Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-24, 06:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Static electricity with the new style felt mat.

Static electricity with the new style felt mat.
2017-06-27, 18:47 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-27 18:48 by tamblers.)
Static electricity with the new style felt mat.
I received the new, smaller felt mat with my Radikal upgrade. It seems much worse than the old one in adhering when you lift a record off. Sometimes it stays attached until you peel it off, other times it will fall off and flutter to the floor where you're no longer sure which side is up. The old style mat went all the way to the edge of the outer platter making it easy to put two fingers on when you lifted a record. The new one ends before the record edge and no contact is possible until it's above the spindle. I assume any manner of affixing the mat to the platter is frowned upon as well as marking the mat to indicate which side is up. Using a carbon cleaning brush doesn't seem to help. I'd be willing to invest in a Zerostat if that would improve things.

I'd be interested to know the reason for the smaller size mat. Perhaps they have decided it's not needed until inside the run in grooves and are trying to save felt. If so, that's a shame.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-27, 18:51
RE: Static electricity with the new style felt mat.
There's nothing to stop you marking the underneath of the mat with a couple of stick-on paper dots, near the centre hole. Similarly, nothing to stop you holding the mat down with a couple of small strips of doubled sided tape. IIRC, Linn recommended that in the early days.

'troll
2017-06-27, 18:53
It is misguided to think of Linn as being so cheap as to try to carve off a ha' penny's worth of felt.

I think your observation is random. I am running both new and old mats, and there's not a nano-Coulomb of charge difference between them.

I guess YMMV applies.

Just listen .... or not
2017-06-27, 19:38
I think the amount of static present is dependent on the environment that the table resides in. The comment on Linn saving felt was meant as a joke. Perhaps they will comment on what improvement has resulted in making it smaller.

When it was full size it was easy to put two fingers on the felt and pull the record away. The felt was visible at the record's edge. Not possible now making a process I've been doing with my LP12 for over 30 years more awkward.
2017-06-27, 20:12
I for one had a lot of static on what ever mat I used , took away the table lamp near the TT and static has gone, no longer on my knees to pick up mat when fallen to floor Smile

Main system, Lp12 Lingo 3, Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, tiger-paw tranquility, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280x2, Kudos. Kan11’s

Lounge, Sneaky DS, kan’s

Kitchen, Kinekt room amp, sweetspot speakers. Streamed via Tidal.
2017-06-28, 07:17
Re size of the mat.

It should be sized to fit just inside the outer raised lip of the platter .
Oversized matts that overlap that lip will not support the record corrrectly over its entire surface.

The nature of felt is such that that some mats may shrink over time and some drift a little out of shape so that the overlap the lip over part of the circumference.

Both benefit from changing because if a mat "shrinks" in terms of diameter , it will have expanded a liitle in depth and will not sound quite so good a new one .
2017-06-28, 07:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-28 07:43 by tamblers.)
The new one is well inside the raised lip of the outer platter. About the distance of the run in groove of a normal lp. Much smaller than the mat it replaced. With an LP on the platter you can't see any sign of it and I'm sure the outermost part of the record is not being supported.
2017-06-28, 07:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-28 07:58 by smokestack.)
The outermost part of the record is often a bit thicker... and will only be the run in groove area...not a problem. It's the playing aea that should be in good intimate contact with the record. Smile
2017-06-28, 08:30
Milty Zerostat don't solve the problem. I've been using it for some years now.
It helps, but sometimes mat still adheres to vinyl.
Since I started to use Furutech Destat 3, the problem is gone.
Destat is expensive and I hesitated long before I bought one, but it really does what its promised to do.