Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Katalyst - tech question to Linn

Katalyst - tech question to Linn
2016-09-25, 22:35
RE: Katalyst - tech question to Linn
Thanks for the quick reply and clarification on a Sunday night !!

Main Room: Klimax DMS Exakt, Klimax Exaktbox, 6100 amp, Ninka activ Tri-Amp via Exakt, Cable Tuner, Blue Ray Player --- Snooker Room: Klimax DSM Renew, LK140, Linn Nexus --- Synology 713, Synology Media Server
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-09-26, 01:17
Thank you murrays for usefull information!

Audiophile NAS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27606&pid=328246#pid328246) - MinimServer
AudioQuest RJ/E Diamond
Klimax Renew DS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17482)
Accuphase p350
Verity Audio Tamino mod - Fostex T90A
Nordost cables
2016-09-26, 03:16
Very the resting thread and can I add my thanks to Murrays for the excellent posts,
2016-09-26, 07:43
Many thanks, Murrays, for the interesting information and useful advice! I will try to get a demo of Katalyst KDS soon, and then wait patiently for the Akurate upgrades to become available. Take your time and do the best possible design! ;-)

AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox, 2*A4200/D, C2200/D, Akubariks
Majik DS-I, Katans
2016-09-26, 07:48 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-26 09:45 by matthias.)
Murrays,
thanks for reporting.
Did you compare the AK4497 to the AK4490 as well?

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2016-09-26, 08:59
Thank's for the insight, extremely interesting Smile
As I like cars, some questions related to power Big Grin
"power is nothing without control"...

(2016-09-25 11:47)murrays Wrote:  The Katalyst DAC architecture allows each process within the conversion chain to have its own dedicated power supply.
(2016-09-25 11:47)murrays Wrote:  and most importantly it gives us access to all the internal reference voltages and supply pins that make the Katalyst architecture possible.
So the old DAC chip had only one power connection feeding all parts of the DAC chip, but the new DAC AK4497 has many that individually feed different parts of the DAC chip ?

This enables you to better control each part of the DAC chip.
But as a consequence you had to split the power coming from the Dynamik PSU (same as in DS/2 I assume?) on the circuit board.
In the DS/2 this wasn't needed.

Did I understood you correctly?

(2016-09-25 11:47)murrays Wrote:  Commonly, this reference voltage is derived from a shared analog power supply, but this can lead to increased distortion as the analog output signal modulates the power supply voltage. The Katalyst architecture enables us to completely isolate the reference level from all external influences
And this is done on the circuit board before feeding the DAC chip, right?

= The dynamik PSU and cable from the PSU to circuit board don't have to be replaced in a DS/2 --> DS/3 upgrade, correct?

See you @ http://www.lejonklou.com/forum
2016-09-26, 09:22
And one regarding digital volume control

(2016-09-25 11:47)murrays Wrote:  Delivering the data at 32-bit resolution means that the digital volume control is now essentially lossless for volume settings above 38.
The DAC interface in previous DS-generations was limited to 24-bits, but the dithering algorithm meant that (in theory, at least) there would still be no loss of information.
With 24bit, what volume setting was lossless (without dithering applied)?

The 24bit to 32bit enhancement will only benefit those using the digital volume control, right?
The "fix-output" setting in KDS use 24 of 24bits in DS/2 and now 32 of 32bits in DS/3 = no quality enhancements as the word length is either 16 or 24bits in supported resolutions.

Any other improvements in the digital volume control in DS/3?

See you @ http://www.lejonklou.com/forum
2016-09-26, 09:58 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-28 11:48 by Briain.)
I'd guess that the DAC capability to deal with to a 32 bit word length might also mean a small improvement of resolution for the[/u] SO part of the process. I'm sure there was once a block diagram showing where that's all achieved, but it's been such a long time since I've seen it, that I can't remember the content. I seem to remember that SO using a >32 bit calculation, then dithered back down to 24 bits prior to being fed into the current Wolfson DAC.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2016-09-26, 10:03 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-28 11:48 by Briain.)
Oops; a double post (apologies for that, but I must have hit reply instead of edit and thus created two). Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2016-09-26, 10:04
(2016-09-25 11:47)murrays Wrote:  The master clock remains largely unchanged. Maybe some small power supply tweaks, but the general clock architecture remains the same.
Thank you Murrays,

one more question, if I may:

Are you also using a different FPGA on the new boards?

Thanks
BY