Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / MQA listening test

MQA listening test
2017-10-29, 17:15
RE: MQA listening test
(2017-10-29 07:53)fbee Wrote:  Very interesting indeed.....

Bruno Putzeys - Hypex amps and Kii-3 loudspeaker fame - wrote about MQA on facebook
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/links.htm#Putzeys

"An acoustic event has dimensions of time, tone, loudness and space
Have they been recorded and rendered sensibly? (S.Linkwitz)"

Ahhh, Seig-freed ! For sure. But, what qualifies for being recorded and rendered (played-back) sensibly ?

I've come to appreciate that as a sound-system becomes more refined (as in really articulate, resolute, layered, nuanced with that all-too-rare quality of shocking "realism" (the natural tone of both acoustic and electric instruments flowing, speaking as one together, yet with such distinctive tonal characteristics -embodying tone/pitch, overtones of incredible acoustic diversity) is both what high-end, hi-fi should be all about. Yet, it is experienced all too infrequently.

Put simply, we have (experience has demonstrated) the tools to re-create fascinating sound-scape's (even if that's "seeing" the recording booths in less than stellar recordings). The beauty of high-end should be to simply recreate the considerable variations captured in the recording. This can be achieved. I've experienced it (we've all heard it, no?)

A sound-system that plays/renders recorded music with nary any distinctions in presentation fails miserably at doing what it was meant to do; offer up a see-through presentation (from dull, boring "rich" to open, light and speedy) depending on music/recording.

If "done" appropriately, music of any genre /era (save RAP and similar modern Candy crap -and even those come to think of it) should sound fantastic; distinctive, layered, resolute, panoramic, engaging - naturally flowing with the requisite attack/bite (or tonal smoothness) of the music-making instruments on offer.

We can achieve this. This has been achieved. Without having to resort necessarily to recording "corrections". Naturally, improvements would be most welcome and should be sought. However, my experience has shown that truly great sound is available in the here and now (and with recorded music stretching back 70 years -and possibly beyond).

Really, rediscovering your music is what great replay systems do -to impressive dimensions, even with 'ordinary' (commercially available) recordings.

peter jasz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-29, 18:11
RE: MQA listening test
(2017-09-25 09:44)mickc Wrote:  Interesting result. 50/50 is what you’d get from a group (if it’s large enough) if they just wildly guessed, so it doesn’t say much for MQA. As you say, it’s rather worrying that so many manufacturers seem to be getting on board with it.
As far as Universal are concerned, the sceptic in me says it’s so that they can sell us the same music yet again.

Mick

Hi Mick: You said: " ....50/50 is what you’d get from a group (if it’s large enough) if they just wildly guessed, so it doesn’t say much for MQA (OR, conversely, quite a bit about the listener's).

pj

(P.S. I just can't buy the (no pun) "Wanting to (re)sell us more music" take. If we are happy with what we have (I think I am), there's absolutely no reason for me to consider a re-purchase -of my favorite music. On the other hand, if I'm struck by its 'awesomeness', I'll be willing -maybe even thrilled- to fork over some more dough !
I'll say this; I'd much rather fork-over $20-$25.(CA$) for something in my hand (real, touchable) than the effortless commodity of sending me a file -and not even with a voucher/coupon for an SD card to hold my new, expensive purchase.
If MQA-encoded compact discs will sell for $20-$25 (US/CAN $), file selling (high-res. or not) should be valued at $5/album ($10. max).

As I think of it more, as in right now, I would frown at even handing over $10.00 for a downloaded file (of 1-GB data). The mere act of the downloaded purchase bypasses all that can be great (is great?) about music purchasing; the search, time/place, cover art (yeah, CD cover art blows/is tiny but at least it's something along with an effort made by studio's) and perhaps (believe it or not) talking about the album/ artist/ concert(s) etc.
That is of course, if music really matters to you anything more than as a simple commodity that -from a commerce perspective I realize- is all it is)

"Seek the finest hifi you can, it will speak to you in ways rarely envisioned, and even more sparsely experienced."

pj
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply