Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Price of linn lp12 plinth?

Thread Closed 
Price of linn lp12 plinth?
2017-07-05, 08:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-05 08:23 by smokestack.)
RE: Price of linn lp12 plinth?
(2017-06-28 07:33)Hamstall Wrote:  
(2017-06-27 22:08)dvddvd Wrote:  I know everything has a price in this world.

Can someone explain how four pieces of wood, mitred, and a few blocks of wood costs £525!

I took my plinth to a craftsman cabinet maker and said how much would this cost to make? A one off he said £30 materials and a hours work.

I told him they were £525, he laughed and said you are been conned?

I told him the belt rubber drive belt was £50?

Must cost 20p to make? We are been conned , sorry we are fools

Anybody wanna buy a LP 12.? My gyrodec looked and sounded better...

Hmmm... £30 wood and an hour to make? You are barking.

I'm not a fan of some of the finishes of the current LP12 plinths, but as one who deals in wooden items on a daily basis, I'd say that there is more to the thing than meets the eye, and it's not bad value. The precision to which a modern LP12 plinth is made is very high indeed, and even a skilled cabinet maker would need to be very careful to get one 'right'. There are concealed joints, an inbuilt routed channel for the bracing, the wood must be seasoned correctly and stable, and the precision of woodwork second to none. They are really not just four bits of mitred wood. As such I think their cost is fair, and I'm always looking for ways to save money. Wood is not cheap these days, which is why most furniture (oak excepted, because oak *is* relatively cheaper) isn't wood.

That said, the earlier plinths in the "Greaves of Sheffield" era were by and large much more attractive, but this is in part due to the more recent items not being permitted to be made of the same species of wood as some of the Greaves. The braced versions of the Greaveses were in my opinion the best stock plinths Linn ever made, especially in rosewood (not "rosenut") or walnut. A dealer mentioned that the Greaves plinths suffered from a high reject rate at the factory though? Wood was cheaper and more plentiful in the '70s to early '90s. You could buy dining tables made out of solid teak at high-street prices.

Some of the latest finishes are marred by the use of what appears to be a semi-translucent spray finish. Rosenut the worst offender. I'd not give one houseroom, but most of the other finishes seem OK if slightly uninspiring. I'm told oak is nice.

I'd echo all of that..

...and yes, If anybody were to start building plinths today from some of that beautiful old "Santos" Rosewood....they'd probably be jailed for life ! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-05, 16:01
I have had a beautiful plinth made in 25 year aged natural Ash of desired moisture content by a long established joiner friend. It was allowed to stand for 9 months before final finishing because I was not in a hurry & this was advised. It cost a fraction of the price of a Linn plinth but he asked me never to ask him to do that again (says he does not like to have to do THAT accurate). It is identical to a modern Linn plinth sans the metal corner brackets. I have had 2 Afro fluted Linn plinths warp on me in the life of my LP12. Cost approx GBP120. It's flat & true with biscuit mitre's etc. Routed corner braces etc. Staple & glued battons like Linn use & no doubt not as structural as Chris Harban's screwed jobs. It's fine for me. Can't decide whether to give it a few more coats of lacquer. At present the raised Ash grain is quite visible & I think I like it that way.
2017-07-05, 16:44
The question here is whether the plinth can affect the sound quality of the final product. Without a doubt, the resulting deck will be very dependent on an a high quality, accurate stable plinth. The type and density of the wood will have an effect too. Wood is not an easy material to work with , because it needs to be seasoned and aged , for maybe years at a time.

This sort of rotation and careful stockpiling costs money, but in the end it will be worth the expense, because the quality of the final product will be enhanced both aurally and visually.
Do you really want a veneered chipboard plinth ? I don't. £30 down the pan that could have bought a couple of albums.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-05, 18:20
Indeed plinths affect sound. That's why I selected Ash. Many believe that the Black Ash plinths have always sounded the best of the standard Linn range. I also happen to like what Ash looks like left natural & grain matched so did not want it sprayed black.
2017-07-06, 00:00
(2017-07-05 18:20)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Indeed plinths affect sound. That's why I selected Ash. Many believe that the Black Ash plinths have always sounded the best of the standard Linn range. I also happen to like what Ash looks like left natural & grain matched so did not want it sprayed black.

That was always the spin my local dealer gave me. It fell on deaf ears (!?) because I always went for fluted and a pretty wood!

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2017-07-06, 03:05
(2017-07-06 00:00)Hamstall Wrote:  That was always the spin my local dealer gave me. It fell on deaf ears (!?) because I always went for fluted and a pretty wood!

I have three stock Linn plinths. One from 1976, one from 1989, and one from 2015. All three are square and true. No warping or other wood defects. The latter two are in current use in my systems.

I can't help but wonder if people whose plinths warp might not be subjecting them to heat or humidity excursions beyond the range that wood and glue prefer. We keep the house and the workshop under temperature and humidity control due to the archtop and flattop guitar collection, and the plinths benefit from this near perfect environment. I've been wagging that 1976 plinth around for over 30 years, and it's never shown signs of warping. Granted, the newer versions are graced with several improvements, including bracing and/or the extra motor corner fixing.

I've done a fair amount of fine woodwork as a gunsmith and as a luthier.

Our usual approach in both fields is to intentionally raise the grain several times during the finishing process, and to use cabinet scrapers to shave it off. The process is repeated as many times as is necessary ... in other words, until the grain no longer rises with application of finishing media.

This allows you to obtain the final smooth finish that most people associate with high quality wooden artifacts. Only after the grain has been raised and scraped several times is the final finishing process begun. Raised grain in a finished piece would bother some ... and I am in that group.

FWIW, you can listen to the LP12 plinth with a stethoscope and it will give you some indication of the condition of your motor and how well it's mounted. Motor energy goes into the top plate, and then on to the plinth.

The fellow who said that it would take an hour to make a current spec LP12 plinth may not be a careful worker, or perhaps he is unaware of the special issues that accompany the hand crafting of fine furniture. Or perhaps his remarks have been incorrectly reported. Or perhaps he was handed one of the early picture frame plinths, like mine from 1976 (which has no corner bracing and is quite simple in every detail).

You can take a look at the quality of the many plinths that are presently being offered. Stamford is advertising plinths on eBay now. A fellow who is actually located in Canada but has an eBay store out of the USA is advertising what he calls "Limm" plinths. I think I've seen some from Spain too. They're all modestly priced compared to the stock plinths or the Woodsong plinths, but close examination of the photos shows me that the stock and the Woodsong plinths are generally of higher quality.

It is easy to criticize and kibitz. It would be much harder to build a plinth you would be proud of in an hour.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2017-07-06, 03:18
(2017-07-06 00:00)Hamstall Wrote:  That was always the spin my local dealer gave me. It fell on deaf ears (!?) because I always went for fluted and a pretty wood!

Me too! Smile

Although I never saw a CH plinth, no matter what wood type, that I didn't love! Wink

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-07-06, 03:27 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-06 03:30 by LD100.)
(2017-07-06 03:05)Peer Gynt Wrote:  I can't help but wonder if people whose plinths warp might not be subjecting them to heat or humidity excursions beyond the range that wood and glue prefer. We keep the house and the workshop under temperature and humidity control due to the archtop and flattop guitar collection, and the plinths benefit from this near perfect environment. I've been wagging that 1976 plinth around for over 30 years, and it's never shown signs of warping. Granted, the newer versions are graced with several improvements, including bracing and/or the extra motor corner fixing.

My 1978 Linn plinth has also been under temp and humidity controlled conditions due to respiratory ailments on my part and have no problems with warp or miter damage.
I wonder if the fact that I have never had a warm circuit board inside the plinth may have helped with temperature control?
I still use the original line driven motor after almost 40 years. Should be almost broken in. Big Grin

[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=3...w=no_count]

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-07-06, 03:37
(2017-07-05 16:01)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Can't decide whether to give it a few more coats of lacquer. At present the raised Ash grain is quite visible & I think I like it that way.

Leave her be...that natural ash grain is the cats whiskers! SmileSmileSmile

2017-07-06, 03:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-06 03:45 by Glyn Ruck.)
Both of my plinths that warped were of the old unbraced corner variety and happened at high altitude (Johannesburg ~ 1 753 metres above sea level) & in very dry air conditions. Moderate temperatures. I was particularly disappointed about the original that had beautiful grain. I then moved offshore on long expat global assignment & the Linn went into storage for over 20 years.

I'm now permanently retired at coast & hoping for better luck. Timber can be a crap shoot!

(2017-07-06 03:37)LD100 Wrote:  
(2017-07-05 16:01)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Can't decide whether to give it a few more coats of lacquer. At present the raised Ash grain is quite visible & I think I like it that way.

Leave her be...that natural ash grain is the cats whiskers! SmileSmileSmile

Yes ~ I think that is wise advice. Wink
Thread Closed