Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / best control for ds on android

best control for ds on android
2017-09-12, 11:30
best control for ds on android
I use iTunes on a laptop at the moment
I am looking at buying a nas and using another way of controlling it.
I have a android tablet which I use tidel on
What is the best way to control my music on android
I do have a iphone 6 so I could use os
But I would rather use the tablet then have to buy a new ipad so my partner can use it without turning the labtop on
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-12, 11:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-12 21:38 by ContinentaltypeR.)
RE: best control for ds on android
(2017-09-12 11:30)stuart1471 Wrote:  I use iTunes on a laptop at the moment
I am looking at buying a nas and using another way of controlling it.
I have a android tablet which I use tidel on
What is the best way to control my music on android
I do have a iphone 6 so I could use os
But I would rather use the tablet then have to buy a new ipad so my partner can use it without turning the labtop on

Kinsky and Kazoo are free and work on an Android tablet. Bubble DS is available in the Play Store for a small fee and also works very well. IMO better than the first two.
2017-09-12, 11:43
(2017-09-12 11:39)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  Kinski and Kazoo are free and work on an Android tablet. Bubble DS is available in the Play Store for a small fee and also works very well. IMO better than the first two.

Agreed - I have a Nexus 7 and have used Bubble DS for a number of years - I've never got on well with either Kazoo or Kinsky.

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM/2 | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-09-12, 11:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-12 12:06 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-12 11:30)stuart1471 Wrote:  What is the best way to control my music on android

For a local music library, BubbleDS, without a doubt, especially if you use an 'intelligent' server such as MinimServer. The way it allows you to swipe between the various screens (Now Playing, Playlist, Library and Radio) and adapts to different screen resolutions are IMO object lessons in control point design. Bubble does access Tidal as well, but, as I don't have Tidal, I can't say how good the UI is in that use.

Kazoo is catching up Bubble, slowly, and though it isn't there yet, it might be the preferable control point for using Tidal. It also handles multiple rooms better than Bubble, where you have to dig into the menu to find out which room the control point is in. Kazoo is now mostly pretty reliable on Android. For some reason it always crashes on my Nexus 9, but it's fine on my Pixel C and on my Moto phone.

My experience with Lumin on Android has been pretty dismal; it has a tendency to crash and keeps its own index, which is time-consuming and resource-intensive. Part of the problem with Lumin is that its UI is really designed for the classic Artist > Album > track selection sequence, and its native facilities for classical music are a bit limited. While these issues can be worked around, it means that most of the Lumin UI is irrelevant to my main use case. If that would not be an issue for you, it is possible that Lumin may work better for you than it did for me.

You can of course have more than one app on the tablet, and the OpenHome protocol used by Linn allows you to switch between control points even while the DS is in use. I'd advise installing Bubble and Kazoo initially, and seeing how you get on with them.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-12, 13:17
BubbleDS Next is a great solution

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-17, 22:27
I use Kazoo on my android phone.

Linn MajikDSI/SondekLP12/Lingo1/Akito/K9/K20 - Castle Conway3 - QNAP HS251
2017-09-18, 14:23
BubbleDS next is a great software. Lyrics can be accessed, too. Recommended.

Linn Akurate Dsm/0 - Mcintosh Mcd301 - Naim Supernait 2 - Atc Scm40.