Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / NAS storage

NAS storage
2017-09-17, 20:46
NAS storage
Hi All,
I would like to ask a question, I am playing Flac files on my Majik DSM using Kazoo and a WD Mycloud NAS 3tb storage, the Flac files are all tagged with info and artwork, the problem is when trying to control these on my iPhone through the WD some albums have no/wrong artwork and even some tracks mixed up, is this set up viable or is there a problem between the WD Mycloud and Kazoo any help would be good.
Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-17, 22:17
RE: NAS storage
Not familiar with this particular NAS, but standard answer usually is to try to re-build/ re-scan the media server database. Is it a built-in media server or a third party one? /HB
2017-09-18, 12:16
not sure what type of server/service is running on the NAS but a re-build of the database on that should fix it. The ability to set this as daily, manual etc will depend on the service being used but, I'd start there.

LP12, Basic LX/V, Goldring 2100. KDSM, Solos/D, 242s/2
QNAP TS269, SONOS boxes around the house.
2017-09-18, 14:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-18 14:35 by Briain.)
I've never seen one of these units, but my understanding is that they come with Twonkymedia server bundled with them (and my understanding is that it might be quite an old version). As suggested above, a database rebuild might resolve things and if it is Twonky 6 (or earlier) then there will be a Twonky database rebuild button within the Twonky settings web pages, so press that button and see if it fixes things (it will take a while to complete; how long depends on the speed of the NAS and the size of the collection, so it could take anything from a few minutes to an hour to complete the task).

I don't know if WD have 'hidden' the Twonky settings page and supplied their own interface, but you should be able to see the Twonky settings pages (in your browser) by typing the below into your browser's URL field and hitting the return button:

Code:
http://your.nas.IP.address:port

Unless WD have changed it, Twonky's default port is 9000, so for example, if your NAS's IP address is 192.168.1.20, the command would be the below:

Code:
http://192.168.1.20:9000

That should show you the Twonky interface pages and from there, you should be able to see the Twonky version number and if it is Twonky 6 (or below) there will be a Twonky database rebuild button somewhere in these settings pages (from memory, look in the Twonky maintenance section).

From Twonky 7 onwards, you'll still be able to see all the Twonky settings pages, but you'll find that they have removed the database rebuild button (which was a little silly) so if you are on Twonky 7 or Twonky 8, the only way to kick off a Twonky database rebuild is via entering a command in your browser's URL field (then hitting return or enter to make it happen); the command's format is as below:

Code:
http://your.nas.IP.address:port/rpc/rebuild

Unless WD have changed it, Twonky's default port is 9000, so for example, if your NAS's IP address is 192.168.1.20, the command would be the below:

Code:
http://192.168.1.20:9000/rpc/rebuild

Incidentally, the '/rpc/rebuild' trick works for all versions of Twonky (including Twonky 6) so if you can't see the Twonky settings pages (to find the rebuild button) then the above trick should work (and as mentioned in the previous post, a Twonky database rebuild might be all that is required), so it is well worth giving that a shot before anything else. The Twonky database rebuild will not impact on the music files, themselves; it is purely an instruction to Twonky that makes it rebuild its own database (which contains the information extracted from the 'tags' - album, artist, genre, etc - that is then used to generate all the stuff you see in the Kinsky or Kazoo menus) and the same rebuild process also 'refreshes' the Twonky cache of images that are shown in Kinsky or Kazoo.

If that doesn't work, let me know which version of Twonky it is; if it is an older version of Twonky, I might be able to shed some more light on what is going happening (and thus how to fix it). From Twonky 5 to Twonky 6, then changed the way that Twonky deals with embedded art and 'Folder.jpg' images (and there was also a bug in early versions of Twonky 6 where it didn't always parse embedded art correctly from FLAC files) so it's key to know which version of Twonky you are running and whether your CD ripping software is set to use embedded art, Folder.jpg images (or both).

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-18, 22:06
Hi All, Thanks for replys, I think the WD has twonky but it is not shown so I will try rescan/rebuild and see.
Thanks Steve
2017-09-19, 07:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 07:23 by MarkPS.)
Hi
May be of some use? Although not sure if it applies to Mycloud NAS

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/an...px?ID=3300

KDSM(Exakt) KCT(Dyn)+2xKlouts, Klimax Exakt Box, Aktive Kabers- 2 x B&W DB1 subs -Naim Fraim-Naim Headline2/Teddycap mk3- GS1000i
2017-09-19, 09:40
you ought to be able to access the Twonky GUI from Konfig. You launch Konfig on your PC, it probably shows the DS device/about page. On top of the screen click CHANGE. The media servers should be visibly listed on the left hand. Click on Twonky.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II
2017-09-19, 09:46 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 09:50 by swoodmansey.)
had a similar problem and was advised to go to settings, input settings, upnp, clear upnp cache. This worked for me

Ignore above, getting mixed up with similar problem on Muso. Age related mistake.

MAIN - Black Lp12, Majik DS,Akito 2, Lingo 1, Dynavector dv20 XH, Naim Stageline, Supernait, B&W703s, 4xPowerlines, Flatcap2x, Audiophile Base, NACA5.
KITCHEN - Pioneer PL12D, Akai 4000ds,Pioneer SX590, CJ55 with SME3009, Celestion Ditton 15s, Sneaky DSM
2017-09-19, 09:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 11:12 by Briain.)
(2017-09-18 22:06)SKY1950 Wrote:  Hi All, Thanks for replys, I think the WD has twonky but it is not shown so I will try rescan/rebuild and see.
Thanks Steve

Hi

That is entirely plausible as one of the features Twonky used to mention (in their wholesale literature) was the easy capability for third parties to build their own interface for it (or what some folks would now call 're-skin' it). This would be eased as a lot of Twonky's functions can be kicked off via RPC commands (so for some of these things, that's likely what will be going on 'behind' the third party interface) so the rpc/rebuild trick should also still be available for the WD re-skinned version of Twonky.

Of course, it could be that WD have included a rebuild database button in their own interface (trivial to add as all it need do is to send that /rpc/rebuild command) and the clue to show that would be if they have included two buttons; one for a media library rescan and another for a media library rebuild. If they just have the one button to 'rescan' the content, then likely it will be the /rpc/recan function.

My guess is that Twonky removed the rebuild button because they reckoned that they had improved the rescan feature to the extent that it was no longer required, and the downside of doing a rebuild was that it reset the media receivers list (so any manually set devices - like entries Linn control points - needed re-applied; this was the feature where you could select an appropriate media receiver entry to make Twonky send full resolution art to Kinsky or Kazoo).

Whether they have improved the rescan feature (from Twonky 7 onwards) to the extent where a rebuild will never be required, I simply do not know; I'm still using Twonky 6.0.39 for my archive collection (and MinimServer for my main collection) so though I have tested Twonky 7 and Twonky 8, I've not 'hammered' at it.

I once suggested that they include a 'trash cache' feature to clear out the artwork cache. The product manager really liked the idea, but I'm not sure if it eventually appeared or not (though as mentioned before, a database rebuild also cleared out the art cache, though a rescan did not; again, that might also have changed in the more recent versions).

Bri Smile

PS I used to have ones for /rpc/rescan, rpc/rebuild and rpc/restart (which restarts Twonky) saved as browser bookmarks, so once set up, I almost never bothered accessing these (and a few other) functions via the Twonky interface; I just clicked on my bookmarks.

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-19, 16:55
To access Twonky on WD my cloud use the IP address and add:9000 ie 192.100.1.xx:9000

MAIN - Black Lp12, Majik DS,Akito 2, Lingo 1, Dynavector dv20 XH, Naim Stageline, Supernait, B&W703s, 4xPowerlines, Flatcap2x, Audiophile Base, NACA5.
KITCHEN - Pioneer PL12D, Akai 4000ds,Pioneer SX590, CJ55 with SME3009, Celestion Ditton 15s, Sneaky DSM