Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Using Spotify on a Linn DS

Using Spotify on a Linn DS
2016-11-30, 00:40
Using Spotify on a Linn DS
Hi all,

I currently use the Tidal service with my Linn DS system and love the quality, however the playlists are poor and finding new music is not quite as good as it could be as a result.
I wanted to try Spotify (I would still keep Tidal too) as many friends recommend it as a means to better playlist features and as a means to finding more music. I also have a Sonos system and given that my Linn system actually comprises a Linn Akurate DSM I thought that a good option may be to use a Sonos:Connect as they call it as a Digital source (via optical) for my DSM, solely for listening to Tidal (would have to use the Sonos app in this situation).
It also strikes me as a good way to go multi-room audio with the Linn and Sonos combination? Does anyone firstly have any thoughts on the best way to listen to Spotify streams on a Linn DSM system?

Thanks in advance,

Allan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-11-30, 07:15
RE: Using Spotify on a Linn DS
This is a sad story with Linn and Mr. Tiefenbrunn; unfortunately they turn a deaf ear to younger peoples need or wishes. (excuse if grammar is wrong)
I have connected a Google Chromecast Audio to the optical input, but it means another set of cable, power plug and wireless connection within my setup.

Gert Volk A-DSM DAC / M-DSM (TV) / A-DS / LP-12 / Unidisk 1.1 / Expert-200 / Troels Gravesen ATS-4 / SBA16 MTM / Velodyne DD-15 / Roon
2016-11-30, 10:15
There is a chance that Spotify will be integrated with the new firmware. Linn said in one of the threads about the new Davaar versions that they looked into a Spotify integration sometime ago and came to the conclusion that it was not easily possible with the previous releases but Spotify integration would be back now on their to do list now. http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid412313

Thomas

Electronics: Linn Akurate DSM | 2x Linn Akurate 2200 | T+A CD2000 AC | T+A P2000 AC | T+A A2000 AC | Marantz NR1604
Loudspeaker: I.Q Trend 3 | Elac 310 CE | Elac Sub 2030
NAS: Synology DS1512+
Media Server: Synology MediaServer | MinimServer
Network: AVM Fritz!Box 7490 | AVM Fritz!Box 7390 | 3x Cisco SG300-10
2016-11-30, 10:32
@hansen; I always wonder why people tend to put so many of their negative emotions into an answer.
You have no idea if there what the reasons that make the integration dificult and/or it is easy to fit into Linns roadmap.
Let's say that Linn put 3 dedicated developers onto it for the cause of half a year, would you have responded as equally sad "because Linn and mr. Tiefenbrunn have no interest in.." whatever other feature you might want?

Besides, it isn't even really neccesary for Linn to support Spotify; thrird party mediaservers could add support and Spotify themselves could make an spotify mediaserver app that could run on Synology and QNAP NAS devices.

It's very easy to bark upon trees, but you have to be very careful when picking one.
2016-11-30, 11:04
We're not bothered about -ve/+ve

Just want Spotify integrated...

Keep asking...

Living Room: Black Ash LP12/Trampolinn/Lingo 1/Kore/Akito/DV20X2H - AEDSM - Exakt-box - Linn Silvers - Akurate 4200D/1 (2 off) - Ninkas (Upgrade Bases)
Kitchen: Sneaky DS - Komponent 104's
Other: Sonos Play 3 and Sonos ZP90
2016-11-30, 13:23
Sorry, but why do people insist on going off on a tangent every time Spotify is mentioned? I know it's not currently supported and I wish it was, however that Spotify Integration I leave solely in the hands of Linn and it is their choice as to whether or not they choose to support it at some point. My question related to in essence are there any "workarounds" that people have come up with? As I said, if I were to use a Sonos connect and use it as a "source" connected to the DSM, which would then in effect be a DAC/Preamp combo, I know that, that would work but just wanted to see if anyone had tried anything else?
Sorry, but when ever Spotify is mentioned, people turn it into a rant about why Linn won't support it (and that helps no one); I'm sure many people would be interested to hear of others experiences/workarounds and maybe then the rest of us can consider them to give them a try.
2016-11-30, 13:45
I had Spotify Premium for a year (free through work!) and I used to AirPlay it from my iPad.

Mick

Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2016-11-30, 14:06
(2016-11-30 13:23)pugman_blue Wrote:  Sorry, but why do people insist on going off on a tangent every time Spotify is mentioned? I know it's not currently supported and I wish it was, however that Spotify Integration I leave solely in the hands of Linn and it is their choice as to whether or not they choose to support it at some point. My question related to in essence are there any "workarounds" that people have come up with? As I said, if I were to use a Sonos connect and use it as a "source" connected to the DSM, which would then in effect be a DAC/Preamp combo, I know that, that would work but just wanted to see if anyone had tried anything else?
Sorry, but when ever Spotify is mentioned, people turn it into a rant about why Linn won't support it (and that helps no one); I'm sure many people would be interested to hear of others experiences/workarounds and maybe then the rest of us can consider them to give them a try.

I use a chromecast HDMI dongle for spotify - great if your DSM has HDMI port.
If you have a DS without external inputs, airplay (or one of the hacky android equivalents) is probably the best bet....
2016-11-30, 14:19
There is an Android App and a Windows Program available called Timote (previously Spotimote) that can be used to control the Windows Program from your Tablet or Smartphone which then is able to control Spotify. From the PC you should be able to Songcast to your DS/DSM.

Thomas

Electronics: Linn Akurate DSM | 2x Linn Akurate 2200 | T+A CD2000 AC | T+A P2000 AC | T+A A2000 AC | Marantz NR1604
Loudspeaker: I.Q Trend 3 | Elac 310 CE | Elac Sub 2030
NAS: Synology DS1512+
Media Server: Synology MediaServer | MinimServer
Network: AVM Fritz!Box 7490 | AVM Fritz!Box 7390 | 3x Cisco SG300-10
2016-11-30, 15:22
(2016-11-30 14:19)at021971 Wrote:  There is an Android App and a Windows Program available called Timote (previously Spotimote) that can be used to control the Windows Program from your Tablet or Smartphone which then is able to control Spotify. From the PC you should be able to Songcast to your DS/DSM.

Thomas

The Spoitmote workaround is not necessary anymore. You can control the windows program directly from the original iOS or Android Spotify app. It behaves like a Spotify Connect client.

Other solution would be the Chromecast Audio, when no HDMI input is available.

As the Chromecast (Video) with hdmi output has CEC integrated, I think the new DSM will switch source automatically to the connected input.

Regards