Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-22, 04:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Linn DS and its IP

Linn DS and its IP
2017-09-03, 02:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-03 03:18 by DeQMaster.)
Linn DS and its IP
Hi all

Long time without hanging over here...

My Linn system has been on off during the last 2/3 years (yes, long story)

I have been trying to get it back to work and my renew, which is running an old version of davaar, doesnt like any IP range but 192.168.0.X, where my ip range at home is different (actually 195.235.1.X), so it doesnt get any IP at all if i dont change my router ip range to 192.168.0.X

Is that a behaviour on purpose? Its a known bug?

Also, a question for Linn insiders i guess... If i want to update my ancient version of davaar, i must upgrade each version until i reach the latest or just the latest one will do directly?

Best regards for all of you

-DeQMaster

RDS, Audio Research LS26, Klimax KXOs, 4200D, 2x 2250, Keltiks (W15LY001 midrange units+ribbon supertweeters) - Silvers and K400
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-03, 07:17
RE: Linn DS and its IP
First of all I would urge you not to use an non-private IP range in your local network.
I have no idea if Linn has build in a failsafe against using that, but it is not recommendable anyway.
Are you sure your DHCP server is handing out IP addresses in the correct, or wrong in your case, subnets?

As far as the upgrade path goes, you need to upgrade both Konfig on your computer as Davaar on your DS. If you download the newest Konfig it should be able to install the newest Davaar directly.
2017-09-03, 13:44
Hi Tin

Thanks for your answer.

I dont use the typical local IP addresses for a good reason.

Lets see if Linn staff ppl can give me a sight of light here.

Regards

RDS, Audio Research LS26, Klimax KXOs, 4200D, 2x 2250, Keltiks (W15LY001 midrange units+ribbon supertweeters) - Silvers and K400
2017-09-04, 08:36
(2017-09-03 13:44)DeQMaster Wrote:  Hi Tin

Thanks for your answer.

I dont use the typical local IP addresses for a good reason.

Lets see if Linn staff ppl can give me a sight of light here.

Regards

DS always gets its IP address from the DHCP server - it cannot have a fixed address (or subnet). Your DHCP server must be issuing the wrong address (or not issuing addresses at all) when you are on the 192.235.x.x subnet. Alternatively, your DS is getting an address on the 192.235.x.x subnet, but the router is sending all traffic to this address to the internet as it is part of the public address space.

Aside - the 10.x.x.x and 172.20.x.x subnets are also reserved for private networks if you wish to avoid 192.168.x.x