Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 22:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Keyboard control with Mac?

Keyboard control with Mac?
2016-08-29, 10:23
RE: Keyboard control with Mac?
Talking Windows here (no idea about Macs). Not sure of the terminology, but how about a "minimise to tray" with right-click options to mute/pause/play/next etc? You can configure it then to always be visible so it'd be two clicks on the task bar, effectively not much different to keyboard shortcuts?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-08-29, 17:32
(2016-08-26 21:51)davidd Wrote:  
(2016-08-26 09:47)AnonyMouse Wrote:  Has anyone developed a way of controlling DS volume from a Mac keyboard?

I run Kinsky in my office and when someone comes in, it is a pain to find the window, click on the stupid volume control wheel, rotate it with the mouse. I'd like to have a set of keys for up/down/mute and maybe even pause.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can just click on the volume control to mute your system, rather than having to rotate the wheel to turn the volume down.

David

One possible option would be using Applescript to create the OP's requested keyboard shortcuts: is Kazoo/Mac scriptable?
Find all posts by this user
2016-08-29, 19:05
(2016-08-29 17:32)wimblehurst Wrote:  One possible option would be using Applescript to create the OP's requested keyboard shortcuts: is Kazoo/Mac scriptable?
That is what I had in mind. Applescript or Automator. Does this need Kazoo to have automation features (or shortcut keys)?

Currently muting is approx 4 actions: move front window out of the way; click to activate Kazoo window; click on volume button to bring up wheel; click on wheel to mute. It should be one keystroke (possibly plus a modifier key) eg Option-F10, mapped globally to call Kazoo and execute the mute action. That function key would then be unavailable to all other applications, which is fine (especially if we can select what it is).

Or I can use a Linn remote control, but my desk has enough clutter as it is!
2016-08-30, 22:42
(2016-08-29 19:05)AnonyMouse Wrote:  
(2016-08-29 17:32)wimblehurst Wrote:  One possible option would be using Applescript to create the OP's requested keyboard shortcuts: is Kazoo/Mac scriptable?
That is what I had in mind. Applescript or Automator. Does this need Kazoo to have automation features (or shortcut keys)?

Currently muting is approx 4 actions: move front window out of the way; click to activate Kazoo window; click on volume button to bring up wheel; click on wheel to mute. It should be one keystroke (possibly plus a modifier key) eg Option-F10, mapped globally to call Kazoo and execute the mute action. That function key would then be unavailable to all other applications, which is fine (especially if we can select what it is).

Or I can use a Linn remote control, but my desk has enough clutter as it is!

Presumably there is some official information about Kazoo's scriptability.... Usually an application has to have certain in-built command hooks which can be interpreted/triggered via AppleScript. One might also just try experimenting with AppleScript and/or Automator.

Alternatively, if using a trackpad ('Magic' or otherwise), this might be useful: < https://www.boastr.net/downloads/ > In principle, BTT should allow programming of specific gestures to mute/unmute, etc. Have not tried this myself as I seldom use Kazoo on the Mac, so YMMV – but in other circumstances BTT can manage quite complicated sets of nested commands.
2017-07-02, 17:08
I thought I'd wake this topic up to see if anyone had tackled this problem successfully yet.

I like instant adjustment of volume or mute. I dislike fiddling around bringing Kazoo to the front and hiding it again (3-4 mouse clicks plus some hunting around in windows) when the phone rings or someone comes into my room.

I'm thinking of buying a Griffin PowerMate USB which would put a nice old-fashioned volume knob onto my (physical) desktop. It seems there is some development work underway to control Roon from this. Anyone know whether such a device could also talk to Kazoo in a background window?

I took a look at AppleScript but I think the application needs to expose some controls and Kazoo (and Songcast) doesn't. Kazoo doesn't seem have to any keyboard controls, nor anything on the menus, for volume. I think we would need Linn to add some keyboard or AppleScript control of volume before we could do anything.

I guess another option would be an application which sends volume commands directly to my Klimax DS using UPnP or LPEC. But it seems simpler for something on my Mac to tell Kazoo.
2017-09-18, 03:02
(2017-07-02 17:08)AnonyMouse Wrote:  I took a look at AppleScript but I think the application needs to expose some controls and Kazoo (and Songcast) doesn't. Kazoo doesn't seem have to any keyboard controls, nor anything on the menus, for volume. I think we would need Linn to add some keyboard or AppleScript control of volume before we could do anything.

Correct, Kazoo is not offering an Applescript dictionary currently and so is not scriptable.

I would be thrilled if Linn added even very basic Applescript controls to Kazoo: volume setting (relative and absolute), play/pause, track skip, etc. This would enable all sorts of options to configure keyboard commands, Griffin knobs, Alfred controls and the like. I've been aching for this for ages and I keep getting disappointed when I check Kazoo for an Applescript dictionary from time to time.

Any way we can talk you into it, developers?
2017-09-18, 08:47
(2017-09-18 03:02)sherkaner Wrote:  
(2017-07-02 17:08)AnonyMouse Wrote:  I took a look at AppleScript but I think the application needs to expose some controls and Kazoo (and Songcast) doesn't. Kazoo doesn't seem have to any keyboard controls, nor anything on the menus, for volume. I think we would need Linn to add some keyboard or AppleScript control of volume before we could do anything.

Correct, Kazoo is not offering an Applescript dictionary currently and so is not scriptable.

I would be thrilled if Linn added even very basic Applescript controls to Kazoo: volume setting (relative and absolute), play/pause, track skip, etc. This would enable all sorts of options to configure keyboard commands, Griffin knobs, Alfred controls and the like. I've been aching for this for ages and I keep getting disappointed when I check Kazoo for an Applescript dictionary from time to time.

Any way we can talk you into it, developers?

+1

LINN: LP12, EKOS 2, Krystal, Radikal, AEDSM, Akubarik Exakt, Karik III
POWER: MFE Power Conditioner NF-3, Goldkabel executive SuperCord Gold
NAS: Synology RS814 (8TB), Minimserver
SAT: VU+ Solo2 Twinreceiver HD
2017-09-18, 14:50
It would be nice if Kazoo had some equivalent of Kinsky's Kompact mode, that could be parked out of the way in a corner of the desktop, and quickly accessed when needed.

David
[/quote]

I miss that too.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-19, 10:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 11:01 by robinf.)
Hi!

How about an icon in the dock that toggles mute?

You can create this by using Automator and LPEC.

Steps:

Open Automator and create a new Document. Choose Application. Scroll down to "Run Shell Script" and drag it to the right area.
Replace the contents with:

Code:
LinnIP=192.168.0.55

Mute=`echo "Action Ds/Volume 2 Mute" | nc $LinnIP 23 | grep "RESPONSE" | awk -F'"' '{print $2}'`

if [ $Mute == "true" ]
then
   echo "Action Ds/Volume 2 SetMute "\""0"\""" | nc $LinnIP 23    
else
   echo "Action Ds/Volume 2 SetMute "\""1"\""" | nc $LinnIP 23
fi

Replace the IP address in the code above with your DS/DSM.
Test the application by clicking on the Run button in the top right corner.
If all works, save the application and name it "Living Room - Toggle Mute" or similar.
In Finder, drag the application to the dock.
You should now be able to toggle the mute state of your DS/DSM just by clicking the icon.

If you like you can set your own icon by copying one from another application, for example Kazoo.

By using LPEC you could write a script similar to this one that, for example, decreases the volume by 15. There are numerous possibilities.

Enjoy!
2017-09-19, 11:14
Hi again,

Sorry, the initial question was using the keyboard.
The same script can be triggered using the keyboard. Instead of creating an application, create a service. An Automator service can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut.