Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / MQA looks bad for music. Let me explain.

MQA looks bad for music. Let me explain.
2017-01-17, 11:11
RE: MQA looks bad for music. Let me explain.
Totally agree Jim.

A very well put statement.
I think MQA will go the way of DVD-Audio & SACD & the Elcaset.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-17, 17:30 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:41 by Jim Collinson.)

This post was removed by a moderator because it didn't abide by our Forum Guidelines.

2017-01-17, 18:01 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:41 by Jim Collinson.)
(2017-01-17 17:30)TG04 Wrote:  

This post was removed by a moderator because it didn't abide by our Forum Guidelines.

Not quite.
If you want to make a comparison you'd have to look in the corners of CCTV, speed cameras and the east German Stazi.
2017-01-17, 18:09
Are all these new members suddenly appearing to defend MQA in any way to be taken seriously? It's quite stunning how quickly something so obviously bad be turned into something we should all accept because of some ideology that's sold to folks as a panacea for some non-existent problem that the few have created for their own ends. So yes, it should be taken seriously. But comments such as TGA04's shouldn't be.
I weep for humanity.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-01-17, 19:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:47 by Jim Collinson.)

2017-01-17, 20:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:49 by Jim Collinson.)

2017-01-17, 23:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:50 by Jim Collinson.)
(2017-01-17 20:24)TG04 Wrote:  

Godwin's law hit us. Sadly!

I agree the Nazi/Stasi comparison goes way to far. Encryption and DRM is a tricky topic and difficult to find the right language and metaphors.

Tin's heavy handed comparison aside I still view Jim Collinson's original post as once of the best informed and thought provoking contributions to the MQA debate to date.

Nothing on the many commercial sites and mags dedicated to audio get's even close to this level of analysis of the business landscape MQA emerged from.

The fact that such an analysis got posted as a private opinion in some corner of a manufacturers message board and was not researched and developed by a journalist should raise eyebrows. The true scandal here is the current state of the audio press.

Safe journeys TG04. Perhaps we can talk again in two or three years. By then we'll see how MQA has panned out and if they are not just rent-seekers trying to feast on gullible audiophiles. So far they look like such and I see little evidence to the contrary. But hope dies last and maybe you are right.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-01-18, 00:01 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:50 by Jim Collinson.)
(2017-01-17 23:05)mcgillroy Wrote:  
(2017-01-17 20:24)TG04 Wrote:  

Godwin's law hit us. Sadly!

I agree the Nazi/Stasi comparison goes way to far. Encryption and DRM is a tricky topic and difficult to find the right language and metaphors.

Tin's heavy handed comparison aside I still view Jim Collinson's original post as once of the best informed and thought provoking contributions to the MQA debate to date.

Nothing on the many commercial sites and mags dedicated to audio get's even close to this level of analysis of the business landscape MQA emerged from.

The fact that such an analysis got posted as a private opinion in some corner of a manufacturers message board and was not researched and developed by a journalist should raise eyebrows. The true scandal here is the current state of the audio press.

Safe journeys TG04. Perhaps we can talk again in two or three years. By then we'll see how MQA has panned out and if they are not just rent-seekers trying to feast on gullible audiophiles. So far they look like such and I see little evidence to the contrary. But hope dies last and maybe you are right.

No worries. I have enjoyed many Linn downloads, have about 4 GB split equally between classic and contemporary. Too bad there was no "24 bits of Christmas" last year. I do like the Scottish artists especially, such as Dougie McLeod for instance. Would be great if you could re-issue prior generation local sons like Donovan or Bert Jansch. Suppose Mark Knopfler is too big now, but maybe there are some odds-and-ends to be found.
2017-01-18, 06:59
I did not make a nazi comparison.

If you open up your history books you will find that the stasi was the east German secret service renowned for getting their hands in other peoples homes. The KGB were a bunch of amateurs compared to them.
And the fact that I made the comparison CCTV, speed cameras, stasi should have been a massive clue for those who somehow do manage to remember luddites but not more modern history.

I think TG04 is more worried about Timsters remark that he in fact is an MQA employee or affiliate (and no, that doesn't means nazi either) and that he deliberately took my remark out of proprtion to take away the attention from Timster.

TG04 made a rookie mistake earlier by mentioning that MQA is cheaper than DSD playback, unaware of the fact that DSs do no do DSD.

And as a sidenote; nazis were real people like you and me, and not in any way related to a fictionary figure.
2017-01-18, 09:52 (This post was last modified: 2017-01-18 09:53 by Jim Collinson.)
Back on track folks. And no more Nazi chat please: inappropriate and unnecessary.