Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?

Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
2017-08-21, 09:38
Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
Dear all

Coming from the Naim world I am used to browse my music library using only the remote and the ND5 XS' front display - no i-devices involved.

I don't seem to find a way to this with the MDSM/3 I have at home for auditioning. Did I miss something? Everything else works like a charm...

I only found a thread dating back to 2012 (http://forum.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.ph...id=199138) that mentioned that this was not possible (or only somehow via Kinsky Jukebox). Does this still hold true?

Best regards
suneshine
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-21, 09:45
RE: Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
(2017-08-21 09:38)sunshine Wrote:  Dear all

Coming from the Naim world I am used to browse my music library using only the remote and the ND5 XS' front display - no i-devices involved.

I don't seem to find a way to this with the MDSM/3 I have at home for auditioning. Did I miss something? Everything else works like a charm...

I only found a thread dating back to 2012 (http://forum.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.ph...id=199138) that mentioned that this was not possible (or only somehow via Kinsky Jukebox). Does this still hold true?

Best regards
suneshine

'fraid so. Jukebox did this, but is defunct since Davaar 50, but they have said there will be a replacement. That was a while ago and no news as yet. You could always load Davaar 37 and try it but you'd have to create the Jukebox.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-21, 09:55
Thanks, timster. Maybe someone from Linn could chime in to let us know if such a replacement is still planned. For me, it is a major feature - I hope I am not the only one.

I would be happy to beta test that feature.
2017-08-21, 10:01
(2017-08-21 09:55)sunshine Wrote:  Thanks, timster. Maybe someone from Linn could chime in to let us know if such a replacement is still planned. For me, it is a major feature - I hope I am not the only one.

I would be happy to beta test that feature.

You're certainly not the only one. This thread was the last time it was mentioned by Linn, back in May:
https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=36731

So, not in the immediate future Sad

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-21, 10:27 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-21 10:34 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-21 09:38)sunshine Wrote:  Coming from the Naim world I am used to browse my music library using only the remote and the ND5 XS' front display - no i-devices involved.

As you are seriously considering a move from Naim to Linn, you will wish to be aware that the absence of this (for you) important feature results from the use of somewhat different architectures in the players, and therefore is unlikely to change. Also, though I too regret the (hopefully temporary) disappearance of Jukebox, it is a bit of a red herring in the present context, as its primary function is to load stored playlists into the player, and you cannot use it to browse your library with the player, which is what you want to do.

AFAIK Naim streamers use the standard UPnP AV architecture and protocols (and, for the purpose of the present discussion, DLNA is the same thing). Linn uses a development of UPnP AV called OpenHome. In the present context, the main difference between the two is that, in OpenHome, the current playlist resides in the player (and communicates its state to the Control Point), while in UPnP AV the playlist resides in the Control Point. With OpenHome, you can seamlessly switch from one Control point to another, or even operate the player without a Control Point at all (provided that it has a playlist to work from), and gapless playback is easier to implement.

Most player manufacturers have stayed with UPnP AV (if only because that is the way that the player remains DLNA compatible), but have incorporated control point functionality into the player itself. That is why, on the Naim Streamers, you can browse the library, which you cannot do on the MDSM. To the best of my recollection, you are the first person here to express a preference for using the player display rather than a separate device to browse the library.

All of this is very much a matter of individual choice, so I'm certainly not going to argue that one system is inherently better than another. What I can suggest is that, if you like the MDSM in other respects, you could get a cheap Android tablet (or even a redundant phone) to use as a dedicated controller, and install BubbleDS Next (the best of the available Control Point apps, IMO) on it. This would come quite close (and indeed in a number of respects would be superior) to using the ordinary remote with the display. You can also of course use the Linn remote to select tracks from the currently loaded playlist (CD-style) without using any other device.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-21, 10:49
Quote:To the best of my recollection, you are the first person here to express a preference for using the player display rather than a separate device to browse the library.

billzab - or his wife to be more precise. Although I think he was going to train her on kinsky Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-21, 10:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-21 10:56 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-21 10:49)timster Wrote:  billzab - or his wife to be more precise. Although I think he was going to train her on kinsky Wink

Haven't tried to look up the post, but wasn't that a preference for using Jukebox playlists and selecting them from the remote by number? Linn DS/DSMs have never had the capability to browse the library using just the remote, which is what the OP wants to do.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-08-21, 11:06
David, thank you for the technical view on this. It's not that I don't have any i-devices, I just prefer using the remote most of the time. For me, it's less distracting.
2017-08-21, 11:07
(2017-08-21 10:55)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-08-21 10:49)timster Wrote:  billzab - or his wife to be more precise. Although I think he was going to train her on kinsky Wink

Haven't tried to look up the post, but wasn't that a preference for using Jukebox playlists and selecting them from the remote by number? Linn DS/DSMs have never had the capability to browse the library using just the remote, which is what the OP wants to do.

David

The end result is the same. Jukebox mimicked the remote browsing capability, albeit by effectively having to use a different (and bespoke) server. I take your point that it's not the same thing, but similar.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-21, 11:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-21 11:14 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-21 11:06)sunshine Wrote:  David, thank you for the technical view on this. It's not that I don't have any i-devices, I just prefer using the remote most of the time. For me, it's less distracting.

I quite understand. I use the remote in much the same way, but to access standard (saved) playlists, which might say in the player for a couple of days. Once the playlist is loaded, I don't need any other device.

(2017-08-21 11:07)timster Wrote:  The end result is the same. Jukebox mimicked the remote browsing capability, albeit by effectively having to use a different (and bespoke) server. I take your point that it's not the same thing, but similar.

Fair points, but it's really for each user (and in this case the OP) to decide what is and isn't 'the same'.

David