Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-21, 14:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?

Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
2017-08-28, 09:19
RE: Browsing the audio library using only the DSM's display and remote?
(2017-08-25 09:56)timster Wrote:  sunshine, another alternative is to stick with Davaar 37 and get used to Jukebox, until such a time as it's replacement arrives. Davaar 50 was a rewrite and is needed for Exakt or Katalyst systems, but for standard use such as yours. you'll still get the SO and I'm pretty sure it has no effect on HDMI.

How about downloading Jukebox and install it, create a database, and if you could live with that, try Davaar 37 on your MDSM/2 and see if it would be good enough a stop gap?

If not, you can do what you say, but no harm in trying?

Definitely no harm but I don't have a Windows based computer. Also, I rather have the current software running on my devices. Maybe I have to bite the bullet and live with the (from my point of view) shortcoming of the Linn solution for now as I think the DSM is a far superior solution to Naim products for my use case and future upgrade path. All I can do is provide Linn with my feedback and then take it from there. I hope that we will see a very simple control point integrated into the DSM range eventually.

(2017-08-25 15:06)timster Wrote:  On another note re: randomising. I happen to have Asset from when I used my laptop as my source, before buying the synology. I have to admit I regret not buying QNAP, because I could then use it. But I do happen to have a secondary copy of my music library on an external drive, so I have resurrected Asset to run from it. The Dynamic Playlist feature (confusing called Jukebox Tracks and Jukebox Albums) is quite brilliant. I've been listening to some really old stuff and some I've not heard in years.
I wonder if simon @ Minim would ever consider something similar?

A randomizing feature would really be great! Who's Simon? And how could we let him know?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-28, 09:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-28 09:34 by Briain.)
There is another thread entitled 'come back cd's all is forgiven' relating mostly to control point issues, but also noting the ease of use that CD's provided, and whilst typing suggestions about the former - narrowing down the control point issues - it occurs to me that the re-introduction of Kinsky Jukebox (likely Kazoo Jukebox) could also address the latter (as I have posted, here).

As I also mentioned in that post, it would be essential to have some consistency in the numbers created, as that would mean you'd start to remember some of them and thus for them, you'd not even require to look at the printed list.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-08-28, 09:52
(2017-08-28 09:19)sunshine Wrote:  
(2017-08-25 09:56)timster Wrote:  sunshine, another alternative is to stick with Davaar 37 and get used to Jukebox, until such a time as it's replacement arrives. Davaar 50 was a rewrite and is needed for Exakt or Katalyst systems, but for standard use such as yours. you'll still get the SO and I'm pretty sure it has no effect on HDMI.

How about downloading Jukebox and install it, create a database, and if you could live with that, try Davaar 37 on your MDSM/2 and see if it would be good enough a stop gap?

If not, you can do what you say, but no harm in trying?

Definitely no harm but I don't have a Windows based computer. Also, I rather have the current software running on my devices. Maybe I have to bite the bullet and live with the (from my point of view) shortcoming of the Linn solution for now as I think the DSM is a far superior solution to Naim products for my use case and future upgrade path. All I can do is provide Linn with my feedback and then take it from there. I hope that we will see a very simple control point integrated into the DSM range eventually.

(2017-08-25 15:06)timster Wrote:  On another note re: randomising. I happen to have Asset from when I used my laptop as my source, before buying the synology. I have to admit I regret not buying QNAP, because I could then use it. But I do happen to have a secondary copy of my music library on an external drive, so I have resurrected Asset to run from it. The Dynamic Playlist feature (confusing called Jukebox Tracks and Jukebox Albums) is quite brilliant. I've been listening to some really old stuff and some I've not heard in years.
I wonder if simon @ Minim would ever consider something similar?

A randomizing feature would really be great! Who's Simon? And how could we let him know?

Simon at MinimServer. It's his baby, and is brilliant. I have posted a request on his forum, and he did reply that it's in his mind to implement something on those lines, but low priority I think as not many have asked. His next challenge is I think to have a recently added functionality first.
Here's the thread if you want to add a +1 Smile
http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread....8#pid26928

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-28, 10:02
Done - thanks for the link.
2017-08-28, 20:09
(2017-08-28 09:33)Briain Wrote:  There is another thread entitled 'come back cd's all is forgiven' relating mostly to control point issues, but also noting the ease of use that CD's provided, and whilst typing suggestions about the former - narrowing down the control point issues - it occurs to me that the re-introduction of Kinsky Jukebox (likely Kazoo Jukebox) could also address the latter (as I have posted, here).

As I also mentioned in that post, it would be essential to have some consistency in the numbers created, as that would mean you'd start to remember some of them and thus for them, you'd not even require to look at the printed list.

Bri Smile

Your last point is bang on Brian. When my wife used Jukebox, she gave me what for when I updated it and the numbers changed. I ended up putting anything new in a 'New' section at the end of the list.

Bill.

ADSM2 | Silvers | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP TS251+ | Minimserver
2017-08-30, 20:03
(2017-08-28 09:33)Briain Wrote:  There is another thread entitled 'come back cd's all is forgiven' relating mostly to control point issues, but also noting the ease of use that CD's provided, and whilst typing suggestions about the former - narrowing down the control point issues - it occurs to me that the re-introduction of Kinsky Jukebox (likely Kazoo Jukebox) could also address the latter (as I have posted, here).

Bri Smile

Bri, I get what Wiltshireman in complaining about in his thread. I've been using both Naim's ND5 XS and Linn's Majik DSM/3 side by side when streaming music from my network for the last couple of days. In my world I want the simplicity/ease of use of CD replay combined with the convenience of streaming. DSM's approach is lacking that - it is the only area where I think the ND5 is better than the DSM simply because the ND5 has a control point "built-in". To be honest I still don't get Linn's approach of not having a built-in control point. It is surprising to me that even my Onkyo NR-646 is easier to use when streaming music than Naim and Linn. But Linn has all the other bells and whistles that I need/want (I know, first world problem).

Having had no exposure to Jukebox I cannot comment on it.

The other thing Wiltshireman mentioned was the quality of the master/meta data - if the data is garbage, streaming will simply drive you mad.
2017-08-30, 21:38
(2017-08-30 20:03)sunshine Wrote:  The other thing Wiltshireman mentioned was the quality of the master/meta data - if the data is garbage, streaming will simply drive you mad.

Absolutely true. This is one of two major weaknesses of the streaming paradigm (the other being the poor quality of many internet connections and home networks). At present, the only way to fix the metadata problem is to take charge yourself.

This need not be as daunting as some people believe. Metadata applications (such as MP3Tag for the PC or Metadatics for the Mac) are probably easier to learn than a word processor or spreadsheet program, and allow for bulk editing , so you can (for instance) change all the Artist or AlbumArtist values for all the albums in a particular artist folder in one hit, thereby ensuring that the artist's name is consistently spelt through all of them. Clever server programs (like MinimServer) allow you to display an artist name as 'The Doors' while indexing and browsing for it under 'Doors, The'.
If you treat the process of (ripping and) tagging your collection as a voyage of discovery, it will be much more enjoyable than you expect. I was actually rather sorry when the job was done.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2017-08-31, 08:02
(2017-08-30 21:38)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-08-30 20:03)sunshine Wrote:  The other thing Wiltshireman mentioned was the quality of the master/meta data - if the data is garbage, streaming will simply drive you mad.

Absolutely true. This is one of two major weaknesses of the streaming paradigm (the other being the poor quality of many internet connections and home networks). At present, the only way to fix the metadata problem is to take charge yourself.

This need not be as daunting as some people believe. Metadata applications (such as MP3Tag for the PC or Metadatics for the Mac) are probably easier to learn than a word processor or spreadsheet program, and allow for bulk editing , so you can (for instance) change all the Artist or AlbumArtist values for all the albums in a particular artist folder in one hit, thereby ensuring that the artist's name is consistently spelt through all of them. Clever server programs (like MinimServer) allow you to display an artist name as 'The Doors' while indexing and browsing for it under 'Doors, The'.
If you treat the process of (ripping and) tagging your collection as a voyage of discovery, it will be much more enjoyable than you expect. I was actually rather sorry when the job was done.

David

I completely agree David. You need to establish a pattern for the ripping process and spend a bit of time at the outset learning the process. It's like what they always told you in my long forgotten youth about exams. Read all the questions first and think about the structure of what you're going to write before you pen a single word. I rip in dbPowerAmp and always check all the tags before I actually rip, then use mp3Tag if anything needs updating later.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2017-09-04, 15:56
Just a quick update: despite the before mentioned shortcoming of the Majik DSM/3 I decided to keep the one I had for auditioning. Keeping finger crossed that Linn will implement a (very basic) control point into the DSM line eventually...