Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew

upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew
2017-01-02, 21:55
upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew
i have the option of a
A upgrading from my akurate ds/0 to the latest akurate from linn for £2000

B getting a used klimax ds/1 for about £2600

No from what I have been told I could also sell my pre amp as the new upgrade as got a much better pre amp
So would give me about £800 cash back on the upgrade option

I have a
Krell kav-250 power amp
Krell kav-250p pre amp
kef reference 2.2 speakers

Does any body have the upgraded akurate and for the sake of £800 cash back what would there advice be

Thank you in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-03, 10:00
RE: upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew
If you went for the Klimax Renew, would you be keeping the Akurate DS/0? If not, then the funds from selling that could be added to the sums.

I would go for the Klimax Renew, but not so sure about letting go of your pre-amp. The digital volume control in the KDS/1, although I read that it is improved from the KDS/0 (never made the comparison myself) splits opinion when compared to the analogue volume control in the Klimax Kontrol pre-amp. So it would probably be best to assume you'll need to keep the pre-amp until you've received the Renew and then make the comparison yourself. If you have any other sources in your system, you will need to keep the pre-amp anyway, although you could choose to buy a Klimax DSM/0 Renew which is a KDS/1 with a pre-amp built-in, which will also cost more.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-01-03, 11:31
I agree with Sunbeam about getting rid of the pre-amp.

I haven't heard the KDS/1 in comparison with the ADS/2 (which is what that upgrade would give you), but I'd expect the KDS to sound better than the ADS, albeit not by much, as the Akurate is a a later version than the Klimax. But the clincher from my perspective is that, when you can scrape together a further £3,850, you can upgrade the KDS to /4 (Katalyst) standard. That makes the KDS well worth the price difference. A Katalyst-based ADS is not likely to make an appearance until the end of this year, or more likely 2018.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-01-03, 12:31
(2017-01-03 11:31)DavidHB Wrote:  I agree with Sunbeam about getting rid of the pre-amp.

I haven't heard the KDS/1 in comparison with the ADS/2 (which is what that upgrade would give you), but I'd expect the KDS to sound better than the ADS, albeit not by much, as the Akurate is a a later version than the Klimax. But the clincher from my perspective is that, when you can scrape together a further £3,850, you can upgrade the KDS to /4 (Katalyst) standard. That makes the KDS well worth the price difference. A Katalyst-based ADS is not likely to make an appearance until the end of this year, or more likely 2018.

David

Umm, are we talking a second hand KDS or a Renew? I'd be very surprised to find a KDS/1 at that price, so I suspect it's a Renew - in which case I don't think that can be upgraded (to Katalyst or anything else). I've seen a DS/0 for 4k Euro and a DS/1 for 5k Euro (both in Germany).
Or am I wrong about either?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-01-03, 14:13
(2017-01-03 12:31)timster Wrote:  Umm, are we talking a second hand KDS or a Renew?

Good question. I wondered about that too, but went with what the OP told us. If it's a Renew, my recommendation would change. The £2,000 upgrade to ADS/2 would probably be better value for most people than a £2,600 non-upgradeable KRDS that is two releases out of date.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-01-03, 14:44
(2017-01-03 14:13)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-01-03 12:31)timster Wrote:  Umm, are we talking a second hand KDS or a Renew?

Good question. I wondered about that too, but went with what the OP told us. If it's a Renew, my recommendation would change. The £2,000 upgrade to ADS/2 would probably be better value for most people than a £2,600 non-upgradeable KRDS that is two releases out of date.

David

The OP states KDS/1 renew in the title of the thread.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-01-03, 15:29
(2017-01-03 14:44)bettermusic Wrote:  The OP states KDS/1 renew in the title of the thread.

Oops. One is reminded of Sir Humphrey - "That's right. Always put the difficult bit in the title, where they'll never notice it".

If no ugrades are planned, ever, well and good with the KRDS/1, I suppose. But an ADS/2 that can in due course be upgraded to Katalyst seems like a better proposition.

David

2017-01-03, 15:59
Stuart;
Could you please stop starting a new thread again every time your question alters slightly?
People will re-ask again and again if you need inputs to connect other devices like a turntable and I have no idea anymore what I answered the previous iteation.
2017-01-03, 16:04
Sorry for the previous threads Tin
New to the upgrade path
And as I learn more the question has changed with it the option on what I could do
Regards Stuart
2017-01-03, 16:13
(2017-01-03 16:04)stuart1471 Wrote:  Sorry for the previous threads Tin
New to the upgrade path
And as I learn more the question has changed with it the option on what I could do
Regards Stuart

Of course that would happen or there wouldn't be much point asking the original question Wink
But all the facts is better than some, so best to keep it in the same thread. Hell, if every tangent spawned a new thread it wouldn't be a 'thread' anymore Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs