Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-07-21, 09:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / My 3rd LP12 and ThomasOK.

My 3rd LP12 and ThomasOK.
2017-07-10, 02:18
My 3rd LP12 and ThomasOK.
Well, something really nice happened to me. With the help of this forum and it's members I am progressing through the LP12 world. Thank you. My supreme thanks and respect go to ThomasOK. Thomas had each of my first two LP12s playing so well that I was very reserved about going deeper into the LP12 world. They looked and sounded beautiful. I was so attached to my first LP12, it sounded great, that I didn't want to let it go as I was gaining the second LP12 but when I played the second LP12, there was no going back. The first LP12 was all Linn, beautiful, no Cirkus, Valhalla, Basik LVX, Adikt. The second LP12 was all Linn, Cirkus, Lingo 1, Basik LVX, Adikt. That was a lesson and an ear opener. I was quite pleased with my second LP12 and reluctant to move further until I found my third, irresistible, LP12. It came to me dismantled and ThomasOK took it from there. It was like being in the front row of a concert watching him putting on a show, assembling the LP12. Fingers like Beethoven. When we played the first record I knew it sounded great. My second LP12 was right there and connected to the same preamp and system as the new(er) LP12. We took the record from the new LP12 and played it on the second LP12. Immeadiately, because of what I was hearing, I thought something was wrong. It was startling. The second LP12 was suddenly 'quite different' compared to the new LP12. Frankly, I was shocked at the difference. It must have been on my face because Thomas showed a wily veteran grin. All of the great reviews on here of similar experiences apply to me, too. I didn't really know what was possible until it happened right in my own listening room. I had heard amazing, maxed out, LP12s in the shop but in my own listening room was better. The familiarity of the room, I suppose. What a nice fettle, Mr. ThomasOK! Thank you!
I have a sad camera and I haven't been able to figure out how to post a picture on the forum. I try but haven't been able to post a picture, yet. I will keep trying.
Oh, the third LP12? The new(er) one? It's a black ash plinth, with a Trampoline II, Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, Kandid. Nice!
They are all nice!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-10, 04:06
RE: My 3rd LP12 and ThomasOK.
Congratulations on the new deck!
It sounds great - literally.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-10, 15:45
(2017-07-10 04:06)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Congratulations on the new deck!
It sounds great - literally.

Which of them sounds better?

LP12- Cirkus, LVII, Troika- Linto- Exotik- Quad 303- Kabers
Ikemi- Teddydac- Exotik- Quad 303- Kabers
2017-07-10, 16:47
Your tongue is hopefully very tightly pushed against your cheek with that question...................

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-10, 18:19
(2017-07-10 16:47)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Your tongue is hopefully very tightly pushed against your cheek with that question...................

The Force tells me that all that is new and shines is not always better...

LP12- Cirkus, LVII, Troika- Linto- Exotik- Quad 303- Kabers
Ikemi- Teddydac- Exotik- Quad 303- Kabers
2017-07-10, 20:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-10 20:53 by The Flatearther.)
(2017-07-10 18:19)Mirage F1 Wrote:  
(2017-07-10 16:47)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Your tongue is hopefully very tightly pushed against your cheek with that question...................

If you don't think a Klimax SE LP12 with a Kandid always sounds better, then you're listening to the dark side!

I stand with Eddie on this. The Kandid is the most musically engaging cartridge on the planet!

Of course the deck does need to be built by a Jedi. Thank goodness Peter Swain is a master. LOL

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim 52 / 250 amps - Linn Isobariks.
2017-07-10, 22:48
... I enjoyed my LP12s over the 8ish years that it took to arrive where I am today. Really enjoyed them a lot. Didn't have a turntable when I bought the first LP12. I didn't know what a Valhalla was. I had no knowledge of the different parts with funny names and upgrades associated with Linn. I didn't have any records, either. I was fortunate to be close to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where ThomasOK was fettling. He made that LP12 sing, and I had a blast with it. Really enjoyed it. Loved it.
Then I found another LP12 in the back of the audio shop where some 'regulars' hung out. That LP12 came from one of the regulars (like the first LP12). It was there for about a year and I wonder why I am the one? There were other LP12 dudes coming and going. Other people looking for a used turntable. This one had a Lingo which I didn't know what a Lingo was. It had a Cirkus which I didn't even know it was in there nor what it was. And it had what I thought was a cool looking Alphason tone arm. And the fluted plinth was very nice. So I thought it would be great to have two turntables. So ThomasOK swapped the Linn Basik for the Alphason on the second LP12 (because I wanted that table to be all Linn), and when I heard it at home, although I loved my first LP12 and wanted to keep it forever, I didn't think I would be listening to that first LP12 again. That surprised me. I traded the first LP12 toward the second LP12. And the party just kept rolling. Over time I heard LP12s at ThomasOk's shop and became more knowledgeable about upgrades and parts and sound. I really liked the second LP12 and then the one I have now appeared abruptly and I was able to get it and am I ever happy! It combines all the things I've learned so far about audio and reveals it with pleasure. There has been so much good harmony with each of the LP12s that they become a part of your life. I bet that sounds crazy? The newest LP12 is really adding something beautiful to the journey. Whew! It sounds mighty good.
It's about day 4 with the 3rd LP12. It's good that I didn't lock myself into any one of the LP12s.
2017-07-11, 00:35
When I learned what a Cirkus was and a Lingo and more, it added to the enjoyment of the LP12. I heard the differences that those upgrades provided and followed the forum and thought to myself, "Really? Can it sound that much better? Are those guys exaggerating?"? I began thinking that I would plan to try the upgrades as I could, without urgency. It seemed a good way to experience each upgrade as the LP12 changed. But then this LP12 came, all in one, a golden opportunity, and I went for it. My only regret is not experiencing the upgrades one at a time. But I'm not thinking about that very much.
2017-07-12, 00:01
(2017-07-10 18:19)Mirage F1 Wrote:  

All that glitters is not gold ... but the upgrade path for the LP12 is real, sure enough.

Power supply, subchassis, arm, cartridge. Cirkus assumed.

If you're not able to hear it, be suspicious of the set up.

I've had the pleasurable experience of going from a 1982 spec deck to a Radikal, KEEL, Ekos SE/1, Krystal in stages over three months. At every level I thought that it was incredibly good, and yet the next level was better.

I am jonesing for the Uphorik and Kandid now. Logic tells me things can't get much better, but experience tells me that the Kandid and Uphorik are worth a trial. I'll probably wait until I've given the Krystal a good workout. Maybe I'll even consider the Urika at that point.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-12, 01:21
It would be fun to experience Krystal to Kandid.
I went from Adikt to Kandid.
Talk about flying to outer space!