Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-07-21, 09:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Ultrasonic Record Cleaners

Ultrasonic Record Cleaners
2017-07-10, 18:25
Ultrasonic Record Cleaners
Any body try one of those two ultrasonic cleaners...one uses only distilled water and the other uses a cleaning fluid. The other obvious difference is that one has nothing actually touching the record and the other has cleaning brushes? They are both in the neighborhood of 4K in price.

I was intrigued by the idea of dropping the lp in the slot like a piece of bread in a toaster, especially the one that only contacts the record with water and ultrasonic waves.

But for 4K I would like flowers and a romantic evening included.TongueTongueTongue

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-10, 18:43
RE: Ultrasonic Record Cleaners
And possibly a companion too.
I know someone who had an Audiodesk ( is that the right name ) ultrasonic cleaner and he wasn't very impressed at all. It has gone to be replaced by an Okki Nokki which does actually work. He had a shedload of money left over too.
Paying more is no guarantee with an RCM at all. Russian Oligarchs might like to blow a fortune but that doesn't mean it does the job better. It just costs more.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-10, 18:47
(2017-07-10 18:43)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  And possibly a companion too.

Indeed that is a requirement, I can have a romantic evening alone for free.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-07-10, 20:58
(2017-07-10 18:47)LD100 Wrote:  

Indeed that is a requirement, I can have a romantic evening alone for free.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I have to hand it to you, you are such a romantic. Tongue

I saved a bundle cleaning my vinyl, by using my Sonicare ultrasonic toothbrush, with new clean brushes. The results made me bristle with excitement.

Her vinyl skin feels softer and more subtle as well. TongueBig Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-07-11, 03:53
(2017-07-10 20:58)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2017-07-10 18:47)LD100 Wrote:  

I have to hand it to you, you are such a romantic. Tongue

I saved a bundle cleaning my vinyl, by using my Sonicare ultrasonic toothbrush, with new clean brushes. The results made me bristle with excitement.

Her vinyl skin feels softer and more subtle as well. TongueBig Grin

Is this the point at which I ask if your vinyl is nicknamed "Patches"?

RolleyesRolleyesRolleyes

OK, Sorry, I'll get my coat.

2017-07-11, 11:16
(2017-07-10 18:25)LD100 Wrote:  Any body try one of those two ultrasonic cleaners...one uses only distilled water and the other uses a cleaning fluid. The other obvious difference is that one has nothing actually touching the record and the other has cleaning brushes? They are both in the neighborhood of 4K in price.

I was intrigued by the idea of dropping the lp in the slot like a piece of bread in a toaster, especially the one that only contacts the record with water and ultrasonic waves.

But for 4K I would like flowers and a romantic evening included.TongueTongueTongue

Project RCM works fine for me. £300 I think. It's a good budget machine

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM
2017-07-11, 13:35
(2017-07-11 11:16)Ian Wilkinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-10 18:25)LD100 Wrote:  Any body try one of those two ultrasonic cleaners...one uses only distilled water and the other uses a cleaning fluid. The other obvious difference is that one has nothing actually touching the record and the other has cleaning brushes? They are both in the neighborhood of 4K in price.

Project RCM works fine for me. £300 I think. It's a good budget machine

With ear defenders....Tongue

Dave
2017-07-11, 14:40
I know someone who had an Audiodesk ( is that the right name ) ultrasonic cleaner and he wasn't very impressed at all. It has gone to be replaced by an Okki Nokki which does actually work. He had a shedload of money left over too.
Paying more is no guarantee with an RCM at all. Russian Oligarchs might like to blow a fortune but that doesn't mean it does the job better. It just costs more.

Was it this one Dr Eddie?

http://www.analogueseduction.net/categor...chine.html

I was thinking of getting one of these and would be interested in why he wasn't impressed.
Seems to be about half the price the OP mentioned so I assume he is referring to different machines.
2017-07-11, 14:41
I tried the Audiodesk at a shop that carried it. They cleaned a few records I bought with it. I brought them back home, listened to them, cleaned them again with my Loricraft, I thought this was an improvement. As such, I stuck with my current regime.

Though one could argue any subsequent clean is better, it showed me it wasn't the final word in cleaning with just one step, so I thought it wasn't worth the bother.

I just find the lack of a vacuum drying cycle a real issue with these machines.
2017-07-11, 15:16 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-11 15:21 by LD100.)
(2017-07-11 14:40)JimK Wrote:  

Was it this one Dr Eddie?

http://www.analogueseduction.net/categor...chine.html

I was thinking of getting one of these and would be interested in why he wasn't impressed.
Seems to be about half the price the OP mentioned so I assume he is referring to different machines.

This one's around 4K US dollars http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klaudio-KD-CL...wAodQooF4g

When the Audio Desk first came out in the USA it was just under 4K.