Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / LP12/DSM Songcorder rips - convert wav to flac?

LP12/DSM Songcorder rips - convert wav to flac?
2017-07-09, 14:38
LP12/DSM Songcorder rips - convert wav to flac?
I've been ripping vinyl from my LP12/Klimax DSM with Doom Hammer's Songcorder. I use Soundforge 9 to split up tracks convert from wav to flac and mp3Tag to add titles, etc. The results are pretty good - once an LP is ripped, I don't need to get the vinyl copy out of its sleeve again.

However, I have a problem in that Soundforge doesn't work very well with flac files. This issue is discussed on other forums. The program tends to corrupt files. If I just split the rips for each LP side into wav files everything works fine.

Am I losing anything by ditching flac altogether and sticking with wav all the way through the process? Also, is there an alternative to Soundforge that works with flac?

On another issue, Kazoo is slow to recognise the big 24bit/192Hz files on my ten year old ReadyNAS. Is it time for me to buy a new NAS?

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards, John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-09, 16:05
RE: LP12/DSM Songcorder rips - convert wav to flac?
(2017-07-09 14:38)Newton John Wrote:  I've been ripping vinyl from my LP12/Klimax DSM with Doom Hammer's Songcorder. I use Soundforge 9 to split up tracks convert from wav to flac and mp3Tag to add titles, etc. The results are pretty good - once an LP is ripped, I don't need to get the vinyl copy out of its sleeve again.

However, I have a problem in that Soundforge doesn't work very well with flac files. This issue is discussed on other forums. The program tends to corrupt files. If I just split the rips for each LP side into wav files everything works fine.

Am I losing anything by ditching flac altogether and sticking with wav all the way through the process? Also, is there an alternative to Soundforge that works with flac?

On another issue, Kazoo is slow to recognise the big 24bit/192Hz files on my ten year old ReadyNAS. Is it time for me to buy a new NAS?

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards, John

I use Audacity which works pretty well, is relatively easy to use and which will record directly to FLAC.

Timster did a nice "Dummy's Guide to Audacity" which you be able to be found with a search.

Here it is!

Cheers

Roy

Main System: 1976 LP12 (with some updates till 1985), DV20X2L, ADSM Renew, Kaber Active X-over + 3x LK140, K600, Kabers, (Naim CD 5i, no longer actively used)
2017-07-09, 20:00
Audacity has a really fast and easy function to cut the wav file and name the songs.

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-09, 22:36
Yup. I used to use Audacity to do the recording, but now prefer songcorder (it is superb - 192/24 for analogue recording). This creates a WAV, so I just import that into Audacity to do the track splitting and naming as described in the guide (well done for finding it RMA!), and basic metadata, then "export multiple" to flac (remembering to use level 8 (uncompressed) and 24-bit in Options!). Then mp3tag to do the rest of the metadata and album art.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-07-11, 15:52
Thank you for the very helpful repies. Regards, John
2017-12-24, 10:06
Songcorder for Mac is now available, but it requires a bit of Terminal skills to run as of yet. For those adventurous enough, head to https://doomhammer.github.io/songcorder/

As for the FLAC conversion and other features such as autosplitting and autotagging they are on my wishlist and I hope to get back to slow but steady development in the new year. For those that want to contribute to the development, there's a donate button on the bottom of the site.
2017-12-24, 12:01
(2017-12-24 10:06)DoomHammer Wrote:  Songcorder for Mac is now available, but it requires a bit of Terminal skills to run as of yet. For those adventurous enough, head to https://doomhammer.github.io/songcorder/

As for the FLAC conversion and other features such as autosplitting and autotagging they are on my wishlist and I hope to get back to slow but steady development in the new year. For those that want to contribute to the development, there's a donate button on the bottom of the site.

Thanks for the excellent work!

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV
2017-12-24, 19:28
(2017-12-24 12:01)JensA Wrote:  
(2017-12-24 10:06)DoomHammer Wrote:  Songcorder for Mac is now available, but it requires a bit of Terminal skills to run as of yet. For those adventurous enough, head to https://doomhammer.github.io/songcorder/

Thanks for the excellent work!

I have prepared a short guide for digitizing vinyl on a Mac with Songcorder and Vinylstudio which you can download here

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV
2017-12-28, 12:02
It's also available in the Downloads section on the Songcorder page now!