Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / 2017 Network Setup Guide - recommended devices & Software

2017 Network Setup Guide - recommended devices & Software
2017-02-05, 10:55
2017 Network Setup Guide - recommended devices & Software
What is the best way to set up a network environment for Linn Ds Systems without spending on a melco?

What the have read on forums so far. ( lejonklou is very good )

Most Linn / Naim people use a LPSU powered switch as last device before the Streamer. It should be within 1m of the Streamer (short cable) on an anti vibration platform.
A good budget psu is friwo mpp15 (better than Ifi ipower)

The netgear gs108 or gs108t is the very best cheap switch (no not gs105 or others, all tested) there are audiophile tweaked versions from ppa and aqvox available.

The most important Ethernet cable is the one that goes into the Streamer. The top 3 budget Ethernet cables are 1. Supra cat8, 2. Chord c-stream, 3. AQ cinnamon
For everything else a cheap MicroConnect SSTP CAT6 WHITE LSZH SSTP603W is recommended.

Asus and netgear routers seem popular. Some use the router as nas and disable the wifi part and use a separate wap instead.

The best storage is battery powered and 1. Cf card, 2. Sd Card, 3. Ssd, 4. HDD
I am not sure if that is only applicable to USB streaming yet.

I guess I could try a Rpi as Nas with wifi disabled, 512 gb SD card, into a gs108 switch + asus Router, all friwo powered.

My question would be if a audiophile switch would clear everything before and I could use a Nas-capable all in one router like Synology rt1900ac?

When Nas, Router and Streamer are connected to a switch, does the data from the Nas ever go through the router or will it go directly from the Nas to the Streamer?

What will I lose if I use basic Dlna function of a router instead of minimserver on a nas? What is the minimum recommended ram and CPU?

Could I use a rpi 3 as nas?

My travel system : RKDS1 + Grimm Audio TPR XLR + Neumann KH120AW Studio Monitors
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-02-05, 11:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-02-05 11:46 by Tin.)
RE: 2017 Network Setup Guide - recommended devices & Software
Quote:When Nas, Router and Streamer are connected to a switch, does the data from the Nas ever go through the router or will it go directly from the Nas to the Streamer?

It will go directly from the NAS to the streamer unless you have a very complex network setup using VPNs and/or different subnetting. But you wouldn't be asking this if you were doing that, so the answer is 'directly'.

Quote:Could I use a rpi 3 as nas?
Yes. But I doubt it will give you any improvement over a normal NAS and a lot more to worry about.

As for the other questions; Let's say you have 2000 of moneys to buy cables, and you spend 1500 of it on a network cable, and the rest of it on interconnects and speakercables, have you done it correctly, or would have been better off with 1990 moneys on interconnects and speakercables and the remaining 10 on the UTP cable?

Unless you already have everything in your setup at Klimax level you might be better off saving for normal upgrades instead of worrying about the things you seem to worry about.
I don't mean to be rude, but your setup is like having a Ferrari engine in a shopping trolley and you are worrying about the effect of a paintjob on the performance.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-02-05, 13:08
(2017-02-05 11:45)Tin Wrote:  but your setup is like having a Ferrari engine in a shopping trolley and you are worrying about the effect of a paintjob on the performance.

Don't mind me - just here stealing quotes. And I'm definitely using that in future...

Regards, Mike
2017-02-05, 14:32
(2017-02-05 13:08)MikeSpragg Wrote:  
(2017-02-05 11:45)Tin Wrote:  but your setup is like having a Ferrari engine in a shopping trolley and you are worrying about the effect of a paintjob on the performance.

Don't mind me - just here stealing quotes. And I'm definitely using that in future...
Can't wait until I'm on the short end of that. Probably somewhere before noon tomorrow.

I have another one for you; it is best to keep a single, clearly identifiable bottleneck in your setup so you never have to worry about stilts, mats, cabinets, utp-cables and the myriad of other possible tweaks that some people spends lots of time and money on.

You know what the issue is,you know how you could fix it, so problem solved and nothing to worry about. But as soon as you actually remove it, gone are those happy days.

2017-02-05, 17:16
(2017-02-05 14:32)Tin Wrote:  

Can't wait until I'm on the short end of that. Probably somewhere before noon tomorrow.

I have another one for you; it is best to keep a single, clearly identifiable bottleneck in your setup so you never have to worry about stilts, mats, cabinets, utp-cables and the myriad of other possible tweaks that some people spends lots of time and money on.

You know what the issue is,you know how you could fix it, so problem solved and nothing to worry about. But as soon as you actually remove it, gone are those happy days.

AKA, or the short version: Better the Devil you Know.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-02-05, 20:03
(2017-02-05 17:16)timster Wrote:  
(2017-02-05 14:32)Tin Wrote:  

AKA, or the short version: Better the Devil you Know.
We don't have a saying for that in the Netherlands, but I don't mind knowing that my amplication is the weakest link.
Maybe I'll upgrade it one day, but I won't be worrying about powersupplies and network adapers before I have a full stack of Solos. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

2017-02-05, 20:45
Oh Lord, here we go again. Spend your time listening to music and not on fancy cables and switches.

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ittok LV-II/Arkiv/Lingo/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/Wakonda/LK140/Katans
Spares: 2250/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-02-05, 21:56
Forget Melco, fancy cables and all that. Get a NAS, some Cat6, any router and spend the money saved on holidays, your partner or acoustic treatment and be a happier man!

Seriously acoustic treatment does wonders.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-02-06, 04:50
I get the point and I wouldn't buy a melco or a 1000$ cable - but still , wouldn't it be nice for beginners to have a guide for the right budget network components?

Users over lejonklou & jplay have experimented with switches and cables and have found differences - and they dont want to sell anything. Why neglect it and make fun of it?

They even experimented with the torque of the screws in the DS and found favourable settings. Even a Ferrari benefits from maintenance, the right tyres, and suspension setting...

My travel system : RKDS1 + Grimm Audio TPR XLR + Neumann KH120AW Studio Monitors
2017-02-06, 05:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-02-06 05:16 by 1kevin.)
Just use normal NAS(qnap, synology bafferlo, etc), normal router, normal cat5 cable and normal power supply which comes with these devices, all will be fine and so good.

I know different nas, different router/switch, different cable sounds different. But in adjustment, from A to B, there are many ways. You don't have to achieve some adjustment only on network part. you can adjust speaker placement, or especially now you can adjust all frequencies in Space Optimization easily and digitally. Which save a lot of money/work, and also more accurate.

By the way, I have a melco n1a, I don't think it makes sound quality better than my qnap. They are just different sound. By buying a melco and hoping most problem will be solved is not possible. Melco is still a good machine, for its very user friendly and good functions. not good sound, IMHO.

Akurate LP12 + Akubarik Exakt