Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-24, 21:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Adikt Height (riding low)

Adikt Height (riding low)
2017-07-11, 19:29
Adikt Height (riding low)
Hi folks,

LP12 (80's era) that was recently professionally setup. Adikt cartridge.

I noticed that the cartridge is riding -very- low. Can't slip a piece of paper between the bottom of the cartridge and the vinyl when it is at rest.

When I shine a flashlight parallel to the needle, I can see the slightest clearance in the shadow of the cartridge against the wall (this was the best I could come up with...)

I can't hear any problems with the sound - in fact it sounds excellent - but maybe there's a chance that the cartridge is bottoming out and I can't hear it.

Any way of know whether the cart is bottoming out of the vinyl or gauging the 'normal' height of an Addikt should be. Does it sit lower as ages?

Not interested in going down a rabbit hole of tweaks.... just whether table need to be services or stylus needs to be replaced.

Thanks so much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-11, 20:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-11 20:35 by LD100.)
RE: Adikt Height (riding low)
(2017-07-11 19:29)verite Wrote:  Hi folks,

I noticed that the cartridge is riding -very- low. Can't slip a piece of paper between the bottom of the cartridge and the vinyl when it is at rest.

When I shine a flashlight parallel to the needle, I can see the slightest clearance in the shadow of the cartridge against the wall (this was the best I could come up with...)

I can't hear any problems with the sound - in fact it sounds excellent - but maybe there's a chance that the cartridge is bottoming out and I can't hear it.

Thanks so much!

Could you please be a little more specific as to recently--weeks, months, years? Trying to gauge the exact age of the cartridge.

The fact that it sounds fine probably means it is fine. But it's always good to check if something looks off. Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-07-11, 20:40 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-11 20:40 by Glyn Ruck.)
Lots of typical Adikt ride height pictures around.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10948]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2017-07-11, 22:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-11 22:17 by Donald.)
Don't think you have anything to worry about - here's a picture of mine also professionally setup.

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-07-12, 00:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-12 00:09 by Cymbiosis.)
(2017-07-11 22:13)Donald Wrote:  Don't think you have anything to worry about - here's a picture of mine also professionally setup.

Yours I believe is rather different to the description Donald...............

Ok, this is a recurring theme as there have been quite a few forum postings over the years since 2013 when I first encountered the problem and reported it to HQ. I coined the phrase "Low Rider" to describe this issue. The Adikt may well sound perfectly fine but it can drag it's belly on the edge of the LP as pictured here... No it wasn't tracking at 5.0g either!

[Image: Evfh35.jpg]

This issue which is quite uncommon was resolved with Goldring some time ago I thought. So if it is an old cartridge (over 12 months old and thus out of warranty) it's a judgement call but I personally would buy a replacement. However, reading your post
Quote:was recently professionally setup. Adikt cartridge
suggests that you may have brought it recently. If so and it's less than 12 months old then it should be covered under warranty (subject to inspection of course)

A picture tells a 1000 words as they say.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-12, 00:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-12 00:20 by Peer Gynt.)
(2017-07-11 19:29)verite Wrote:  Hi folks,

This bothered me. I wonder if the cantilever has been bent from a drop.

The arm should be parallel to the disk during play. If it is, and the cartridge body is essentially sitting on the disk, I would wonder. The pictures shown by others would appear to offer more than enough clearance to slip a piece of paper between cartridge and vinyl.

Lucky for you, since the Adikt is a moving magnet cartridge, the stylus is user replaceable.

Edit: I see Peter has offered his insights. It sounds like maybe a simple stylus R&R wouldn't get it.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-12, 00:16
If the suspension allows the cantilever to sag too far it will throw out the VTA requiring one to raise the armpost slightly.
2017-07-12, 19:22
As Peter has said earlier in the thread - Adikts were prone to running low over time. I've been aware of this for many years - certainly prior to 2013 as I've actually replaced must of my Adikt stylus units due to this issue- often at only a couple of years old and certainly not linked to number of hours played.

My current one, sourced from Cymbiosis, is 18 months old and has ridden higher than previous ones from Day 1 - to date there has been no reduction in ride height and so I, like Peter, am of the opinion that this is a 'fixed' issue. I should add that none of my stylus units have been low from day 1 - they have all (with the exception of the latest one) dropped over time.

Because of the change that was introduced in the last couple of years I don't think that there is any such thing as a "typical" ride height for an Adikt - but there may be "typical, pre-change initial ride heights" and "typical, pre change, ride heights after a couple of years" and "typical ride heights post change" (of which early and late in life are hopefully the same).

Does the sinking issue affect VTA? - yes and technically raising the post will accommodate the change in VTA, however, in my experience (and I've tried this several times), altering post height will correct VTA but it does nothing to alleviate the issue of the belly dragging on the vinyl - in fact it can make it worse.

I've no idea whether the sinking cantilever is common to all Adikts but if it isn't then I've been extremely unlucky as I've seen it on every one of mine (barring the current one) and I've lost count but it is at least six or seven.

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2017-07-13, 00:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-13 00:26 by Glyn Ruck.)
Fortunately being MM a fix is as simple as a new stylus.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10952]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2017-07-13, 19:27
(2017-07-13 00:13)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Fortunately being MM a fix is as simple as a new stylus.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10952]

Except, if you really want to fix it you should get a stylus labeled as "Adikt Stylus/1". Linn did note that there had been problems with low-riding Adikts as had likely any dealer who had sold a number of them - certainly I saw a few. So a couple of years ago they made a change to the stylus to make the Adikt ride higher and solved the problem. These cartridges are labelled "Adikt/1" and the newer replacement stylus as "Adikt Stylus/1". In answer to a question I asked Linn after getting the first batch of products labeled that way they replied that the stylus had been changed to have more clearance from the record and there were no other changes to the cartridge. Note also that the stylus cover was changed to accommodate the fact that the stylus protrudes farther from the body so you should not use an older stylus guard with a new stylus as it may hit the tip.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user