Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?

Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
2017-08-23, 21:08
RE: Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
(2017-08-22 16:33)sunshine Wrote:  I just can't get my head around this - for me the DSM ticks every major box except that I am not able to browse my library just using the remote. "Just" copy Naim's approach with the ND5 XS or NDX, or even Onkyo's single text line browsing (which also works). For me a feature mix of both would be best for me...who would I have to contact at Linn? Or is it best to go via my dealer?

You could achieve something similar with a squeezebox. The MDSM could be synced to the squeezebox using the Skweezy DS plugin and allow you to control it via the sqeezebox display/remote and server. It may not be as ascetically appealing as only a DS, but works pretty well.

My squeezebox died, but I still use Squeezebox Server with Softsqueeze on Windows to control my KDSM from the IMHO superior web interface and iPeng on the apple devices.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-23, 22:33
(2017-08-23 11:48)timster Wrote:  I have a Denon which is very clunky to browse using the remote. But then again so was Jukebox. They said the replacement will be better, when they get round to it.

I disagree Timster that Jukebox was clunky. To play album 40 on your list, you tapped 040 into the remote and pressed play. 4 button presses of the remote and music played. For a non-technophobe user (like my wife) this was a dawdle. Jukebox gave you the ability to produce a superb looking booklet with album art that was a pleasure to browse through. Almost an analogue feel. It was also far more impressive to people new to streaming than showing them an iPhone app. OK, this was about 7 years ago when streaming was new, but I still feel it would have its place today. Let's face it Kinsky hasn't really impressed and almost every third party control point beats it by a country mile. I myself use Lumin.

Bill.

ADSM2 | Silvers | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-08-24, 00:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-24 00:29 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-23 22:33)billzab Wrote:  For a non-technophobe user (like my wife) this was a dawdle.

I think you mean just "technophobe", and probably also "doddle", Bill, and, if you do, I agree with you.

Neither of my daughters is technophobic in the usual sense of the word, and both are highly computer literate. But both prefer to keep paper diaries. And, while they are both happy to look at and listen to locally stored media on their phones, tablets and computers, only one will access the music on my system via a control point. People are picking and choosing which new technology they will access and which they will leave alone. So sunshine likes streaming, but he wants to work it, as nearly as possible, in the way he would work a CD player. Bill's wife is prepared to press four buttons on a remote to hear the music she likes, but that (or not much more than that) is all the complexity she will put up with. They have a point.

I love having the choice of my whole collection on a streaming system, but it is all to clear to me that many people are reluctant to make the jump into streaming, for all sorts of different reasons. Indeed, until four years ago I was one of those people.

This is why 'bridge' applications like Jukebox are so important. Linn can market all the Fabrik they want, but if the missus can't get on with using an iThingy, that new DSM gets only the financial and domestic priority given to the rest of 'his stuff'. If, in the new world vision of the Linn House, streaming music systems are for sharing and listening together, Linn (like most other manufacturers) needs to provide a sharing-oriented application. They would probably laugh at me for saying this, but making streaming more accessible to a wider range of people is actually more important for their future business than Katalyst. So there.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-24, 06:30
(2017-08-23 22:33)billzab Wrote:  
(2017-08-23 11:48)timster Wrote:  I have a Denon which is very clunky to browse using the remote. But then again so was Jukebox. They said the replacement will be better, when they get round to it.

I disagree Timster that Jukebox was clunky. To play album 40 on your list, you tapped 040 into the remote and pressed play. 4 button presses of the remote and music played. For a non-technophobe user (like my wife) this was a dawdle. Jukebox gave you the ability to produce a superb looking booklet with album art that was a pleasure to browse through. Almost an analogue feel. It was also far more impressive to people new to streaming than showing them an iPhone app. OK, this was about 7 years ago when streaming was new, but I still feel it would have its place today. Let's face it Kinsky hasn't really impressed and almost every third party control point beats it by a country mile. I myself use Lumin.

Bill.

Less clunky than the Denon in the interface for sure. I agree that the direct access with the index number was quite brilliant.
But building the directory was quite clunky. I did find after a time that adding new albums got a bit messy as they had to be appended to the directory or needed a complete reprint of the booklet each time. So I ended up manually inserting them alphabetically in the Artist index and browsing instead.
For me though, the main drawback was that I couldn't get it to work directly from my NAS. It had to be routed through my PC. I hope the new incarnation won't need that.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-24, 08:35
(2017-08-24 00:13)DavidHB Wrote:  So sunshine likes streaming, but he wants to work it, as nearly as possible, in the way he would work a CD player.

Yes, David - this sums it up quite good. And this is how both my Naim Streamer and my Onkyo Receiver handle access to streaming content. I browse the library, choose a song and be done with. Behavior is much like a CD player: the songs after the previously selected song will be played automatically next. No fiddling around with playlists. But I appreciate the instant access to all my songs. "Repeat all", "Repeat one" is what I also use. And I would love to see a "Shuffle all" feature (using the entire library).

I wouldn't consider myself a technophobe - au contraire. I have a lot of i-thingies and used them all the time. But there are instances I prefer basic approaches like I do when listening to music. And - as you said before - Jukebox won't be the solution to my need.

And while we are at it: can I make the DSM to continue right where I left (starts playing the song I last heard)?
2017-08-24, 09:04
(2017-08-24 08:35)sunshine Wrote:  And while we are at it: can I make the DSM to continue right where I left (starts playing the song I last heard)?

My DSMs do that, even when they have been in standby, albeit that they start at the beginning of the track where I left off. So that problem could be a control point or server issue; it's not a DS/DSM 'feature'.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-24, 09:08
(2017-08-24 08:35)sunshine Wrote:  ...

And while we are at it: can I make the DSM to continue right where I left (starts playing the song I last heard)?

It will start on the song that's first in its playlist, if that's what you mean.

"Shuffle all" sounds like you want a randomising feature. The music server can do that - as long as it's Asset UPnP.

Shuffle (the playlist) is supported by a long press of the * key on the remote.

Repeat functions are only possible using kazoo unfortunately. I don't think the REM020 has enough buttons.

I know this is all academic, but there you go.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-24, 13:20
Well, it starts playing the first song of the playlist when I hit "Play". It doesn't start where I left (beginning of the song last played).

I am using MinimServer, so I am out of luck regarding random play.

timster, i saw your post in the development forum suggesting enhancing the remote...
2017-08-24, 13:35
(2017-08-24 13:20)sunshine Wrote:  Well, it starts playing the first song of the playlist when I hit "Play". It doesn't start where I left (beginning of the song last played).

I am using MinimServer, so I am out of luck regarding random play.

timster, i saw your post in the development forum suggesting enhancing the remote...

I have a question. Why would you want it to restart at the song last played? It will replay it if it hadn't finished last time, but if it had finished, why would you want to replay it?

Do any others (like Naim for eg) have a random play of all the library? I know my little Denon doesn't.

Yes, well, I actually requested the shuffle function a few years ago. I thought it would be useful (and it has been on occasion) and at the time the * had no function at all. Things have changed slightly with Davaar 50, but I think it would be a nice addition to add Repeat too seeing as there does seem to be a little bit of spare capacity on the remote button functions.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-24, 13:43
(2017-08-24 13:35)timster Wrote:  I have a question. Why would you want it to restart at the song last played? It will replay it if it hadn't finished last time, but if it had finished, why would you want to replay it?

You are right: replay it only if it hadn't finished, otherwise start with the next song.

(2017-08-24 13:35)timster Wrote:  Do any others (like Naim for eg) have a random play of all the library? I know my little Denon doesn't.

No, they don't (at least not that I am aware of). But still, it is a feature which would suit me well. It makes me listen to new songs...

(2017-08-24 13:35)timster Wrote:  Yes, well, I actually requested the shuffle function a few years ago. I thought it would be useful (and it has been on occasion) and at the time the * had no function at all. Things have changed slightly with Davaar 50, but I think it would be a nice addition to add Repeat too seeing as there does seem to be a little bit of spare capacity on the remote button functions.

I use repeat a lot (repeat all, repeat single) because I am not using any playlists. My Onkyo's remote uses one button to toggle between on, repeat one, repeat all, off.