Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-20, 00:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Using Spotify on a Linn DS

Using Spotify on a Linn DS
2017-05-17, 20:12
RE: Using Spotify on a Linn DS
My Linn dealer is probably one of the best in the UK.

(2017-05-17 18:26)JPO2005 Wrote:  Sorry, gradually I wonder what level some listen here.

"A lot of the high end demos at my dealers were done with Spotify. And that was with full Klimax Komri/242/350 systems at various times."
Sorry that is for me not a real Linn Dealer.

Main: KEDSM, 350's with 4 Tundra Stereos and Akurate Exakt Box 10, 520 rears, Oppo 203, Sky Q.
Office: Renew DS2 and 530s.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-18, 23:51
(2017-05-17 20:01)Sound Hound Wrote:  I'd much rather listen to a truly great track at 320kbs than some complete garbage cover version at studio master bit rates - Just my 2p

On my side, I'd rather listen to a truly great track with a studio master quality Big Grin

KDSM + KCT/A212 + KEBox/3xKCT/Activ Kef Ref 5 - Qobuz + NUC/HDPLEX - Nordost, Audioquest
2017-08-05, 16:10
(2016-11-30 14:06)rockfather Wrote:  
(2016-11-30 13:23)pugman_blue Wrote:  Sorry, but why do people insist on going off on a tangent every time Spotify is mentioned? I know it's not currently supported and I wish it was, however that Spotify Integration I leave solely in the hands of Linn and it is their choice as to whether or not they choose to support it at some point. My question related to in essence are there any "workarounds" that people have come up with? As I said, if I were to use a Sonos connect and use it as a "source" connected to the DSM, which would then in effect be a DAC/Preamp combo, I know that, that would work but just wanted to see if anyone had tried anything else?
Sorry, but when ever Spotify is mentioned, people turn it into a rant about why Linn won't support it (and that helps no one); I'm sure many people would be interested to hear of others experiences/workarounds and maybe then the rest of us can consider them to give them a try.

I use a chromecast HDMI dongle for spotify - great if your DSM has HDMI port.
If you have a DS without external inputs, airplay (or one of the hacky android equivalents) is probably the best bet....

I am experimenting with Spotify Songcasted from a Windows 10 PC to Klimax DSM.

Just made a comparison of Spotify at 320kbps and a CD rip of the same material - Michael Chapman's Fully Qualified Survivor. The CD rip sounds better to my ears.

Also, my first impression is that Spotify isn't quite as satisfying as 320kbps Radio Paradise on Kazoo.

Could I expect to get better results with a Chromecast dongle?
2017-08-24, 15:09 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-24 15:10 by timster.)
For those interested, the latest firmware Beta has support for Spotify Connect.

See here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/SpotifyConnect

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-24, 16:31
(2017-08-24 15:09)timster Wrote:  For those interested, the latest firmware Beta has support for Spotify Connect.

See here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/SpotifyConnect
Fantastic news! I had decided to sell my DSM, mainly due to the lack of Spotify support, and it almost got sold a few days ago but luckily the buyer changed his mind. Now I will definitely keep it.

Anyone tried yet? I am far away from home for another week and cannot test.
2017-08-24, 16:41
I don't have a Premium account so unfortunately I can't comment. I wonder how many beta testers have Spotify Premium?
I also wonder - have Linn decided to support Spotify Connect because CD-quality is on the way?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-24, 19:38
That's really good news.

And I'm using at this very moment, it seems to work how it's supposed to, e.g. you can adjust the volume directly with the spotify app, title and artist name are displayed. So far so good.

Will see how it goes ...

Majik DSM/1 & Majik 109s
2017-08-24, 19:57
When using the iOS Spotify app, volume can even be controlled with the iPhone hardware buttons ... handling-wise that's a whole new Linn experience (feels almost like a sonos system Wink

@Linn: Thanks!

Majik DSM/1 & Majik 109s
2017-08-24, 22:28
Great stuff! Thank you, Linn.
2017-08-25, 09:42
Hallelujah !! - Better late than never. This is SO much better than the airplay experience. Well Done Linn - THANKYOU !!

KDSM Mk3>Solos>242Mk3, Solo/D>225, Rears: 2200D > 109s, M&K MX350 Sub (Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Oppo 105, Anthem D2v)
2nd setup - Sneaky, Elderly Majiki, 109s, M&K VX7 Sub