Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players

Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
2017-08-02, 06:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-02 06:26 by matthias.)
Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
Very interesting news for some Linn DS users:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent-701681

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-02, 09:50
RE: Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
Thanks for the heads-up, will give this a try. Audirvana's user interface is excellent.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-02, 18:55
Please respond those who was able to befriend audirvana with Linn DS. Interested in this topic but so far I have no MAC computer.

Audiophile NAS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27606&pid=328246#pid328246) - MinimServer
AudioQuest RJ/E Diamond
Klimax Renew DS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17482)
Accuphase p350
Verity Audio Tamino mod - Fostex T90A
Nordost cables
2017-08-02, 22:04
I am a bit confused how this plays into the equation with our DS's. [On a side note I am currently using a Sonore Sonicorbiter in my system to allow ROON integration with my KDS while I wait for Linn's native integration].

My (limited) understanding of Audirvana is that it runs on the Mac OS and PRIMARILY does audio enhancement on the music files. Doesn't this usurp the purpose of our DS's i.e. we are paying all of this money precisely because we want our DS's to work their magic on our files? If Audirvana "enhances" "manipulates" etc. our files where does the DS then enter into the equation - or rather why have Audirvana work its magic if ultimately it will be the DS which will do the final processing of the audio files?

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Radikal/Urika/Chord Music/Aro/Kandid
KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-08-02, 22:10
I've no idea if it will have any effect in this instance, but it looks like the new Davaar Beta introduces what you need for Roon to be natively integrated. I suspect it then just needs Roon to do their bit, so you might not have too much longer to wait.

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Be...ease_Notes

I suspect the 'Transport Service' is what Roon etc will use to talk to the DS. Of course I could be completely wrong Big Grin

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-08-02, 22:36
Well - thanks for this information - however I think we are still in for a long wait
I just had a look on the ROON forum where Danny, the CTO, stated 4 days ago that ROON have done zero coding up until this point. They are waiting for this new protocol to be published before they can begin.

I just posted a reply to his statement and informed him that a new DAVAR with TransportService was just uploaded.
Lets see what he replies.

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Radikal/Urika/Chord Music/Aro/Kandid
KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-08-03, 00:50 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 00:55 by Mihaylov.)
(2017-08-02 22:04)glevethan Wrote:  I am a bit confused how this plays into the equation with our DS's. [On a side note I am currently using a Sonore Sonicorbiter in my system to allow ROON integration with my KDS while I wait for Linn's native integration].

My (limited) understanding of Audirvana is that it runs on the Mac OS and PRIMARILY does audio enhancement on the music files. Doesn't this usurp the purpose of our DS's i.e. we are paying all of this money precisely because we want our DS's to work their magic on our files? If Audirvana "enhances" "manipulates" etc. our files where does the DS then enter into the equation - or rather why have Audirvana work its magic if ultimately it will be the DS which will do the final processing of the audio files?
May be Audirvana have better upsampler than custom upsampler of Linn DS?
Now I use SoX resampler in MinimStreamer in my NAS for upsampling audio files to 24 bit/176 or 192 kHz and I get better SQ may be due to lower usage of Linn DS's processor (FPGA) or/and better upsampler.
Also Audirvana support MQA decording for Tidal Masters.

And Roon unlike Audirvana have no support MQA decoding still.

Audiophile NAS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27606&pid=328246#pid328246) - MinimServer
AudioQuest RJ/E Diamond
Klimax Renew DS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17482)
Accuphase p350
Verity Audio Tamino mod - Fostex T90A
Nordost cables
2017-08-03, 08:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 08:54 by Music at Home.)
(2017-08-02 22:04)glevethan Wrote:  My (limited) understanding of Audirvana is that it runs on the Mac OS and PRIMARILY does audio enhancement on the music files. Doesn't this usurp the purpose of our DS's i.e. we are paying all of this money precisely because we want our DS's to work their magic on our files? If Audirvana "enhances" "manipulates" etc. our files where does the DS then enter into the equation - or rather why have Audirvana work its magic if ultimately it will be the DS which will do the final processing of the audio files?

Hi Glevethan,

Audirvana can do upsampling, *if you want*, it can insert filters (like parametric EQ for room correction), *if you want*, but none of that is the primary purpose of Audirvana. It's primary purpose is as a music player to provide a high quality (bit perfect if that's what you want) USB or SPDIF output from any mac / mac-mini / mac-book type device to an external DAC.

I haven't installed this update yet to try it with my DS as it's a beta release that needs manually downloading and installing, unlike normal releases that have the download and install taken care of by the application. I might just wait until it's available via the UI. However, from what I've read so far, it looks like this release allows Audirvarna to become a UPnP control point. I'm not sure at this stage if it still requires a UPnP server to be running or if it can serve from locally stored music on the mac, or even if any of the upsampling or filter options will be accessible in UPnP mode.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-03, 09:34
(2017-08-02 22:10)phino Wrote:  I've no idea if it will have any effect in this instance, but it looks like the new Davaar Beta introduces what you need for Roon to be natively integrated. I suspect it then just needs Roon to do their bit, so you might not have too much longer to wait.

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Be...ease_Notes

I suspect the 'Transport Service' is what Roon etc will use to talk to the DS. Of course I could be completely wrong Big Grin

The Transport service simplifies the work required for control points who want to offer DS support. It could be thought of as one small part of the changes required for better Roon integration.
2017-08-03, 13:16 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 13:16 by Music at Home.)
Curiosity got the better of me and I installed the Audirvana update. Unfortunately at the moment it doesn't see my DSM, might be something I've not got quite right. Will play later.

That's a bit of a shame as I'm quietly a bit excited about this if it works the way I'm expecting/hoping, that is, serving locally stored music directly from the mac. There seems to be a bit of a similarity between what Audirvana is doing to improve the USB output and what a Melco music server is doing. If Audirvana can do for Ethernet what it's already achieved for USB then we have the basis for a mac-mini based dedicated audiophile UPnP music server.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's