Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 22:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Network problems with Majik ds

Network problems with Majik ds
2017-08-08, 14:00
Network problems with Majik ds
Hi guys,
My first post here.
I've had my majik ds for around a year now, and over the last two or three months it's started to disappear and my computer or android phone can't see it (windows 10 pc, and galaxy s7 phone).
At first it did it intermitently, but now is doing it frequently and the only way to sort it is to unplug the majik for at least an hour, and even then the computer and phone only see's it for a minute or so before it disappers and I can't see it or play any music.
It's the same with every app. Konfig, Kazoo and Kinski.
It's connected to my computer to a wireless booster I think it's called, then that uses the ring main to tranmit the data to another booster (only around 10ft away) and then connected to the majik with a network (cat5?) cable.
Nothing has been changed on the computer so I don't think it's a software clash, and the way it's been a gradual problem makes me suspect the majik itself is failing?
Any ideas how to sort it such as a full network cable direct from the computer to the majik, or is it time to call my dealer?
I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought this thing as I'm fed up of problems such as this and losing my playlists several times which take days to make again.
My router, in case it's relevant is a netgear r7500 and I'm using Norton antivirus/firewall etc in case that's relevant.

Thanks for any help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-08, 14:14
RE: Network problems with Majik ds
Hi Holmax

Powerline adapters and WiFi can be notoriously unreliable and tricksy. However, we need to try a few things first.
1. What firmware is the Majik currently on? There was an update a while back that did address some (rare) discovery issues. If you don't have the latest, try that first.
2. I would suggest not having any WiFi in the chain between the Majik and the router if you can. I can't quite make out if that is the case or not?
3. You need to connect the Majik via a switch/router, not directly to your computer.
4. If you have trouble seeing the Majik on the network on a WiFi device, try a wired one instead (if you can). If you can see it on that, then it's likely a WiFi issue with the router.
5. Why do you lose playlists? They are stored locally on your Kazoo device, not the Majik. I'm not sure why you would keep losing them, so could you explain what you mean in this case?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-08, 14:55
In all probability, this is not a DS problem. It is a network problem.

From the symptoms you describe, the various components on your network are not working together correctly, and this is blocking your DS. If this is the case, there is little or nothing you can do with the DS itself to fix the problem. As you have a good quality router, the area to look is the connections between it, the computer and the DS.

Start simply. Try switching the switching the whole system off and on. Power everything down, then switch the router on first and let it boot up fully, then the wireless devices (allowing them to boot up), then your computer (test that it is fully connected), and finally the DS. Occasionally, this fixes the problem. At the very least, it should help you isolate the connection issue.

The single most effective thing you can do to improve the reliability of the system is to get a proper Ethernet connection from your computer to your DSM. Another approach is to store your music on a NAS somewhere where it can have a wired connection to the computer, via a switch that you can connect to the rest of the system.

With your system, I cannot see why are you are using both a wireless bridge and a Homeplug system. Taking the wireless element out of the equation would help, by simply connecting the computer to the DS via Homeplug. It isn't the full solution (for that you need Ethernet connections), but it will help. If there are problems in doing this, it would help to know what they are.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-21, 14:08
Hi guys,
Firstly, sorry for the late reply, I've had a lot of stuff on.
I finally got around to putting an Ethernet cable straight to it and it still wouldn't have it.
The next thing I noticed was that a firmware update for my router was available so I did that. Success!
That seems to have done the trick Smile
Yet again my playlists have refused to work despite making backups while they were working and copying and pasting them into kinsky and kazoo. So I'm currently building new playlists but this time into iTunes so they should work reliably in the future.
Just one quick last question...
Can the rs232 be used to turn on my Arcam av750r receiver or vica versa or is it to work exclusively with other Linn products?
Thanks.
2017-09-21, 14:21
According to the manual:
"RS232 PORTS - To connect to other Linn devices that don't have ethernet."

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-21, 16:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-21 16:49 by Wiltshireman.)
Hi Holmax, I know exactly where you are coming from. I had problems but absolutly none was the fault of my Majik DS. Some were the BT modem not giving a reliable signal and some were my ripper but once I was shown how to sort it all is now fantastic. Stick in there, it is worth it in the end.

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II cables.
2017-09-22, 09:00
From the OP's original description wifi is not actually in the chain, so it is irrelevant whether the powerline networking devices are wifi boosters or not (theoretically at least). I am unclear if the pwoerline devices are wifi though or if they are connected to wifi boosters, but again shouldn't really matter. I've used powerline networking a few times and it is invariably a pain. If you can I'd actually use quality wifi components, with a big range instead.

As others have said it sounds like a networking issue, shift your DS and plug it directly in to the router/switch leave it to go in standaby and see if the problem is replicated. I appreciate this might leave you without music for a while. I have found that powerline networking products (I've had three different lots) have a poor lifespan and that they tend to drop out (possibly what is happening here) and come back sometimes. Also this can change depending on what is plugged in to the power.

If you know someone with a bit of IT nouse get them to come and play with the network and see if they can work out what is going on. There are many possibilities from the powerline networking hardware starting to fail to the DHCP server in your router and everything in between.

Black ash LP12 (with Akito 1, Adikt, Kore, Trampolin 2, Tranquility, silver T-kable and Lingo 2), AEDSM/1, Exaktbox 6, 2x 2250/D, all on Quadraspire Q4 Evo rack+wall shelf and Ninkas w/ polymer bases.
2017-09-22, 10:01
(2017-09-21 14:08)Holmax Wrote:  ...

Yet again my playlists have refused to work despite making backups while they were working and copying and pasting them into kinsky and kazoo. So I'm currently building new playlists but this time into iTunes so they should work reliably in the future.

Thanks.

I assume your music is stored on the computer, and you created the playlists in Kazoo from it? In which case, this is probably due to the IP address of the computer changing, so the Kazoo playlist items have the wrong URLs. It is a good idea to reserve the IP address of you music server device (and DS for that matter) in your router.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-22, 11:37
(2017-09-22 09:00)solanum Wrote:  I have found that powerline networking products (I've had three different lots) have a poor lifespan and that they tend to drop out (possibly what is happening here) and come back sometimes. Also this can change depending on what is plugged in to the power.

I use TP-Link Powerline devices to connect a Smart TV to a router. These plugs can encrypt traffic between endpoints. You configure them from a utility application or by pressing a button on the side. if you inadvertently set encrypt on one plug (easily done), but not others results are unpredictable: sometimes it works (must try to negotiate & drop back to clear if it fails), but not always.

(2017-09-22 09:00)solanum Wrote:  If you know someone with a bit of IT nouse get them to come and play with the network and see if they can work out what is going on. There are many possibilities from the powerline networking hardware starting to fail to the DHCP server in your router and everything in between.

This would be the best solution

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-09-22, 11:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-22 11:51 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-22 09:00)solanum Wrote:  If you know someone with a bit of IT nous get them to come and play with the network and see if they can work out what is going on. There are many possibilities from the powerline networking hardware starting to fail to the DHCP server in your router and everything in between.

There is one other thought to add to this excellent advice, coupled with Holmax's very valid suggestion about reserved IP addresses. (I reserve an address for every device that has a fixed location in the house, so desktop computers, NASs and Wireless Access Point as well as my DSMs.) That is, you should connect your DS/DSM to whatever serves the music and wherever you do your ripping and/or downloading by Ethernet if at all possible.

IMO, people much too readily shy away from the issues involved in running cables through the house. Often, the cost and ingenuity required to install powerline or wireless connections that may not be up to the job could be better employed finding a route for a cable. On two occasions, I have had a carpet fitter install a cable neatly under a carpet where it would not be trodden on (typically round the edge of a room between the gripper and the skirting board); in both cases the cost was significantly less than getting a powerline adapter to do the job.

Another trick is to run the cable round the outside of the building, or (where there is one) through the crawl space or under a suspended floor. Or you can use a length of 'L' section moulding fixed to the skirting board at floor level as a conduit - a job that can easily be done (and I did) when the room is redecorated. When the moulding is painted the same colour as the skirting board, it will not draw attention to itself.

If you are having building work done, involving (as it usually does) new or re-positioned mains sockets, that is often the ideal opportunity to run some Ethernet cable as well. When I had my house rebuilt some fourteen years ago, I installed Ethernet sockets in all the downstairs living spaces, running to the under-stairs cupboard where the router is installed. Subsequently, I ran a cable from that cupboard outside the house to the upstairs room where my Kiko is located. Problems with Ethernet are typically easier to diagnose and fix than problems with wireless and powerline, so I have been able to keep this system running myself with few problems.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko