Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 03:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Tidal Goes Hi-Res with MQA

Tidal Goes Hi-Res with MQA
2017-12-31, 12:21
RE: Tidal Goes Hi-Res with MQA
(2017-12-31 11:57)andy2 Wrote:  I actually find it quite interesting to follow here a text book example on the mechanisms of conceit.

Let me explain..

I responded in this thread, post #416, to a demonstrably false and misleading statement on the playback of MQA files over non MQA streamers, namely this statement in post #415 by 'dubselect':

"If the DAC does not support native MQA decoding, these files will be played like 24/44,1 or 24/48 FLAC (depending on the mastering frequency).
So it may still sound better than "standart" 16/44,1 FLAC (CD quality), probably somewhere on the same level as native 24/44,1 and 24/48 Hi-Res files.

With native software MQA decoding (for example, through Tidal app) these files will be 24/88,2 or 24/96 FLAC. With native hardware MQA decoding (embedded in a DAC) they will be 24/176,4 or 24/192 (and might be even 24/352,8 or 24/384).
"

In post #417 by 'kelly200..etc', immediately responded (completely without regards to my point) with a schooling on something all somewhat careful readers of this thread (+ a good deal of the interested public) already know as self evident.

Something of a duh-moment there..

This was then immediately followed up by a rant where 'kelly200..etc' elected to point out that those who criticized him would be further ignorant of the effects of fully processed MQA by choosing to assume that none of us had actually had a chance to listen to such a device and compare.
Quite a stretch and a leap of faith since there are f.i. downloadable hi-rez files on the web that enables A-B:ing straight Flac and fully processed MQA / back to Flac on a Linn Streamer.

I'm forced to conclude, notwithstanding the SQ argument, that the 'kelly200..etc' argument rests entirely on conceit and the intellectual laziness that inevitably will follow, it therefore also completely ignores the elephant in the room, namely the issue of the money grabbing proprietary element of MQA.

-a2
I think it’s about time you became more educated about MQA, before spouting absolute rubbish about it... Rolleyes
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...ted-twist/

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-31, 12:38
Education starts by discussing facts, not opinions.
2017-12-31, 12:45
(2017-12-31 12:38)Tin Wrote:  Education starts by discussing facts, not opinions.

I don’t think a philosopher would see it that way.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-12-31, 12:51
(2017-12-31 12:38)Tin Wrote:  Education starts by discussing facts, not opinions.
In that case, why don’t you go back to school...? Rolleyes
This forum is just as much about subjective opinions, as it is about established facts (whatever they are?) Perhaps you could start by reading Kuhn’s ‘The Structure if Scientific Revolutions’.
Me? I’m happy to discuss qualified opinions with other music lovers here on the
Linn forum.
If you’ve heard the latest Diana Krall album, I’d love to discuss it with you. If you’ve heard DSD downloads, or MQA streams, then I’d love to discuss it with you Wink

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2017-12-31, 13:19
Just a few posts ago you wrote
Quote: think it’s about time you became more educated about MQA, before spouting absolute rubbish about it... Rolleyes
and the moment you realise that that implies that your subjective opinions on MQA will get rectified you try to change the subject again.
Let's stick to the subject if you please... why do you think MQA sounds better?
Is it because of the DRM?
Is it because it is a lossy protocol?
Is it because it has a fancy filter that somewhat works like autotune?
Is it because your DSD capable setup has a buildin preference for MQA over PCM streams?

I think it is because of the 2 latter ones, as I'm pretty sure the 2 former ones are not helping at all.
2017-12-31, 13:26
(2017-12-31 12:45)spannko Wrote:  

I think they would. You first need a baseline of facts before you can start philosophizing about them.
Philosophy depends a lot on the scientific achievements and established facts of its time.
2017-12-31, 13:52
(2017-12-31 13:19)Tin Wrote:  Is it because your DSD capable setup has a buildin preference for MQA over PCM streams?

Guys,
let us not throw DSD into the same pot with MQA.
MQA is PCM.
I like DSD and dislike MQA.
Thanks

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2017-12-31, 14:09
Just watched this video of presentation on MQA given yesterday at a German Hacker-con:

https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-9113-mqa_-_a...drm-trojan

Not much new to those following this thread but a good overview.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.
2017-12-31, 14:11
(2017-12-31 13:52)matthias Wrote:  
(2017-12-31 13:19)Tin Wrote:  

Guys,
let us not throw DSD into the same pot with MQA.
MQA is PCM.
I like DSD and dislike MQA.
Thanks

Matt
That wasn't my intention. I wanted to let Kelly understand that any choice of hardware has implications on the perceived results. Which makes all testing of software formats very difficult, and objective testing impossible.
A player that can do multiple formats has dedicated hardware for different types of streams.
But let's rephrase it to
Quote:"Is it because your MQA capable setup has a buildin preference for lossy MQA over losless WAV/FLAC streams?"
2017-12-31, 14:40 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-31 14:57 by andy2.)
(2017-12-31 12:45)spannko Wrote:  

I think most philosophers would agree:

A fact is verifiable.

An opinion is a judgement based on facts.

What we see here as assertions from certain parties are prejudices made from half baked opinion based on the assumption that publications like 'TAS' would produce articles with any other objective than selling their magazine or to service their platinum partners in advertising.

Sorry for the name-drop, but Ivor Tiefenbrun, on the subject of hi-fi journalists, once told me that "the public most often mistakes the most confused for the most informed".

-a2

AEDSM >Klimax Lp12 > KatExktBox10 >>
Linn Silvers > 4200 / 2x5100 > K400 & K600 > Mk1 242s on Solid Stands
ExktBox Sub > 2xLinn 221