Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-21, 21:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Using Spotify on a Linn DS

Using Spotify on a Linn DS
2016-11-30, 15:24
RE: Using Spotify on a Linn DS
The Sonos should work well. I've also used an old Squeezebox Touch for this, although it requires running Logitech Media Server. If you use iThingees, by far the easiest is Rockfather's method of using AirPlay. Spotify's sound quality being what it is, Airplay is more than adequate and it's very convenient to just use the iPad app.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-11-30, 18:21
Since there are many ways to get spotify on the ds today I am not sure native integration would add much bcs you would need an app to control it.
Chances are that the native pc,mac,ios,android spotify are better and easier to use?

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2016-11-30, 20:30
I can airplay Spotify to my DS but it means that you have to launch Spotify on the ipad, then connect Airplay to the DS. All very much a pain in the neck.

It would be so much better if it was fully integrated into Kazoo as then you only have to have launch one app to choose music and control your DS. Lets just hope that it happens soon.

Main: KEDSM, 350's with 4 Tundra Stereos and Akurate Exakt Box 10, 530 rears, Oppo 203, Sky Q.
Office: Renew DS2 and 520’s.
2016-11-30, 20:39
@tin - As you are nearly as long here as I’m, you know how long this request exists.
From my point of view, as a product manager, I find it a risk to disappoint your customer with an easy task over such a long time. The reason has a strategic factor, may be it’s due to Linn Records or any other hidden agreements. Anyway, from a customer’s point of view it is logical requirement.
Acting in this way, while denying such request, means people will start looking around for solutions and they will find them, today. It is also alright to pay for upgrades. Situation in the beginning was different, thanks to the open source and Rick’s Konductor, to Chorus and Songbook for the user interface they gave to us. With this external help, DS streamer have had the best interface, others could not follow. Today, we have Lumin interface, still Songbook, (what about a “Chorus switch” within the new 50+ software for all the former happy users) while the example of Kazoo shows what Linn is willing to learn and adapt. It becomes better.
We are in the age of Roon now – and Spotify. It would be a help if a company in the business could accept the standards that customer are asking for, when it appears to get possibly the best performance in sound and usability for oneself, the wife and children.

Gert Volk A-DSM DAC / M-DSM (TV) / A-DS / LP-12 / Unidisk 1.1 / Expert-200 / Troels Gravesen ATS-4 / SBA16 MTM / Velodyne DD-15 / Roon
2016-11-30, 22:22
As there are viable workarounds, Spotify -is- available on Linn. Okay, so it's not natively, but should they really need to invent another wheel when there are already some decent ones to choose from? Would you really want to put valuable resources on another wheel?

I would prefer Linn to use the resources on issues where there are no workarounds, and new features and products and so on.

If you buy a smart tv, you have a huge chance that after 2 or 3 years you can't use the smart options anymore. A DS0 from 2007 can use SO nowadays, and yet you complain.
2016-11-30, 22:45
(2016-11-30 22:22)Tin Wrote:  As there are viable workarounds, Spotify -is- available on Linn. Okay, so it's not natively, but should they really need to invent another wheel when there are already some decent ones to choose from? Would you really want to put valuable resources on another wheel?

I would prefer Linn to use the resources on issues where there are no workarounds, and new features and products and so on.

If you buy a smart tv, you have a huge chance that after 2 or 3 years you can't use the smart options anymore. A DS0 from 2007 can use SO nowadays, and yet you complain.

Yes, in theory Linn is at the high end of quality, I'd hate to see them put resources into incorporating a service that only provides 320kbps at best. And what about every other music service out there - should we have native Amazon Prime, Google, Deezer, Apple, etc? We have two of the best, highest quality services now in Qobuz and Tidal - airplay is just fine for everything else. Give us Roon integration instead?

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2016-12-01, 22:06
I bought an Amazon Fire TV stick some months back with the main intention of plugging it into my Majik DSM to utilise Spotify Connect. It was quite flaky to start as control with an iPhone had big time lags as well as lock ups. It also wasn't that good even with the Amazon controller. However, I gave it another go last week and Amazon must have ironed out the bugs because it now works well..... from a phone.

Put simply, I can control Spotify with my iPhone and play through the Linn via a TV stick plugged into one of the HDMI inputs. Sound quality is perfectly acceptable and as good as the best internet radio streams. I do not hold to the view that only higher bit rates should be entertained by Linn. If this were the case, then you'd need to remove all radio streams!

Having arrived at this point, however, I would still prefer Spotify Connect to be provided alongside Tidal and Quobuz.

Akurate DSM, Acoustic Energy AE1a
2016-12-02, 01:21 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-02 01:25 by gdp1965.)
I also found with airplay the sound kept cutting out but +1 with the fire stick plugged into hdmi port, it works great.

P.s. With the amazon stick you can get kodi !! (2 birds 1 stone/stick!)
2016-12-02, 07:54
@hansen; according to the last reactions I'm thinking Linn isn't doing it that bad. I'm sure you can come up with at least as many people who do not want to insert sticks, but the younger generation you refer to shouldn't find that a particular problem.
I can't imagine that Linn finds the lack of native Spotify support a big enough problem to allocate precious resources to it, but I've been wrong before, so who knows.

As far as the Roon support, that is a political standoff where Roon wants to control everything and Linn wants to use sharable technology. I support Linn in that mattter and I hope Roon will come to their senses. Roon claims they don't want 'to rule the world', but they don't want to remove the license and share their protocol with the rest of the world either. That is worrysome and I'm sure that Linn shares that worry. Closed protocols are what kept companies and governments locked on Internet Explorer 6 when the rest had already moved on. For an IT guy like me, closed protocols are like the middle ages where the Catholic Church had control over, and effectively stopped, all progress just to stay in power.
It is a very lucrative bussiness model for Roon though, I can't deny that.
2016-12-02, 15:45
lol at the same arguments over and over again, broken record much Wink