Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 21:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Twonky Server 8.3 on QNAP

Twonky Server 8.3 on QNAP
2017-09-06, 08:12
Twonky Server 8.3 on QNAP
Hi,
Noticed that there is new firmware for my QNAP.

The release notes say "Twonky Server 8.3 is now a built-in feature for the following NAS models ..."

I use MinimServer but thought this might be of interest to some people.

Paul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-06, 11:06 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-06 11:09 by Briain.)
RE: Twonky Server 8.3 on QNAP
Hi

That is very interesting news. I know that Qnap stopped support for Twonky (likely assuming their own media server services would suffice as a replacement) so that meant anyone updating recent NAS versions to the 64 bit version of QTS found that to get a suitable version of Twonky, they had to download it from the Twonky forum page then buy a key to activate it. That said, older units and ARM based units were still okay, but my understanding was that they would get no further Twonky updates.

I know that over the years, most of the work done on Twonky was associated with the 'media receivers' settings whereby Twonky could be set to cope with all these poorly implemented UPnP televisions (and the likes) so it very much surprised me that Qnap thought their own scheme would suffice, but I just assumed that current TV's were perhaps more advanced (well, less buggy might be a better way of putting it) and thus the problems were not anything like as bad as they used to be.

From what you are saying, it looks like Qnap have struck a new deal with Twonky, so I wonder if they got a raft of support tickets from UPnP television owners who had issues when browsing photos and watching films? I must later take a dive into the Qnap forum to see if I can find out what's happening, so thank you for the heads-up on this development.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-07, 07:39
I'm taking minim for music and the QNAP media server only for video and pictures. Works well.

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-07, 11:26
Note the full line: "Twonky Server 8.3 is now a built-in feature for the following NAS models that have serial numbers beginning with Q16 (or smaller numbers):"
Twonky only appears to install UPTO and including Serial Q16, later serial numbers do not appear to get this built-in feature you have to download/licence it from http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

Regards
Yoda
"Good relations with the Wookiees, I have"
2017-09-07, 14:59
(2017-09-07 07:39)JPO2005 Wrote:  I'm taking minim for music and the QNAP media server only for video and pictures. Works well.

I personally prefer PLEX media server for my pictures and video.

Dave

LP12+Origin Live Alliance+Ortofon 2m Red > Graham Slee Communicator = KDSr/1 > silver > KK/1D > silver > Keltik Klimax XOvers > black > 2x4200/D > K600(+2) > Keltiks
2017-09-07, 15:57
(2017-09-07 14:59)entdgc Wrote:  
(2017-09-07 07:39)JPO2005 Wrote:  I'm taking minim for music and the QNAP media server only for video and pictures. Works well.

I personally prefer PLEX media server for my pictures and video.

Dave

Okay I will tested PLEX again. Thanks

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-13, 14:07
(2017-09-06 11:06)Briain Wrote:  Hi

That is very interesting news. I know that Qnap stopped support for Twonky (likely assuming their own media server services would suffice as a replacement) so that meant anyone updating recent NAS versions to the 64 bit version of QTS found that to get a suitable version of Twonky, they had to download it from the Twonky forum page then buy a key to activate it. That said, older units and ARM based units were still okay, but my understanding was that they would get no further Twonky updates.

I know that over the years, most of the work done on Twonky was associated with the 'media receivers' settings whereby Twonky could be set to cope with all these poorly implemented UPnP televisions (and the likes) so it very much surprised me that Qnap thought their own scheme would suffice, but I just assumed that current TV's were perhaps more advanced (well, less buggy might be a better way of putting it) and thus the problems were not anything like as bad as they used to be.

From what you are saying, it looks like Qnap have struck a new deal with Twonky, so I wonder if they got a raft of support tickets from UPnP television owners who had issues when browsing photos and watching films? I must later take a dive into the Qnap forum to see if I can find out what's happening, so thank you for the heads-up on this development.

Bri Smile
Hi Bri,

Here is the info from the latest QNAP FW 4.3.3.0299 build 20170901 2017-09-05.

My new QNAP 253A has serial number Q16... so it is of great interest to me.

Hope it helps...TomP

"[New Feature]
- Twonky Server is now a built-in feature for the following NAS models that have serial numbers beginning with Q16 or smaller numbers:
Twonky Server 8.3: TS-x63U-RP, TS-x63U, TS-x53U-RP, TS-x53U, TS-x51U, TS-x79 Pro, TVS-x71T, TVS-x71, TVS-x63+, TVS-x63, TS-x63, TVS-x63, TS-x53A, TBS-x53A, TS-x53 Pro, TS-x53S Pro (formerly known as the SS-x53 Pro), TS-x53mini, TS-x51+, TS-x51, TS-x51S, TS-x51C, TS-x31P, TS-x31+, HS-x51+, HS-x51, TVS-x70, TS-x70 Pro, TS-x70, TS-x69 Pro, TS-x69L, IS-400 Pro, TS-x21, TS-x21U, TS-x20, TS-x20U, TS-x19P II, TS-x19P+, TS-x19P, TS-x19, TS-x19U II, TS-x19U+, TS-x19U, TS-x12U, TS-x12-E, TS-x12P, and TS-x12.
Twonky Server 8.2.1: TS-x31 and TS-431U "

Regards...TomP

Majik DS SPDIF > Cyrus Pre XPD Qx DAC, X-Power, Cyrus CD-t transport, PMC GB-1 speakers, AKG K702 and Sennheiser 650 headphones.