Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Katalyst Majik DSM

Katalyst Majik DSM
2017-01-18, 15:54
RE: Katalyst Majik DSM
Klimax Kat has the output transformers to distinguish it from Akurate Kat, just as the previous generation architecture did/does.

Maybe Majik is upgraded to current Akurate architecture rather than gaining Kat?

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-18, 16:30
I doubt there's very much room inside a Majik Exaktbox-i. Probably not enough room to swing a Kat!

I'll get me coat...

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-01-18, 18:10
(2017-01-18 15:54)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Klimax Kat has the output transformers to distinguish it from Akurate Kat, just as the previous generation architecture did/does.

It has different circuitry around the DAC as well. Throw in a shiny case and it's amazing what you get for nearly 10k isn't it?

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2017-01-18, 18:49
(2017-01-18 15:54)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Klimax Kat has the output transformers to distinguish it from Akurate Kat, just as the previous generation architecture did/does.

I was very interested (actually, more like surprised) to hear a difference between the ADSM and KDS when both were used to feed Klimax Exakt crossovers (okay, it wasn't huge, but at that level of system - which was worth over £100k - relatively small differences are exactly what you expect) and if I were in the market for that level of system, I'd want to have that improvement and thus I'd certainly have a KDS to feed my Klimax crossovers and half-tonne of Solo amplifiers. Back on topic and I noted that Phil mentioned the differences were down to the better clocking in the KDS, so that implies another difference - and one that I was not aware of, until that event - between Akurate levels of DS and Klimax levels of DS.

(2017-01-18 15:54)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Maybe Majik is upgraded to current Akurate architecture rather than gaining Kat?

Personally, I would have thought that in the fullness of time, the new DAC will be used in all DS products, as there are many other ways to distinguish them from each other. Based on my first comment, the clocking architecture could be one of them, but there's also the quality of the voltage references in the 5 power supply feeds to the DAC, then also the quality of the operational amplifiers (in the analogue stages after the DAC) as well as the on-board regulation stages feeding them. Of course, as you say, when considering the Akurate to Klimax differences there's also the transformer isolated output stage and half a tonne of difference in the case (so better immunity from the bass vibes).

Just a final caveat (but a very important one) to clearly state that I have absolutely no insider knowledge of Linn Products (well, I do know my way to the Linn canteen, and I also my way to the Linn toilets, plus I know that there's beer in the Linn Home fridge) so all of the above is pure speculation; I am just a wildly guessing customer, just like the rest of us on this very fine forum!

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-01-18, 20:17
(2017-01-18 18:10)HearNoMore Wrote:  

It has different circuitry around the DAC as well. Throw in a shiny case and it's amazing what you get for nearly 10k isn't it?

I was comparing Klimax Kat to the unannounced potential Akurate Kat. I wasn't comparing existing DAC vs Katalyst DAC.

I think Briain's points around deliberately knobbling the DAC power supplies would be a shame. Once the design work is done, the cost of the bits to supply the various stable voltages and high quality clock aren't that expensive.

Briain - are you sure that there is a better clock in the Klimax DS vs the Akurate EDSM? Or is it that there a better clock in the Katalyst Klimax DS vs the Akurate EDSM?

It would be interesting to see Majik get some form of Katalyst, but repackaging existing Akurate level would be more cost effective and maintain a clear gap.

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-01-20, 16:47
(2017-01-18 20:17)sunbeamgls Wrote:  
(2017-01-18 18:10)HearNoMore Wrote:  

I was comparing Klimax Kat to the unannounced potential Akurate Kat. I wasn't comparing existing DAC vs Katalyst DAC.

I think Briain's points around deliberately knobbling the DAC power supplies would be a shame. Once the design work is done, the cost of the bits to supply the various stable voltages and high quality clock aren't that expensive.

Briain - are you sure that there is a better clock in the Klimax DS vs the Akurate EDSM? Or is it that there a better clock in the Katalyst Klimax DS vs the Akurate EDSM?

It would be interesting to see Majik get some form of Katalyst, but repackaging existing Akurate level would be more cost effective and maintain a clear gap.

So was I. Klimax DS3 £15,800. Current Akurate DS £4,600. Even with a price increase for Akurate Katalyst that's still around £10,000 difference. Fortunately existing Klimax owners can upgrade for much less. I do wonder how many new Katalyst Klimax DS/3s Linn are going to sell, when you can pick up an older DS/1 or even DS/0 and upgrade it for around 50% of the cost of a new one. Linn also need to be careful that any Akurate DS price increases don't get close to buying an old Klimax DS + Katalyst upgrade cost.

As for knobbling the DAC power supplies and the design work already done, that's the whole point. Linn have to do something to reduce the cost for Akurate and maintain a performance difference between Klimax and Akurate, commensurate with the cost difference and perceived value (which will of course vary by individual). They don't want to risk alienating Klimax owners by releasing something almost as good for £10,000 less! The Katalyst upgrade has actually made the difference in price seem more "reasonable", and you could argue that leaving Akurate and Majik as they are gives a clear differential between product levels. However, Linn then miss out on all the Akurate owners splashing out on upgrades.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2017-09-11, 10:57
In the light of Akurate Katalyst being announced, any more thoughts on when it'll hit Majik? Its come to Akurate fairly quickly. Series 5 next then Majik?
2017-09-11, 11:15
(2017-09-11 10:57)Thombo30 Wrote:  In the light of Akurate Katalyst being announced, any more thoughts on when it'll hit Majik? Its come to Akurate fairly quickly. Series 5 next then Majik?
The Akurate DSM and separate Exaktboxes don't even have Katalyst yet.
I still wouldn't recommend holding your breath.
2017-09-11, 12:03
I‘d bet on Majik Katalyst landing in

...early 2019.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.
2017-09-11, 13:21
(2017-09-11 12:03)mcgillroy Wrote:  I‘d bet on Majik Katalyst landing in

...early 2019.

Sounds about right to me. I reckon we'll get an announcement on Akurate DS's and Extaktboxes in December with availability early 2018 (Feb/March). Majik range to follow the same cycle 12 months later.

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's