Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 21:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Katalyst - tech question to Linn

Katalyst - tech question to Linn
2017-11-15, 19:51
RE: Katalyst - tech question to Linn
kropka - when can we hope to see more of your fantastic photography please?

On the DAC architecture, I would suggest you do some research on here about the FPGA and the end to end Linn architecture, including the software. Then, when you understand this, your posts will potentially
be more interesting.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-16, 01:02
(2017-11-15 19:28)marklima Wrote:  Hi, Murrays!
Katalyst architecture is capable of dsd native playback via firmware upgrade?

+1
2017-11-16, 07:42
(2017-11-16 01:02)lyapounov Wrote:  
(2017-11-15 19:28)marklima Wrote:  Hi, Murrays!
Katalyst architecture is capable of dsd native playback via firmware upgrade?

+1
The filtering that Linn uses (Digital Volume Control, SPACE Optimalisation, Exakt, other digital filtering) rely on a mathematical fourier transformation that is very easy to do with PCM and is not as easy with DSD.

In the old non-Katalyst devices the only way to get the data to the FPGA would have been through a translation from DSD to PCM in the internals of the Wolfson DAC.
This effectively means that there is no advantage, just extra processing, to bring music as DSD to the DSs.
As that processing has to be done anyway, there is no good reason to do that inside the DS. You can let mimiserver do the transformation on the fly, or use external software and store the music as PCM on your NAS.

Even if it is possible for a DS to process DSD, there is no mathematical advantage to do so.
I haven't read the whitepaper of the AKM DACs that are inside the Katalyst devices, so there might be a slightly more elegant solution available, but I very much doubt so.

My 2 cents.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-16, 11:06
I guess the folk at Linn may have changed their minds since 2013, but I doubt it:-

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread....hlight=Dsd

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2017-11-16, 11:08 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 11:10 by DavidHB.)
To add to Tin's reply, Linn are on record, from as long ago as 2013, that they consider DSD to be an unnecessary and obsolescent format. This is not the place to revive the very lengthy discussion on that topic which is to be found on this thread. But, in view of Linn's position, it seems very unlikely that they have put any engineering effort into making Katalyst, as a complete, integrated system, DSD-capable, whatever the capabilities of its individual components may be.

David

P.S. I now see that mickc got in first ...

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-11-23, 23:15
I upgraded Linn Klimax DS/2 to Katalyst, like a digital source and preamplifier connect to a pair of Cello Encore 150, and the improvement is huge.
Much much bigger than when i upgraded from Akurate DS/1 to Klimax DS/2.
I never believed that improvement could be so fantastic.
Especially for those who love music and not only good recordings.
Waiting for the new improvement although I think it is very very difficult that Linn can improve this source in the coming years.
Thank you LINN.