Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Apple Airplay2 - what do you think Linn? A discussion

Apple Airplay2 - what do you think Linn? A discussion
2017-06-07, 09:21
RE: Apple Airplay2 - what do you think Linn? A discussion
"It would also be more logical, I think, to have all those protocols in a NAS/Musicserver as they become more and more the centre of our digital homes, instead in our playback devices."

Right, that is the better way.

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-07, 09:46
(2017-06-07 09:16)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-06-07 08:32)sunbeamgls Wrote:  You're right in some ways Tin, but you miss a vital point. Market share.

Linn needs to stick to its open principles but also carefully pick and choose a selected mix of proprietary protocols to run alongside. Tidal an qobuz are good examples. To attract new customers, being compatible with Apple and Android would look to be a wise move in attracting new customers to the fold.

A digital headphone amp would be another one (which also complements the DS line).
The vital point is that Linn will have to make choices and cannot do everything. But sure, marketshare is an issue as well.

It would also be more logical, I think, to have all those protocols in a NAS/Musicserver as they become more and more the centre of our digital homes, instead in our playback devices.

As for the headphone, wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to trade your AEDSM for an ADSM?
Gives you an easier Exakt Surround path as well.

Funnily enough... it may well be that Roon could be the answer to that. My understanding is that Roon's "core" interfaces with iTunes and Tidal (according to their little diagram on the front page of the website). So I imagine it could include Spotify etc. eventually.
So now I'm thinking Roon may be the answer...

As for the headphone amp - I don't think that changing an KEDSM for a KDSM would be quite so cost effective Wink

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-06-07, 10:01
Would be nice re ROON and Spotify as I truly believe their next move to combat Apple Music will be offering a full res streaming option - however I think that might not be in the cards. As a new ROON user (thank you $300 SonicOrbiter for tiding me over while I wait for Linn) I recently have been perusing their forums. I seem to recall seeing that they were in talks with Spotify and spent quite a bit of time and resources working on an implementation- only to see Spotify back out at the last minute.

Once bitten twice shy and all that.

I would not rule out Apple Music though. Beta versions of iOS11 can now play FLAC. Maybe all of these services will make us DS users happy and finally provide full resolution options.

Have you tried ROON? I am one week into it. WOW is all I can say. I will never fire up Lumin again - it will join the dustbin and keep company with Kazoo

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Tranquility/Radikal/Urika/Aro/Kandid/Chord Music/Vulkan shelf
KDS/3-Chord Music
Find all posts by this user
2017-06-07, 10:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-07 10:06 by JPO2005.)
Here a high-end headphone amplifier with studio converter for ripping:
https://www.rme-audio.de/products/adi_2-pro_ae.php

RME is some of the Best Interfaces on the market.

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
2017-06-07, 13:22
"Hey Siri, turn the lights down and play Kind of Blue on my DS."
2017-06-07, 13:29
(2017-06-07 13:22)AndyV Wrote:  "Hey Siri, turn the lights down and play Kind of Blue on my DS."

"Rubbing his eyes".......

Am I dreaming?
Anyone who says that would not be amazing is simply fooling themselves.

It simply confirms what I said in my opening post. Once "future" audiophiles are used to something like this they will NEVER step backwards into something like Kazoo

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Tranquility/Radikal/Urika/Aro/Kandid/Chord Music/Vulkan shelf
KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-06-07, 14:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-07 14:34 by AndyV.)
(2017-06-07 13:29)glevethan Wrote:  
(2017-06-07 13:22)AndyV Wrote:  "Hey Siri, turn the lights down and play Kind of Blue on my DS."

"Rubbing his eyes".......

Am I dreaming?
Anyone who says that would not be amazing is simply fooling themselves.

It simply confirms what I said in my opening post. Once "future" audiophiles are used to something like this they will NEVER step backwards into something like Kazoo

You're not dreaming, you can use voice input right now to play music or movies or radio on your iPhone or iPad .. including through your wireless headphones. Add in AirPlay capable devices and you'd have voice driven multi room. To me it's not so much about what future audiophiles expect, they will always put up with the inconvenient and the archaic, it's about what future ordinary people expect, and once you've used voice input why would you want to go back to all that tap tap click click scroll scroll click nonsense when you can just talk to a watch on your wrist.
2017-06-07, 16:07 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-07 16:22 by Briain.)
Amusing when you think about it...

Back in the late 70's and early 80's - when we discovered the criticality of having single speaker demonstration rooms - I remember some folks (okay, perhaps rather acoustical extremists, but that included some folks who used to work for Linn Products, by the way) claiming that even the presence of a digital watch (with its tiny little beep transducer) was more than enough to completely corrupt the sound of a moderately decent Hi-Fi system. Today, people have things with relatively large speakers, like their TV sound bar - and even things like the Amazon Echo - sitting in their lounges (as well as all the transducers in tablets and phones) so maybe it's high time that we revitalised all that single speaker business, got shot of all this modern gadgetry and instead just used an IR remote and Kinsky Jukebox to select and play our albums? Tongue

Actually, jesting aside, I'd really rather like to use a tabletop booklet, and IR remote and Kinsky Jukebox (which needs to have a way of exporting the numbers into a spreadsheet, such that it could be converted into a booklet; I currently use MP3TAG and the MS Access reports feature for creating a booklet, so it would be hyper-cool if I could import the [future version of] Dukebox album numbers into that, and it would then be trivial to tie the two tables together in a database query sourced report). Smile

Bri

NB Of course, currently we can't - 'cause Kinsky Dukebox was unceremoniously busted in Davaar 50 - so that's also a very subtle hint to the Linn programme manager, too! Big Grin Big Grin

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-06-07, 16:20 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-07 16:20 by timster (RadiatorCatHammock).)
Jukebox exported to PDF which you can print as a booklet. At least I managed it. Back then. When it hadn't been broken.
If we're poking Linn... please make the new improved Jukebox replacement run on Synology Wink

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-06-07, 16:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-07 16:50 by Briain.)
(2017-06-07 16:20)timster Wrote:  Jukebox exported to PDF which you can print as a booklet. At least I managed it. Back then. When it hadn't been broken.
If we're poking Linn... please make the new improved Jukebox replacement run on Synology Wink

Yes, that would do a fine job, but a CSV (though not using commas; they are too common in the tags) text file would be really handy as that would permit you to manipulate the report into the format of your choice. I started creating booklets many years ago (then printed them and put them in these multi-page A4 flimsy booklets) and I found that | (the pipe symbol) was a great choice, as thus far, I have never seen it used in the on-line metadata sources (none of my collection has a pipe in the tags; I know as if it did, it would have corrupted the database).

So, in my case I set MP3TAG to scan the entire collection, then exported the data as a pipe separated volume, then imported that into MS Access (again set to use |) and I could then create really nice reports (for example, like AlbumArtist Albums for most stuff, then Composer AlbumArtist Albums for classical, but I also had several other variations).

The nice thing about doing it that way is the capability to format the report, so you could - just as an example - have a layout something like the below (which is similar to how I had it set up):
Code:
AlbumArtist 1
         Album 1
         Album 2
         Album 3

AlbumArtist 2
         Album 1
         Album 2
         Album 3

If another table contained that (and the Dukebox code) you could easily lay it out to look something like the below:

Code:
AlbumArtist 1
         Album 1         Code 1
         Album 2         Code 2
         Album 3         Code 3

AlbumArtist 2
         Album 1         Code 4
         Album 2         Code 5
         Album 3         Code 6

When printed, something that would look really good (and, of course, also be immensely useful). Smile

Anyhow, apologies for drifting off-topic, but it really isn't that far adrift, as I would far rather see time spent on restoring Kinsky Dukebox than on supporting some fancy new Apple feature (that I will never use) but I do also totally realise that I will be in the minority!

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)