Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Musing in the eye of Hurricane PaulSurround

Musing in the eye of Hurricane PaulSurround
2017-09-04, 17:37
RE: Musing in the eye of Hurricane PaulSurround
plan E: change your name to Tin!

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-05, 12:00
Plan F: get rid of this Linn stuff that obviously is not out-of-the-box ready and much too finicky and be like every other savvy electronics consumer by purchasing a Bose Wave system from the shopping channel in affordable monthly equal payments. Tongue

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
2017-09-05, 13:41
Who has watched all of Better Call Saul, cautionary tale

Cymbiosis Black Ash LP12, Cirkus, Hercules, Tramp2, Linn Ittok VII, DV20X(L), Renew ADSM, 2xMajik 4100D, Aktiv Misos, Black ICs, K40 speaker cable
2017-09-05, 22:20
Hurricane Paulsurround has finally died down. Paul and Janice have just left here and are on their way back to Vancouver, probably to accost someone else. Smile As I look around the room and see 13mm wrenches, tape measures, spirit levels, laptop, ipad, bits of tin foil and 17 new SO settings on my list I think of how much fun it was to get to know Paul in person instead of the phone or forum. He's a great person and very generous with his time and SO knowledge. A great experience! Safe travels Paul and thanks!

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-06, 05:28
(2017-09-05 22:20)bettermusic Wrote:  Hurricane Paulsurround has finally died down. Paul and Janice have just left here and are on their way back to Vancouver, probably to accost someone else. Smile As I look around the room and see 13mm wrenches, tape measures, spirit levels, laptop, ipad, bits of tin foil and 17 new SO settings on my list I think of how much fun it was to get to know Paul in person instead of the phone or forum. He's a great person and very generous with his time and SO knowledge. A great experience! Safe travels Paul and thanks!

Thanks Gary,

It was wonderful to finally meet you and your lovely wife and really appreciate you could fit us into your schedule. She put together a couple of very wonderful lunches for us that were so tasty.

I was so glad that you and I were able to attempt a collaboration with SPACE optimization, as we both take a very different approach, yet ended up with a great outcome. I think there may be some new approaches to SPACE coming in the future, as we explore what we have learned from each other.

I feel very blessed that you already had many of the tools I needed to do Space optimization at you home, so I did not have to lug them around on the plane.

Thanks for lending me your jackhammer, hydraulic lift, van der Graf generator, mass spectrometer, liquid chromatograph, complete works of William Shakespeare, and all of Mozart's symphonies in e major.

I was so pleased you also had a subatomic tone generator and torque wrench that could dial in 1/100th of a newton meter, and the blinky light thingy that goes "bing"

Although we didn't have a chance to use any of it, it was the thought that counts. Tongue

Next time we work on the foil wraps?

Thanks for the fish!!!

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-09-06, 13:59
(2017-09-02 11:45)Briain Wrote:  Packet drops would require quite a large signal to be coupled into the cat5, so I doubt that's what's happening. If packet re-sends were to create any audible impact, then the easiest way to test for that would be to heavily load the network segment [EDIT using an old network hub - instead of a switch - would be the way to do it] up with traffic (thus causing a few collisions and re-sends) and see if it changes the sound of the DS streaming. As I say, I doubt that's what's happening and in any case, that would be masked by the DS's data buffer, so by [thought] process of elimination, it leaves only what's sometimes referred to as the 'pin 1 problem' (though in this case, via the Ethernet socket). Google will find many articles on same (including radio ham microphone cables) and when I just tried it, the first link it found was on the Rane site (see here: http://www.rane.com/note165.html) which I haven't read, but a quick scroll down the page indicated it could be quite a good one for describing what's going on. Of course, an Ethernet cable doesn't typically have a screen (which terminates to the board instead of the case) so it's not exactly as described on that page, but it is 4 unscreened pairs extending into the case and terminated on the Ethernet chip (so more like 4 pin one problems Tongue ) and though I assume that Linn (and the Ethernet chip designer) have taken measures to deal with that possibility, I can only assume that once inside, a tiny fraction of it is being perhaps coupled into areas beyond that interface (as unless I'm missing something very esoteric about it all, I really can't think of any other mechanism whereby patch cables - or the screening thereof - could make an audible difference). Of course, I would be happy to be proved wrong, as the answer would be even more fascinating than a variant on the 'pin 1 problem'! Smile

Waving a radio about is quite interesting. The thing I like about the bank of FRIWO units is that they're quiet close up, but once you get a few feet from them, they are pretty much undetectable (I was using a nice old Roberts Radio for the test). Smile

The Sky+ box was a real racket producing horror, but I'm not sure if they're all like that, or whether my one has lost part of its mains filter (that can happen with SMPS units, be they the ones inside products, or of the wall-wart variety). I know that one of my friends has a selection of Sky boxes (he keeps them for helping out when a customer's one fails) so I must borrow one of the same type and see if it's similarly noisy.

It would be handy to identify a tight-braid coax (that you can buy by the metre, on line) as the stuff I used was a bespoke one used for the IF of NEC microwave radio units (similar arrangement to the coaxial link between a sky box and the LNB) and it has twin screens with almost no gaps between the wire strands (though for this sort of stuff, I think almost any grade of screen would more than suffice).

To cover it, I used something like the RS stuff (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-sleeves/0408237/) and a short length of clear heat-shrink at each end (to keep it in place and stop it from fraying).

When I looked at the Sky+ box, I discovered that the case is grounded through the HDMI connection to my ADSM, so I terminated the box end of screen with a lug and fitted it under one of the existing screws at the back (so effectively 'extending' the Sky+ box's chassis to also surround its mains cable). Once you remove all the plastic, the Sky+ box is actually quite nicely screened by an internal metal box (only the back of which is left visible).

Bri

PS Poking the short wave radio at the front of the DS display window is rather fun (remember that you have to rotate it as the radio's internal ferrite rod antenna is directional) as you then hear the (actually quite funky) sounds from the digital works within. It's actually quite a musical cacophony, but I guess you would expect nothing less from a KDS! Big Grin

Interesting thread
Thanks for the link to the braid
Does it need to be earthed/grounded?
How did you achieve that?
Did Eldarboy earth his aluminium foil?
Would a non conducting spacer work as well? -I was just thinking the squared law
Any thoughts /advice?
Best wishes
Marvan
2017-09-06, 14:48
As you can see from the photo, the cables are simply wrapped at the points of contact; the ethernet cable is fully wrapped. I am still amazed that it all actually works: especially given that I have a dedicated main spur to the electrical box, and an hospital grade mains plug. A very expansive sound stage has been the end result to Paul's, and first glance, hair-brained scheme. Big Grin

2017-09-06, 16:52
(2017-08-31 20:59)Eldarboy Wrote:  Well, the assault wave of the spinning Hurricane PaulSurround has left havoc and incredulity in its wake. There are foil wrappings, confusing numbers and oddly constructed shelves, all in the pursuit of sonic bliss. Well, I am pleased to report, that bliss indeed is the best adjective.

First to SO and ExaKt. Paul (&Janice) and I enjoyed a wonderful day visiting Gary (Bettermusic), who is my Linn dealer. He treated us to a lovely lunch and his hospitality was greatly appreciated. Gary and I had spent hours using his "Space Tones (ST)" to enhance the standard ExaKt SO readings calculated by the Linn SO application in order to develop Bliss (Ideal Sound) when he first installed my system. Paul, as you know, uses an intuitive approach: he listens to his "Test" recordings, and plays with SO to develop his Bliss.

I walked away from this wonderful day of SO tweaking and discussing with the following three step approach:
1. Use the Linn calculated SO as a base upon which to improve the sound.
2. Use the Analytical "Space Tones" approach to improve upon that base sound: you will indeed significantly improve upon it with this method. It is also easy to use.
3. With patience, time and a willingness to do some research and playing around, use Paul's "Intutitive" approach to narrow the sound to your ideal Bliss.

With the help of both, I am the fortunate possessor of a brilliantly sounding pair of ExaKted AV5140s on an Akurate base system.

The SO changes and their subsequent improvements were not, however, the big gain of the night.

Like many others, I chuckled when my dear friend Paul went on about aluminium foil. I am never one to disagree with someone who hears an improvement to their system, regardless of their methodology. If they are happy, so am I.

While listening to the improved SO Bliss, Paul could not sit still very long, and like a child on Christmas morning wanting to sneak a peek into his stuffed stocking before being given permission to open it, Paul got behind my stereo to look at the octopi of cables and interconnects, and with a brusque, Tisk-Tisk, we pulled the unit from the wall, and Paul had me cutting sheets of foil for him.

After he was done, I was ready to agree that there indeed was some improvement so as not to seem ungrateful (ingratitude is the vilest weed that in the garden grows), and, once departed for the beautiful western shores of this great country, waste my time unwrapping and throwing away once perfectly good foil.

To no longer keep you, my dear devoted readers, in suspense: my chin hit the floor at how much of an improvement was made. The sound was now effortless, the sound stage massive, the detailing was significantly improved. I was bewildered. I wondered what sorcery this magician had performed; there was no way just foil could do that. Well, where ever the power cords came in contact with other cords, there was foil wrapping; the ethernet cable from the DSM to the ExaKt box is wrapped. All in the name of BLISS.

Paul explained that with the ethernet cable connected the DSM to the ExaKt box and being touched by other cables, interference was being created, causing the DSM to rapidly resend packets of data, and that is why the music sounded laboured. Without the interference, it sounds effortless, full-bodied and less harsh.

I encourage you to do the same if you have power mains cords and ethernet cables touching anything that conducts data or electrical current. I will update further improvements that are sure to happen once Paul returns from his safari to the US in search of another system to practice is sorcery on.

OK, you got me.. is this for real? If so, which cords do you suggest I wrap as lp12 is only source I'm confused concerned with. Don't have any streaming devices.

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, KCT, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.
Bedroom system: Majik Int Amp (LK style), Pekin tuner, walnut Tukans, Sony universal disc player
2017-09-06, 17:32
Wrap any that come into contact with another cable. If not, wrap them all as an experiment: don't expect anything so that your ears will not be listening for something. As I posted, I was very skeptical.

2017-09-07, 01:27
(2017-09-06 17:32)Eldarboy Wrote:  Wrap any that come into contact with another cable. If not, wrap them all as an experiment: don't expect anything so that your ears will not be listening for something. As I posted, I was very skeptical.

Yes, i agree with Eldarboy.

It is worth a try.

Nothing to lose, except for a bit of foil.

If it works for you, you are a hero.

If it doesn't work, you can add the extra bits to your tin foil hat. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels