Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Please need help!

Please need help!
2017-09-16, 20:56
Please need help!
Hello Linn Fans!

After many years with a Linn Karik and then a Linn Karik/Numerik (Karik Brilliant power supply Numerik last edition Slim Line Brilliant) the Karik has bit the dust.

The question is I was thrilled with the Karik/Numerik with my vintage tube amps and not so thrilled when used with Linn Kairn and Klouts.

That is not the question the question is I was quite happy with just Karik Numerik CD but are all VERY long in the tooth and faulty ones way out number working Kariks. I had located an unplayed 10 year old Linn Majik CD as a replacement but with Linn no longer servicing CD players I felt it was quite risky with no transport replacement likely?

So my options were

1. Buy the Majik CD and hope for the best? (it was not cheap by any means as much as Majik DS used which is newer)

2. Buy a demo Naim CD5Si a CD player I have never heard at reasonable price, some warranty and still in service life.

3. Buy a Majik DS (Dynamik)

4. Buy a original Akurate DS (with Dynamik power supply upgrade)

Am I missing any reasonable option? (I could stretch to maybe a couple thousand pounds if improvement over what I had)

I do not own thousands of CD's like I have heard reading these posts from many on this forum but hundreds of CD's likely 200-300? Not yet counted. So ripping is not a monumental task.

What I do NOT want is anything less than the latest KarikIII/Numerik that I was used too sound wise!

What do I have to spend to at LEAST equal that combo which was awesome with the vintage tube amps? (heavily modded restored Fishers)

My other source is my now 30 year old LP12 Lingo I, Ekos II (one of the last ones) Cirkus, Adikt. LOVED both the Linn sources.

My other source is a Oppo BDP-95 which has got some use now with no Karik. I know some on here think the Oppo is good source but has me scratching my head as it is NOWHERE near as good as Karik/Numerik but of course does play everything and we of course use it for video which it is great and concerts. (so Oppo is perfect in it's role)

So I do not need any undisc player just a GREAT sounding CD player would be fine.

If I go the DS route I need to have a NAS and whatever to make sure it sounds at least as good as Karik. Need recommendations there please! I truly know nothing. I have some music on hard drive for the Oppo and have not really been impressed.

I have worries it is not going to be easy (like I suspect many will think) to replace Karik/Numerik? I know the Linn line is everything new is better than everything old but I hear guys talk about how great the Oppo is and I don't get it???

I have also read threads on here with some guys claiming their KarikIII/Numerik they "enjoyed" more than their Klimax DS scaring the crap out of me!

Please help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-16, 21:31
RE: Please need help!
Hi Volleyguy2,

I also have a KarikIII, but instead the Numerik, I use a Mutec Reclocker.
The results are excellent, but honestly I prefer the sound of my rippend CDs via my AEDSM. I also ripped approximately 300 CDs, which took a while, and some are better others worse than Tidal albums. Depends on the recording.

I can really recommend the streaming option, esp. with HiRes-Stuff.

BR Frank

LINN: LP12, EKOS 2, Krystal, Radikal, AEDSM, Akubarik Exakt, Karik III
POWER: MFE Power Conditioner NF-3, Goldkabel executive SuperCord Gold
NAS: Synology RS814 (8TB), Minimserver
SAT: VU+ Solo2 Twinreceiver HD
2017-09-16, 21:49
Set up a demo. It's the only way to be sure. Have a dealer or a fellow Linnie lend you a DS and hear yourself.

That said I'd hazard to say streaming is the way to go. Ripping 300 CDs is really not to bad and there is always Qobuz or Tidal too.

If you can afford Akurate-level go for it. Or a Klimax Renew.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-09-16, 22:46
(2017-09-16 21:49)mcgillroy Wrote:  Set up a demo. It's the only way to be sure. Have a dealer or a fellow Linnie lend you a DS and hear yourself.

That said I'd hazard to say streaming is the way to go. Ripping 300 CDs is really not to bad and there is always Qobuz or Tidal too.

If you can afford Akurate-level go for it. Or a Klimax Renew.
+1

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-20, 15:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 15:57 by Wiltshireman.)
"I have also read threads on here with some guys claiming their KarikIII/Numerik they "enjoyed" more than their Klimax DS scaring the crap out of me!" How??? They must be deaf!

I have just replaced my Karik and Numerik ( very late models) with a Majik ds and believe me its in a very different league to my old cd player. I haven't enough words in my vocabulary to describe the improvements! As far as I can see the only other option you have is to get an Akurate ds but that would involve a lot of money. I bought a secondhand Majik ds and a brand new Inneos cd ripper/storage and although I did have some issues they are all now behind me and the future looks so good now. Oh nearly forgot that with a ds you get Space and again what that can do to improve things is just amazing. Get a Linn ds and never look back!

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II cables.
2017-09-20, 16:07
yes go DS. Your Statement on the Oppo is probably made on the Oppo playing CDs in compare to your Karik. You could try using the Oppo as a DS-like streamer though. Just to get a feeling for it. You will need a bit of ripped material flacs and a media server but that is all available for pc's and would get you started quickly.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II
2017-09-20, 16:27
Some others will know better, but can the digital output from the Oppo be fed to the input on the Numerik? I know the connections are not compatible - phono on the Oppo and BNC on the Numerik - but a cable can sort that out.
I suspect it will not give you as good a sound as with the Karik (because of the lack of clock sync), but it could still be a reasonable stop-gap whilst you sort out a DS.
KRDS/1 if you can afford it, otherwise an ADS/1 will be great, and an ADS/0/Dynamik will still be a step up from Karik / Numerik.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-20, 17:19
The above are all good solutions, but just out of interest, if the Karik is completely dead then likely it is the Brilliant power supply that has died. There are some third party folks who can fix them, so if you also wish to restore it (perhaps to use in a second system, or even just to sell it) then that might be a possible option; whether that is viable or not depends on how much you would be quoted for the repair, of course.

Bri

NB I made the move from CDs to streaming back in 2007 and I never looked back.

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-10-26, 21:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-27 08:47 by PaulC.)
(2017-10-26 21:15)Lincer Wrote:  [removed link]
[removed link]
No idea what that means and I'm not clicking on these links either.

I just this message won't explode.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-26, 21:47
There is a used Akurate DSM/0 on Audiogon.com for $3200 if you can swing it. Might be an option for you.