Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-16, 10:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Spotify Integration

Spotify Integration
2017-08-30, 13:37
Spotify Integration
Just had a tweet from Linn saying Spotify has been integrated into it's DS. No link to how.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-30, 13:43
RE: Spotify Integration
It's in the firmware. Still beta though.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-30, 13:59
(2017-08-30 13:37)Scooter Wrote:  Just had a tweet from Linn saying Spotify has been integrated into it's DS. No link to how.

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/SpotifyConnect
2017-08-30, 14:56 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-30 14:57 by popko.)
(2017-08-30 13:59)VicB Wrote:  
(2017-08-30 13:37)Scooter Wrote:  Just had a tweet from Linn saying Spotify has been integrated into it's DS. No link to how.

Fired up Spotify on my Android phone (Google Pixel with Android 8/Oreo), clicked Discover Weekly, and the app notified me that a Linn DS was found. One click and it streams. Seems to work wonderful so far. Works with Spotify premium only, mind you.
2017-08-30, 21:20
That's slightly amusing. I was desperate for Spotify integration for ages, but then gave up and discovered Tidal has improved (with much improved classical selection) and so now I'm a fully signed up for Tidal and very happy with it!
2017-08-30, 22:11
(2017-08-30 21:20)gdp1965 Wrote:  That's slightly amusing. I was desperate for Spotify integration for ages, but then gave up and discovered Tidal has improved (with much improved classical selection) and so now I'm a fully signed up for Tidal and very happy with it!

Likewise... with Qobuz 16 bit. I kept the Spotify Premium running while I got used to Qobuz... and the kids like it on their devices. So now I fear that one of the two services will be phased out in this household. I'm holding off updating my DD as I didn't like the way the most recent one sounded... I'm still on the one from 2 update cycles ago.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2017-09-01, 17:16
Good to know it's there for when guests come but I too gave up my Spotify Premium account once I moved over to Tidal. Is there much difference in quality between the integrated Spotify and just using AirPlay? I ask only because I recently set my mother up with a Chromecast audio so she could listen to BBC Radio iPlayer and Spotify through her 30yo Bang & Olufsen system. I took the opportunity to cast my basic Spotify and Tidal (lossless HiFi) through it and, frankly both sounded excellent - I couldn't hear the difference. Having done the same back home (Spotify on AirPlay versus Tidal integrated) on my MDSM I was surprised at just how poor Spotify sounded compared to Tidal. Is it just the Linn system exposing the weakness? If so, it's odd that my mother now has something that sounds as good (to my ears at least) on her B&O that I have on my Linn!

Ian
2017-09-01, 17:27
(2017-09-01 17:16)IanF Wrote:  Good to know it's there for when guests come but I too gave up my Spotify Premium account once I moved over to Tidal. Is there much difference in quality between the integrated Spotify and just using AirPlay? I ask only because I recently set my mother up with a Chromecast audio so she could listen to BBC Radio iPlayer and Spotify through her 30yo Bang & Olufsen system. I took the opportunity to cast my basic Spotify and Tidal (lossless HiFi) through it and, frankly both sounded excellent - I couldn't hear the difference. Having done the same back home (Spotify on AirPlay versus Tidal integrated) on my MDSM I was surprised at just how poor Spotify sounded compared to Tidal. Is it just the Linn system exposing the weakness? If so, it's odd that my mother now has something that sounds as good (to my ears at least) on her B&O that I have on my Linn!

Ian

Well, Spotify isn't lossless so I'm not surprised Tidal sounds better. As for difference between Connect direct and Airplay - I can;t imagine there would be much. Maybe songcasting would be better, but the source is still going to be the same.
I think the Connect integration is purely for ease of use, at least at the moment. If/when Spotify goes lossless, then it may be a different question.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-01, 17:36
(2017-08-30 14:56)popko Wrote:  
(2017-08-30 13:59)VicB Wrote:  

Fired up Spotify on my Android phone (Google Pixel with Android 8/Oreo), clicked Discover Weekly, and the app notified me that a Linn DS was found. One click and it streams. Seems to work wonderful so far. Works with Spotify premium only, mind you.

I am curious to how this is working then. The DS can't log on as such to the service because it doesn't have password details entered in Konfig etc. So I can only assume the phone is pulling down the stream and then its in effect (not literally perhaps) being songcast/airplayed to the device across your network?

Is that right?

Services like Qobuz log on directly. and pull the stream that way. The pro of the Spotify experience is that you can enjoy the Spotify experience but hear it on the DS. Not sure if there are quality cons etc. or not. The advantage of say the Qobuz implementation is that you can do the whole thing from Kazoo and full quality up to (24/192).

TBH I would really like to launch things directly from Qobuz to the DS but not really if it compromised quality. Or I would use it far less.

Interesting idea and be keen to understand how it really works. My guesses could easily be wrong.
2017-09-01, 17:39
For the comparison 'at home' were you using Spotify Premium ?

(2017-09-01 17:16)IanF Wrote:  Good to know it's there for when guests come but I too gave up my Spotify Premium account once I moved over to Tidal. Is there much difference in quality between the integrated Spotify and just using AirPlay? I ask only because I recently set my mother up with a Chromecast audio so she could listen to BBC Radio iPlayer and Spotify through her 30yo Bang & Olufsen system. I took the opportunity to cast my basic Spotify and Tidal (lossless HiFi) through it and, frankly both sounded excellent - I couldn't hear the difference. Having done the same back home (Spotify on AirPlay versus Tidal integrated) on my MDSM I was surprised at just how poor Spotify sounded compared to Tidal. Is it just the Linn system exposing the weakness? If so, it's odd that my mother now has something that sounds as good (to my ears at least) on her B&O that I have on my Linn!

Ian

Main: KEDSM, 350's with 4 Tundra Stereos and Akurate Exakt Box 10, 520 rears, Oppo 203, Sky Q.
Office: Renew DS2 and 530s.