Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-16, 10:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Spotify Integration

Spotify Integration
2017-09-01, 18:34
RE: Spotify Integration
My understanding of spotify connect is that the renderer (in this case the DS) directly streams from spotify; the control point (e.g. an iPhone) then just acts as a remote control; that changes in the very moment you switch from listening to the phone (or whatever, at first both control point and renderer in upnp terms) to another "spotify connect"-device (then renderer) in the e.g. iPhone app.

The streaming quality on the iPhone depends on what you defined in the preferences; the quality in case of using connect is always the highest available.

In my case using playing spotify via airplay on my DS was poor, mainly because there were frequent dropouts (but not when airplaying to other devices). Also, if you listen to spotify with a lower sound quality on your iPhone or PC/Mac (to save bandwith) and you airplay / songcast it then to your DS, the lower sound quality is transferred to your DS ... Airplay restricts the quality as well, but I don't remember to what degree.

Majik DSM/1 & Majik 109s
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-01, 18:35
(2017-09-01 17:36)Martin H Wrote:  I am curious to how this is working then. The DS can't log on as such to the service because it doesn't have password details entered in Konfig etc. So I can only assume the phone is pulling down the stream and then its in effect (not literally perhaps) being songcast/airplayed to the device across your network?

ok, that's weird... to find out i closed down spotify on my mac (where i started playing through ds) and to be sure closed down spotify on iphone as well: the music continues playing although there is no spotify running. when i start spotify again it shows current playing song just as if it has been active in the background. strange!

anyway: it is great to have spotify running this way and being able to stream trough my ds. thank you linn, this feature has been desperately waited for!

systems can be found in profile
2017-09-01, 18:40
I think the authentification of the spotify connect-device (on our case the DS) is done through the device which runs the spotify app; the iphone establishes the connection between the DS and spotify.

What you, bassato, described is in terms of spotify connect the "expected behaviour" ;-)

While playing a current spotify playlist, you can close all open spotify apps and then use the DS hardware buttons to skip etc. ...

I like it as well ...

Majik DSM/1 & Majik 109s
2017-09-01, 20:15
OK so from what you say you think the Spotify app effectively 'authenticates' the DS because it is authenticated. I wonder how exactly, maybe it picks up the ip/mac address locally and passes it on to Spotify where it is held temporarily and validated against the incoming. Maybe more likely Spotify passes a 'token' which is passed on with the request. The phone must pass the 'song request data to the DS as Kazoo would which then requests it direct from spotify I guess.
Just intrigued really. The more I think about it a temporary lease token makes the most sense.

Sorry - its not that it matters, just made me wonder. Thx
2017-09-01, 21:35
(2017-09-01 17:39)flatcoat Wrote:  For the comparison 'at home' were you using Spotify Premium ?

(2017-09-01 17:16)IanF Wrote:  Good to know it's there for when guests come but I too gave up my Spotify Premium account once I moved over to Tidal. Is there much difference in quality between the integrated Spotify and just using AirPlay? I ask only because I recently set my mother up with a Chromecast audio so she could listen to BBC Radio iPlayer and Spotify through her 30yo Bang & Olufsen system. I took the opportunity to cast my basic Spotify and Tidal (lossless HiFi) through it and, frankly both sounded excellent - I couldn't hear the difference. Having done the same back home (Spotify on AirPlay versus Tidal integrated) on my MDSM I was surprised at just how poor Spotify sounded compared to Tidal. Is it just the Linn system exposing the weakness? If so, it's odd that my mother now has something that sounds as good (to my ears at least) on her B&O that I have on my Linn!

Ian

No - in both cases Spotify was the basic version and Tidal was HiFi lossless. I'm not surprised Tidal beat Spotify hands down on my Linn, just surprised there was no difference when listening via Chromecast into an old amplifier.

Ian
2017-09-01, 21:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-01 21:42 by bassato.)
...like spotify sound quality on ds for the first time (although there is an element of loudness characteristic)
...like controlling my music on iphone locked screen
...like the immediate reaction - just grab your iphone, locked screen appears and everything is immediately responsive from here
...like controlling the volume by the iphone hardware-buttons without opening any app

well well, some of these things would be really nice having within kazoo...

systems can be found in profile
2017-09-02, 04:58
i love it. thanks linn.Smile