Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-24, 20:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Aro Earth Cable - How to install on Sondek?

Aro Earth Cable - How to install on Sondek?
2017-06-27, 23:42
MyBB Aro Earth Cable - How to install on Sondek?
As above please gents. I've picked up and Aro and Armageddon and have been installing it tonight but cannot figure where the two end of the Aro earth cable attach? One is bare and one has a spade connector which I assume connects to he amp as per usual. So does the bare end route back underneath the Sondek and connect to the chassis, also does one retain the standard earth cable from cross member to sub-chassis? I did look at peters thread but still couldn't really tell what was going on in the pics. Thanks all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-28, 00:07
RE: Aro Earth Cable - How to install on Sondek?
(2017-06-27 23:42)Lewis Wrote:  As above please gents. I've picked up and Aro and Armageddon and have been installing it tonight but cannot figure where the two end of the Aro earth cable attach? One is bare and one has a spade connector which I assume connects to he amp as per usual. So does the bare end route back underneath the Sondek and connect to the chassis, also does one retain the standard earth cable from cross member to sub-chassis? I did look at peters thread but still couldn't really tell what was going on in the pics. Thanks all!
Here's a link to the install manual which shows the wiring inside the table.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/372395/Naim-Aro.html

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-06-28, 07:42
(2017-06-28 00:07)bettermusic Wrote:  
(2017-06-27 23:42)Lewis Wrote:  As above please gents. I've picked up and Aro and Armageddon and have been installing it tonight but cannot figure where the two end of the Aro earth cable attach? One is bare and one has a spade connector which I assume connects to he amp as per usual. So does the bare end route back underneath the Sondek and connect to the chassis, also does one retain the standard earth cable from cross member to sub-chassis? I did look at peters thread but still couldn't really tell what was going on in the pics. Thanks all!

Thanks. I do have that manual but I still couldn't really figure it out! So from that diagram it looks like the earth lead doesn't connect to the back of the amp on the usual fashion? Also where does the end of the cable go that has no tab on it? Does something need to be soldered on for example? Thank you again.
2017-06-28, 11:21
(2017-06-28 07:42)Lewis Wrote:  
(2017-06-28 00:07)bettermusic Wrote:  

Thanks. I do have that manual but I still couldn't really figure it out! So from that diagram it looks like the earth lead doesn't connect to the back of the amp on the usual fashion? Also where does the end of the cable go that has no tab on it? Does something need to be soldered on for example? Thank you again.

I guess I can't really tell without a picture, but the end of the ground wire with the rca plugs should connect to the ground post on the preamp. Maybe the connector just came off. You can use bare wire or get a "Y" connector soldered back on to make it easier.

If that's not what you mean, maybe you could post a picture?

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-06-28, 15:56 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-28 16:19 by Cymbiosis.)

Yes and yes. The spade connector half way along the earth is for the phono stage and yes the unfinished end of the earth wire doubles back and attaches (soldered on) like this:

[Image: togip6.jpg]

Please read that section of the guide and note the need to ensure the Aro earth wire running to the spade connector is secure as we do not want this wire to impede suspension movement!

Here's a link to post 64 on the Brief Guide to Set-up thread where there are a number of images showing how the earth on an Aro is connected to not only Valhalla and Lingo but also a Geddon http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...941&page=7

I have literally thousands of photos for set-up but the one shown above is really the best I have currently.

If you require further help you can pm or email me but please bear in mind that I'm fielding a lot of set-up questions these days in addition to looking after my own clients so please forgive any delays in response. Or why not contact your Linn Retailer and ask him to set up your Aro for you as this arm demands careful set-up if you wish to get the levels of performance many talk about, otherwise you may wonder what all the fuss is all about Smile

Kind regards,

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
2017-06-28, 18:00
(2017-06-28 15:56)Cymbiosis Wrote:  

Yes and yes. The spade connector half way along the earth is for the phono stage and yes the unfinished end of the earth wire doubles back and attaches (soldered on) like this:

[Image: togip6.jpg]

Please read that section of the guide and note the need to ensure the Aro earth wire running to the spade connector is secure as we do not want this wire to impede suspension movement!

Here's a link to post 64 on the Brief Guide to Set-up thread where there are a number of images showing how the earth on an Aro is connected to not only Valhalla and Lingo but also a Geddon http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...941&page=7

I have literally thousands of photos for set-up but the one shown above is really the best I have currently.

If you require further help you can pm or email me but please bear in mind that I'm fielding a lot of set-up questions these days in addition to looking after my own clients so please forgive any delays in response. Or why not contact your Linn Retailer and ask him to set up your Aro for you as this arm demands careful set-up if you wish to get the levels of performance many talk about, otherwise you may wonder what all the fuss is all about Smile

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Ok so to recap, the spaded end halfway along the Aro cable goes to the rear of my Naim amp the same as the cable on my previous ittok for example, and the bare end should be soldered to - the subchassis or the spade of the Armageddon earth then just bolted on in the usual fashion? I appreciate you're a busy man so just reply when you can! Smile thanks
2017-06-28, 19:15
Excuse the brevity but I'm on my iPhone and boarding out my sons loft this evening
However, just look at the picture and all I hope is clear, you will see the ARO earth wire and solders on to the earth tag on the crossmember securing stud just where the yellow and green Geddon earth wire is attached.

Regards, Peter

Tel 0333 200 4475
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
2017-06-28, 20:03
(2017-06-28 19:15)Cymbiosis Wrote:  Excuse the brevity but I'm on my iPhone and boarding out my sons loft this evening
However, just look at the picture and all I hope is clear, you will see the ARO earth wire and solders on to the earth tag on the crossmember securing stud just where the yellow and green Geddon earth wire is attached.

Regards, Peter

No trouble thanks Peter. So does it matter whether insolder it to the earth tag (the original one that spans the chassis) or the earth tag from the 'geddon?
2017-06-29, 07:39
Ok so I got this done last night. For ease of installation and removal etc, I've soldered a neat new earth tag onto the bare end of the Aro cable and installed it as per Peters photos above. There's a lot of cabling out the back of an Aro it's not as simple/tidy as the Ittok in that respect! Anyway illl add some photos as soon as I can upload them to Photobucket.
2017-06-29, 14:20
(2017-06-29 07:39)Lewis Wrote:  Ok so I got this done last night. For ease of installation and removal etc, I've soldered a neat new earth tag onto the bare end of the Aro cable and installed it as per Peters photos above. There's a lot of cabling out the back of an Aro it's not as simple/tidy as the Ittok in that respect! Anyway illl add some photos as soon as I can upload them to Photobucket.

Ok fine and remember that if you are unsure, have a word with your local Linn Retailer who can help you.

KR

Peter

Tel 0333 200 4475
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com