Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 21:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players

Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
2017-10-04, 22:53
RE: Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
How does Tidal sound via Mac mini / Audirvana UPnP AV to ADSM? Has anyone tried it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-05, 19:43
Not your specific combination. Audirvana 3.1 on a late-2008 MacBook Pro running TIDAL via UPnP to Sneaky Music DS sounds fine. I didn't compare to Tidal running directly on the Sneaky as Audirvana-via-Linn is useless to me as long as it's not gapless.
2017-10-05, 20:20 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-05 20:23 by mit001.)
I notice that the Tidal stream via Audirvana UPnP goes into my ADSM as WAV instead of the standard FLAC.
Soundise, I feel that that it is better because:

1) More instrument separations, percussion, strings, violin sound more real
2) Bass is tighter
3) And no more occasional dropouts that mar the music listening
2017-10-07, 12:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-07 12:24 by pidge22.)
I have downloaded the trial version of Audirvana plus and it was easy to setup & quickly found my stored music files on my Qnap/Twonky NAS.
Much better than Kazoo as a control point & with my Renew Ds/1 impressed with the SQ ....vocals seem better & more detail with a "blacker" background ...
Would be interested in others views of the SQ...

Klimax Ds/3,Chord Sarum Super IC,Klimax Kontrol/1,Klimax Solo's/1,Cymbiosis built Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro & Akiva,Tron Seven Ultimate & Akurate 242's (mark 3)
2017-10-07, 15:26
(2017-10-05 19:43)hifi_guy Wrote:  Not your specific combination. Audirvana 3.1 on a late-2008 MacBook Pro running TIDAL via UPnP to Sneaky Music DS sounds fine. I didn't compare to Tidal running directly on the Sneaky as Audirvana-via-Linn is useless to me as long as it's not gapless.

Just installed Audirvana and playing gapless fine from Qobuz stream via UPnP
2017-10-09, 08:58
I am not sure Audirvana decodes MQA fully. When I listen to a Tidal Masters on my Meridian amp through the Tidal app, as long as the output settings are correct, I get the magic little blue light. In doing the same through Audirvana I don't. It could be something in the Audirvana settings I have missed but to date, I have not managed to find it.

Akurate DSM/1, Acoustic Energy AE1 Active.

Synology DS212j NAS.

Denon AH-D7000, Shure SRH-1540, Beyerdynamic DT880, Grado SR80e, Meridian Prime, Meridian Explorer 2, Audioquest Dragonfly Black.
2017-10-09, 15:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-09 15:29 by mit001.)
As far as I know, Audirvana decodes MQA automatically on MacOS, it shows up a little blue light on the app GUI . However I do not own the Meridian so I am not sure that I follow you. Contact Damien (the developer), and he probably tells exactly what is happening.
2017-10-12, 19:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-12 19:14 by pidge22.)
Re an update on this....a few problems with audio drop outs which seem to be when the network is busy or maybe I need to adjust the memory useage ...I will though be buying the licensed version of this ....I am gobsmacked at the improvement this has given particularly to vocals & strings & detail I hadn't heard before....for £64 for the full version this is a no brainer....this is like an upgrade to a DS/2 & more ...

Klimax Ds/3,Chord Sarum Super IC,Klimax Kontrol/1,Klimax Solo's/1,Cymbiosis built Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro & Akiva,Tron Seven Ultimate & Akurate 242's (mark 3)
2017-10-13, 06:22
(2017-10-12 19:13)pidge22 Wrote:  Re an update on this....a few problems with audio drop outs which seem to be when the network is busy or maybe I need to adjust the memory useage ...I will though be buying the licensed version of this ....I am gobsmacked at the improvement this has given particularly to vocals & strings & detail I hadn't heard before....for £64 for the full version this is a no brainer....this is like an upgrade to a DS/2 & more ...

+1
That is exactly my experience.
2017-10-13, 20:22
Sounds interesting. From what I understand the main reason for SQ improvement seems to come from transcoding files (Tidal or locally stored) from flac to wav before reaching the DSM? In my case I don’t have any Apple HW (except for iPads) so that’s a (temporary) show stopper though...

ADSM, A Exaktbox 10, A4200*2+A2200, Akubarik, Harmoni rack, LS NAS.