Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-17, 18:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Price of linn lp12 plinth?

Price of linn lp12 plinth?
2017-06-27, 22:08
Price of linn lp12 plinth?
I know everything has a price in this world.

Can someone explain how four pieces of wood, mitred, and a few blocks of wood costs £525!

I took my plinth to a craftsman cabinet maker and said how much would this cost to make? A one off he said £30 materials and a hours work.

I told him they were £525, he laughed and said you are been conned?

I told him the belt rubber drive belt was £50?

Must cost 20p to make? We are been conned , sorry we are fools

Anybody wanna buy a LP 12.? My gyrodec looked and sounded better...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-27, 22:12
RE: Price of linn lp12 plinth?
Would you care to stop trolling?

'troll
2017-06-27, 22:15
Not being cheeky, but seems you are new to the LP12 world, correct me if wrong, read a few of your posts.
My suggestion ...... do a bit of searching , reading..... so much information and advice here.
Enjoy and learn, so much to be gained, as I have learnt.
Welcome.

Main system, Lp12 tranquility , trampoline 2 , Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, lingo 3, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280/Spark x2, Kudos. Kan11’s, silvers.

Lounge, Sneaky DS,LK 280, Kan’s

Kitchen, Kinekt room amp, sweetspot speakers. Streamed via Tidal.
2017-06-27, 22:26
(2017-06-27 22:08)dvddvd Wrote:  Can someone explain how four pieces of wood, mitred, and a few blocks of wood costs £525!

For your reading pleasure...http://www.woodsongaudio.com/wood.html Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-06-27, 22:28 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-27 22:32 by dvddvd.)
I've dipped my toe in the Linn LP12 world and I'm shocked at the prices of mundane spares for the LP12, explain how a rubber band costs £50 ? It's not trolling it's been honest.

The phrase " it's easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled"

I read that but it's still 4 pieces of wood?
2017-06-27, 23:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-27 23:30 by LD100.)
(2017-06-27 22:28)dvddvd Wrote:  I read that but it's still 4 pieces of wood?

Indeed, but those 4 pieces of wood sat drying as timber in the craftsman's lumber yard for perhaps 10 years. The rent for the space, the electricity and security cost all add to the price of the wood before it is even cut into 4 pieces.
Then the cost of the different saws has to be factored in and the time to measure and measure again to make sure you have the critical dimensions correct so that the top plate and other parts of the turntable fit with precision.
Advertising cost, health insurance, etc., all add up to a grand or more when the final product reaches the customer.
My personal plinth will be 40 years old next year and looks brand new, no warping, pulling at the miters or cracking of the wood...I think it was well worth the cost. Smile
[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=3...w=no_count]

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-06-28, 01:23
(2017-06-27 22:08)dvddvd Wrote:  I know everything has a price in this world.

Can someone explain how four pieces of wood, mitred, and a few blocks of wood costs £525!

I took my plinth to a craftsman cabinet maker and said how much would this cost to make? A one off he said £30 materials and a hours work.

*A modern LP12 plinth is far more complex that 4 blocks of mitred wood. There's not a chance he can make one in an hour. Quite a few hours, then get it finished, packaged, shipped etc. Linn makes a profit, the dealer makes a profit.*

*They are custom ordered and made precision ground belts, far from 20p, and again, Linn and the dealers are running a business with overhead. I just looked up the belt for your gyrodec and it's an off the shelf "O" ring for 22 pounds.*

*Then your LP12 must be very poorly setup and I suggest make sure you properly hear it before you sell it.*

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-06-28, 03:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-28 15:46 by kiko65.)
A properly serviced/set up LP12 will be miles ahead of any gyrodec. Please visit your local dealer for a full LP12 inspection/tune up and the gyrodec will be out the door in a flash Big Grin

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Majik Standard Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + AkurateD CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2x AV5125D + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2017-06-28, 07:33
(2017-06-27 22:08)dvddvd Wrote:  I know everything has a price in this world.

Hmmm... £30 wood and an hour to make? You are barking.

I'm not a fan of some of the finishes of the current LP12 plinths, but as one who deals in wooden items on a daily basis, I'd say that there is more to the thing than meets the eye, and it's not bad value. The precision to which a modern LP12 plinth is made is very high indeed, and even a skilled cabinet maker would need to be very careful to get one 'right'. There are concealed joints, an inbuilt routed channel for the bracing, the wood must be seasoned correctly and stable, and the precision of woodwork second to none. They are really not just four bits of mitred wood. As such I think their cost is fair, and I'm always looking for ways to save money. Wood is not cheap these days, which is why most furniture (oak excepted, because oak *is* relatively cheaper) isn't wood.

That said, the earlier plinths in the "Greaves of Sheffield" era were by and large much more attractive, but this is in part due to the more recent items not being permitted to be made of the same species of wood as some of the Greaves. The braced versions of the Greaveses were in my opinion the best stock plinths Linn ever made, especially in rosewood (not "rosenut") or walnut. A dealer mentioned that the Greaves plinths suffered from a high reject rate at the factory though? Wood was cheaper and more plentiful in the '70s to early '90s. You could buy dining tables made out of solid teak at high-street prices.

Some of the latest finishes are marred by the use of what appears to be a semi-translucent spray finish. Rosenut the worst offender. I'd not give one houseroom, but most of the other finishes seem OK if slightly uninspiring. I'm told oak is nice.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP!2 Wakonda/Black Ittok/K18, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2017-06-28, 07:58
How long do you think it would take to make a plinth?