Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Katalyst - tech question to Linn

Katalyst - tech question to Linn
2016-09-26, 10:25
RE: Katalyst - tech question to Linn
@Music Lover,
according to the AK4497 data sheet the chip needs FIVE power supplies for best performance.

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-09-26, 10:37
(2016-09-26 10:25)matthias Wrote:  @Music Lover,
according to the AK4497 data sheet the chip needs FIVE power supplies for best performance.

Matt

Yes, I was looking at that sheet last night. So I guess one strategy could be 5 PSUs for the KDS, 4 PSUs for the ADS, 3 PSUs for the MDS and a single LM317 for the Sneaky. Tongue Big Grin

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2016-09-26, 11:20
Thank's, what is the DAC chip used in KDS/2 today? Has that only one PSU input?

See you @ http://www.lejonklou.com/forum
2016-09-26, 11:48
(2016-09-26 11:20)Music Lover Wrote:  Thank's, what is the DAC chip used in KDS/2 today? Has that only one PSU input?

The chip is the WM8741, AFAIK it needs two PS, one for analog, one for digital.
But it is possible that the board has only one input from the SMPS and has several local regulators onboard for supplying the different PINs of the chip. The most important thing is that every Power-PIN of the chip has its own high performance regulator.

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2016-09-26, 12:19 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-26 12:19 by Scrut.)
(2016-09-25 22:24)murrays Wrote:  
(2016-09-25 16:54)Charly Wrote:  Thanks for the technical insight!!

Quote:Data optimisation is a marketing-friendly term for upsampling and digital volume control. In the Katalyst DAC we upsample to 768kHz/32-bits before sending the data to the conversion process. Upsampling to 768kHz allows us to take control of the audio spectrum all the way up to 384kHz, eliminating the conversion artefacts that may otherwise be generated by more resource-limited upsampling processes. Delivering the data at 32-bit resolution means that the digital volume control is now essentially lossless for volume settings above 38.

This leads me to a question related to the a future Katalyst Exakt System:

My current understanding is that "today" the volume control is in the DSM and the DAC is in the ExaktBox.
What is required to get the full improvement of the Katalyst Upgrade within an Exakt System:

-- A Katalyst DSM and a Katalyst Exaktbox?
-- Is it possible to upgrade only the ExaktBox and will it deliver the full improvement?

In an Exakt system the volume control is in the ExaktBox, so to upgrade to Katalyst you will only need to upgrade your ExaktBox (once we get round to updating it)

So the clocking that comes from the Exakt DSM would not benefit from the new development?

Sources: Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Dirac Live
Amps: Nord One UP NC500MBs (with Sonic Imagery 994 op amps)
Speakers: B&W 802D2s & 2x SVS SB13 Ultras
2016-09-26, 12:54
NEW "VERITA" AK4497EQ
128dB 768kHz/32-bit 2ch Next Flagship Premium DAC

Audiophile NAS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27606&pid=328246#pid328246) - MinimServer
AudioQuest RJ/E Diamond
Klimax Renew DS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17482)
Accuphase p350
Verity Audio Tamino mod - Fostex T90A
Nordost cables
2016-09-26, 13:10
(2016-09-26 10:25)matthias Wrote:  @Music Lover,

Matt

Audiophile NAS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27606&pid=328246#pid328246) - MinimServer
AudioQuest RJ/E Diamond
Klimax Renew DS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17482)
Accuphase p350
Verity Audio Tamino mod - Fostex T90A
Nordost cables
2016-09-26, 13:38 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-26 13:57 by Briain.)
When I very briefly looked at the spec' sheet (and the output configuration drawings at the end), I noted there was mention of the option to use it in mono mode (to gain a slight increase in performance) so I wonder if Linn are using a pair, or just a single one? If the latter, is that maybe because there's better 'matching' between the two channels when using a single device (or some other reason like that) vs not much extra to be gained by using a pair? Not that it at all matters - it's only what we hear emitting from the finished KDS product that matters - but I was just very mildly curious when reading that.

Of course, there's only so much we should really expect Linn to say about their thinking (and listening based findings); too much and they'd be as well just installing a webcam in their design offices and thus broadcasting every aspect of the design process (and every Linn Design team meeting) to all of their competitors!

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2016-09-26, 16:14
Quote:I wonder if Linn are using a pair, or just a single one?
They're using a pair, clearly visible in the inside shot that came with the press release. Interestingly, the FPGA seems to have disappeared. It used to sit on the DAC side of the mainboard, between the clock oscillator and the two DAC chips. I can't find it on the new board...

[Image: Klimax_DS_Open_Board.jpg]
2016-09-26, 16:21
(2016-09-26 16:14)hifi_guy Wrote:  
Quote:I wonder if Linn are using a pair, or just a single one?
They're using a pair, clearly visible in the inside shot that came with the press release. Interestingly, the FPGA seems to have disappeared. It used to sit on the DAC side of the mainboard, between the clock oscillator and the two DAC chips. I can't find it on the new board...

[Image: Klimax_DS_Open_Board.jpg]

If I am not mistaken it is the large silver square almost dead center

BY