Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-24, 21:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 not always required for musical pleasure ~ but preferred.

LP12 not always required for musical pleasure ~ but preferred.
2017-07-16, 00:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-16 02:57 by Glyn Ruck.)
LP12 not always required for musical pleasure ~ but preferred.
I own 5 copies, in various states of wear of the long defunct Mays Records recording of Ralph McTell "Ralph - Albert & Sydney" (1 sealed) ~ Recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall & Sydney Opera House. Outstanding live pressings that reflect the depth & ambience of both auditoriums & audience singing along gently to well known numbers like "Streets of London". We played these frequently at High End Audio shows in SA. The LP12 has always reproduced this album in goose flesh raising form to the sheer delight of many. Being clapped at Audio Shows is a pleasant experience. This recording sorts the wheat from the chaff in high end reproduction.

Fast forward tonight & a good friend gave me a DVD of Ralph's 70th Birthday Concert at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. How time flies.

McTell teams up on stage with classical guitar supremo John Williams to perform "Streets of London". All I can say is Wow! The PCM Stereo soundtrack on my system brought back all the goose bumps. A truly memorable 2 hour concert. (for non McTell fans there is a sameness about his music)

Look forward to completing the rebuild of the Linn & going back to playing those wonderful pressings.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10974]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10975]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-16, 01:15
RE: LP12 not always required for musical pleasure ~ but preferred.
I also prefer the LP12, but a priceless performance is forever, no matter what the format.

I have 2 favorite 78 rpms, The Andrews Sisters singing Rum and Coca Cola on Decca Records in 1945, and Bing Crosby singing I'll take you home again Kathleen recorded July 17, 1945, also released by Decca Records.

These shellac disc were played repeatedly with steel needles by my long departed mother and are no ones idea of high fidelity. However, the intensity of the performances shines through and also produces the goosebumps effect. Priceless Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-07-16, 01:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 13:41 by Glyn Ruck.)
Sadly my parents' 78's got chucked out. I remember playing so many in my youth & changing a stylus every 5 sides. My dad was a Mario Lanza fan but they had a broad music selection.

Sadly the Mays Records masters of R ~ A&S were lost. After many legal wranglings they suddenly appeared many years later in about 5th generation & a CD was produced. It sucks!

My favourite old recordings other than classical are Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald "Porgy & Bess" 1957 & Getz/Gilberto Carnegie Hall 1964 "Girl from Ipanema" et al.

And yes ~ I will not cut myself off from landmark recordings because of format. Proper SACD etc with expensive players easily matches analogue & exceeds it on noise floor, dynamics etc. People need to be reminded that a top LP12 once fitted with a decent cartridge costs in excess of GBP 20,000. You can buy a very respectable digital front end for that.

EDIT: Meant to say ~ "I'll take you home again Kathleen" is a beautiful piece of music.
2017-07-16, 06:54
One of the saddest moments for me. My father had a boxed set (standing about 3 foot tall) of 78's of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado. When my Father passed away, they were bequeathed to me. They had been stored in a wardrobe.

When I inspected them, every record was cracked. Sad I probably would never have played them BUT what a memory they would have been.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2017-07-16, 14:52 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-16 14:53 by LD100.)
(2017-07-16 06:54)grimreaper46 Wrote:  One of the saddest moments for me. My father had a boxed set (standing about 3 foot tall) of 78's of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado. When my Father passed away, they were bequeathed to me. They had been stored in a wardrobe.

When I inspected them, every record was cracked. Sad I probably would never have played them BUT what a memory they would have been.

Indeed it is very sad to not only lose the music but also the memory.

It has been my personal experience that a shellac 78 will crack if you give it a stern look. One possible explanation is that many were played on changers and the dropping of one rather heavy record on top of others resulted in micro fractures in the shellac. This resulted in the record cracking at a later time, often just sitting in a box.

I'm not sure if there was anything we could have done about that.
I can only give thanks that I was able to record some of my favorites on tape.Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-07-16, 17:02
If the performance was excellent, and the recording was excellent, and the playback equipment and room are up it it, even a cassette can provide excitement and thrills.

It is about the performance first. The better the performance, the more rewarding it is to chase after the sound. But it is easy to get lost in the search for sound.

Music first.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-16, 17:58
On the shellacs issue, I was the fortunate recipient of those from past generations of my family.

I was the disk jockey from about age 5 at my grandparents house.

The music was simple gospel/folk music in Norwegian and Swedish.

Those recordings are the earliest guitar recordings in my memory, and may be the origin of my lifelong affection for acoustic guitar.

I play them for nostalgic purposes on an old Dual that will run at 78rpm.
I can still sing along .... but usually don't, much to the relief of my long suffering wife.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-17, 00:58
(2017-07-16 17:02)Peer Gynt Wrote:  If the performance was excellent, and the recording was excellent, and the playback equipment and room are up it it, even a cassette can provide excitement and thrills.

It is about the performance first. The better the performance, the more rewarding it is to chase after the sound. But it is easy to get lost in the search for sound.

Music first.

Indeed! I occasionally fire up my old Nak Dragon to play old cassettes. Some recordings of local groups direct from their mixing desks etc. Still pleasant, rewarding & plenty of fun.
2017-07-17, 17:14
I still recall one evening many moons ago when my dear late wife was playing her favourite Tubby the Tuba by Danny Kaye 78 on her grandpa's 78 player that I had restored for her. She inherited the player and all his discs.
I still can't remember how it happened but she managed to break the disc in two turning it over. The tears that followed were gut wrenching............ I felt helpless about it.

A week or two later I was driving through Covent Garden ( Betterton Street WC2 ) and saw an old 78 gramophone shop, big horn in the window. I parked up around the corner ( spare meter there by chance ) and strolled in. There were literally millions of 78's in there and I found the Danny Kaye disc ( best of 4 copies ) without too much trouble. Not even expensive , certainly not more than £2 back then.
That went down rather well with the said lady ( we ended getting married ) and I still have it. Brings a right lump to my throat when I play that one. Even a 78 player can make my emotions run wild. Music is like that. Digital or analogue makes no difference to the effect it has on your soul.

We watched the film by the Judds " Love Can Build A Bridge" the other night through the Briks. Vanilla DVD SQ but it had both of us spellbound. Such great music, and a tough storyline that tugs at the heartstrings. All great music seems to be born out of tragedy and heartache.
Nope you don't need an LP12 to enjoy great music, but I'm glad to have one.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-17, 20:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 20:31 by LD100.)
One picture is worth a thousand words.
An emotional connection with music...
[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=3...w=no_count]