Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-16, 10:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / SACD, DSD, PCM conversion

SACD, DSD, PCM conversion
2017-08-31, 08:08
RE: SACD, DSD, PCM conversion
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the gain adjustment topic, there will not be any tool to rid you of the task of adjusting gain level individually per album, if you really want to make sure there are no True Peak Levels above 0dB in a DSD to PCM conversion.

In order to get the best conversion results I use a two-step process:
1. Conversion with XLD
2. Analysis of the converted files with a (non-freeware) analysis tool called MusicScope (https://www.xivero.com/musicscope/).

A gain adjustment of +6dB in XLD is typically o.k. - in approx. 75% of the cases the analysis of the converted files reveals that the True Peak Level does not exceed 0dB. In case it does, you can restart the conversion process with a gain adjustment of +3dB.

By the way: You'll be surprised to find how many "normal" 16/44 files ripped straight from a CD will have a True Peak Level that exceeds 0dB when analyzed with MusicScope. And I don't delete such an album either, if it sounds good. ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-02, 07:35
(2017-08-31 08:08)CTI Wrote:  Correct me, if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the gain adjustment topic, there will not be any tool to rid you of the task of adjusting gain level individually per album, if you really want to make sure there are no True Peak Levels above 0dB in a DSD to PCM conversion.

1. Conversion with XLD
2. Analysis of the converted files with a (non-freeware) analysis tool called MusicScope (https://www.xivero.com/musicscope/).

A gain adjustment of +6dB in XLD is typically o.k. - in approx. 75% of the cases the analysis of the converted files reveals that the True Peak Level does not exceed 0dB. In case it does, you can restart the conversion process with a gain adjustment of +3dB.

By the way: You'll be surprised to find how many "normal" 16/44 files ripped straight from a CD will have a True Peak Level that exceeds 0dB when analyzed with MusicScope. And I don't delete such an album either, if it sounds good. ;-)

Loudness war....

Thanks, will try it out, could you please post your exact XLD settings?
2017-09-03, 07:32
(2017-09-02 07:35)erho Wrote:  
(2017-08-31 08:08)CTI Wrote:  Correct me, if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the gain adjustment topic, there will not be any tool to rid you of the task of adjusting gain level individually per album, if you really want to make sure there are no True Peak Levels above 0dB in a DSD to PCM conversion.

1. Conversion with XLD

Loudness war....

Thanks, will try it out, could you please post your exact XLD settings?

Here you go:
"DSD Importer Settings"
- Samplerate Conversion: 88200 Hz
- SRC Algorithm: SoX VHQ Linear Phase
- Quantization: 24-bit Integer
- Gain Adjustment: + 6 dB
2017-09-05, 04:54
Thank you.