Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-07-21, 09:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Lead out groove...

Lead out groove...
2017-07-08, 22:52 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-08 22:59 by John Hirsch.)
Lead out groove...
After a Keel Clone and Tranquility upgrade, my Akito 2 rebounds sharply back to the grooves after the end of the record on several discs. On one record it even skips a few grooves and replays them. This happens on both the A and B sides on this record.

Should I increase the anti-skating force?

John Hirsch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-08, 23:48
RE: Lead out groove...
I would try decreasing the anti skate force.
2017-07-09, 08:45
Also worth checking the arm lift/lower platform isn't catching, it may have been knocked out of place during the rebuild.

"There ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk"
2017-07-09, 11:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-09 11:20 by Hamstall.)
(2017-07-08 22:52)John Hirsch Wrote:  After a Keel Clone and Tranquility upgrade, my Akito 2 rebounds sharply back to the grooves after the end of the record on several discs. On one record it even skips a few grooves and replays them. This happens on both the A and B sides on this record.

Should I increase the anti-skating force?

John Hirsch
Buggered bearings as per?

If it didn't do that before, I'd investigate how tightly the arm has been tightened up after transplant on the Keel. Over-tightening the collet on the arm tube can do that because it can distort the lateral bearing race.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP!2 Wakonda/Black Ittok/K18, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure M95. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2017-07-11, 03:05
Looks like Glyn was right - an anti-skate adjustment from 2 to 1.8 fixed the problem.
Thanks Glyn!

John Hirsch
2017-07-11, 03:50
Only a pleasure. Set up the anti-skate by ear. I'm not convinced that the Akito dials are all that accurate.
2017-07-11, 14:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-11 14:42 by francescopaolo.)
My personal method to determine the antiskating value irrespective of the tonearm scale accuracy.
Place the cartridge on the smooth side of an LP and find, starting from 0, the value of as for which the cartridge doesn’t move towards the center of the LP. This is the minimum value.
Always with the cartridge on the smooth side, continue to increase the value of as until the cartridge is pulled out of the disc. This is the maximum value.
In the range between these two values of as is the right value to be determined by ear.
regards. francesco

No man is an island. No man is a sea.
2017-07-11, 16:05
In days gone by I used to measure equal distortion in both channels with a scope. No longer have a scope. Donated to a kid who would use it.