Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew

upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew
2017-01-05, 15:35
RE: upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew
I haven't heard the krds/1, but I've upgraded from ADSM/1 to krds/2, and I can say the difference is well appreciated!

I think you can find other KRDS/2 for about the same price as a KRDS/1, and the DVC is very good in the /2 variant. Since I don't use any other sources, I don't need a preamp.

KRDS/2 -> A2200 -> M109 & Akurate 226 (silvers & Auralex Subdude)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-21, 11:57
Thank you all for your information and time.
I am going to keep my eyes out for a klimax ds and then save up for the upgrade
That way i can always have the option of the upgrade in future other wise its dead money
And then i can try the preamp section vs my krell pre
2017-09-21, 12:31
(2017-09-21 11:57)stuart1471 Wrote:  I am going to keep my eyes out for a klimax ds ... And then i can try the preamp section vs my krell pre.

A DS has its own volume control, but no pre-amp capabilities otherwise. For those, you would need a DSM.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-21, 13:01
Imo a device is only dead money when it fails and is not serviceable anymore. Investing in a Klimax Renew DS means enjoying a superb price/performance streamer - that you simply upgrade by selling it on once a better version emerges. They go a long way in keeping their value and are unmistakenly an offspring of the original Klimax DS series.

Should you buy into an original KDS then you have the benefit of upgrading to the latest (now KDS3/Katalyst) version, but that upgrade alone buys you a very fine KRDS2. If you don't then performance of KDS0 or KDS1 won't be that far from KRDS2 - so you pay merely for the convenience of the option of upgrading.... talking about dead money...

Another thing: if you do buy a KDS with the intention of upgrading it to the last version, moneywise it does not matter whether you upgrade from KDS0, KDS1 or KDS2 to 3/Katalyst - all upgrades cost the same. So here you could save some money but you have to cope with lesser performance from an earlier version as long as you haven't done the upgrade.

If streaming is your only source then you could do without a dedicated preamp but personally I found the DVC inside a K®DS still not up there when compared with a good preamp. Do try and listen before considering selling yours.

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-21, 13:51
Rolleyes RE: upgarde from akurate/0 to latest akurate vs Klimax ds/1 renew
I recently sold an MDSM/1 and an Akurate Kontrol Pre Amp and bought a "New" Renew ADSM only cost me £120 net . I'm very pleased with its performance, along with recent software upgrades everything is very pleasing musically and practically, SO probably helps with my 67 year old hearing too Rolleyes

Cymbiosis Black Ash LP12, Cirkus, Hercules, Tramp2, Linn Ittok VII, DV20X(L), Renew ADSM, 2xMajik 4100D, Aktiv Misos, Black ICs, K40 speaker cable
2017-09-23, 11:26
(2017-09-21 12:31)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-09-21 11:57)stuart1471 Wrote:  I am going to keep my eyes out for a klimax ds ... And then i can try the preamp section vs my krell pre.

A DS has its own volume control, but no pre-amp capabilities otherwise. For those, you would need a DSM.

David

Hi David
I stand corrected .
I can see if the volume control is as good as my pre amp
I dont use the pre for anything else other then the linn ds