Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Going down the 4K UHD TV road

Going down the 4K UHD TV road
2017-10-01, 16:06
RE: Going down the 4K UHD TV road
I was very impressed with my Panasonic plasma so picture wise it would be as good as it gets. I don't have experience with Firefox OS but it should be OK I guess. Just one note on Netflix the new star Trek is Dolby vision aware, not that it might make a significant difference. I've seen comparisons of A1 and B7 where A1 looked better but the underlying panel should be identical LG oled.
I would not hesitate to go up to 65". With 4k material it makes a huge difference. On 55 I doubt u.ll notice big difference from full HD. Don't worry about brightness. My lg b7 feels brighter and more enjoyable In my very bright living room compared to 2013 top of the line f9000 led. Blade runner looks so much better.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 20:09
(2017-10-01 16:06)dol Wrote:  I was very impressed with my Panasonic plasma so picture wise it would be as good as it gets. I don't have experience with Firefox OS but it should be OK I guess. Just one note on Netflix the new star Trek is Dolby vision aware, not that it might make a significant difference. I've seen comparisons of A1 and B7 where A1 looked better but the underlying panel should be identical LG oled.
I would not hesitate to go up to 65". With 4k material it makes a huge difference. On 55 I doubt u.ll notice big difference from full HD. Don't worry about brightness. My lg b7 feels brighter and more enjoyable In my very bright living room compared to 2013 top of the line f9000 led. Blade runner looks so much better.

One last thing. My B7 has a possibility for negative AV sync for ARC.
It might be worthwhile to investigate if Panasonic has the same as otherwise built in app might not get perfect lip sync.

Normal sources external to the TV has a lip sync of 85ms which works fine on the KDSM. For built in TV apps which gets sound from app that minimum delay of 15 ms is not fast enough. However the TV allows you to set a negative lip sync for ARC. I believe it is also applied to the optical signal.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2017-12-09, 21:38
I am thinking of taking the plunge and replacing my 11 year-old plasma TV with the LG OLED55B7V. My ADSM doesn’t have the HDMI 2.0 board (and I can’t afford to upgrade at this time). Therefore I plan to connect my Humax box, Apple 3 TV, and BluRay player to the TV via HDMI, with a toslink connection from the TV to the ADSM (no 4K sources at present, so the TV will be upscaling HD).

Any reason why this setup should not work?

Akurate DSM, Akurate 4200 active, Ninkas (Main System), Sneaky DS, Wharfedale Diamonds (Secondary System), QNAP TS-219PII (MinimServer, Asset), iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6+, Kinsky/Kazoo/Lumin
2017-12-09, 22:41
(2017-12-09 21:38)Wammer Wrote:  I am thinking of taking the plunge and replacing my 11 year-old plasma TV with the LG OLED55B7V. My ADSM doesn’t have the HDMI 2.0 board (and I can’t afford to upgrade at this time). Therefore I plan to connect my Humax box, Apple 3 TV, and BluRay player to the TV via HDMI, with a toslink connection from the TV to the ADSM (no 4K sources at present, so the TV will be upscaling HD).

Hi, if you don't have any 4k sources at the movement, you can connect all your HDMI sources to ADSM and connect the HDMI output to the LG TV. For TV internal apps, which are 4k, like Nelflix, a toslink output cable would be the best option to connect to a ADSM input from the TV.

2017-12-09, 23:00
(2017-12-09 22:41)dol Wrote:  
(2017-12-09 21:38)Wammer Wrote:  I am thinking of taking the plunge and replacing my 11 year-old plasma TV with the LG OLED55B7V. My ADSM doesn’t have the HDMI 2.0 board (and I can’t afford to upgrade at this time). Therefore I plan to connect my Humax box, Apple 3 TV, and BluRay player to the TV via HDMI, with a toslink connection from the TV to the ADSM (no 4K sources at present, so the TV will be upscaling HD).

Hi, if you don't have any 4k sources at the movement, you can connect all your HDMI sources to ADSM and connect the HDMI output to the LG TV. For TV internal apps, which are 4k, like Nelflix, a toslink output cable would be the best option to connect to a ADSM input from the TV.
Good point, since the the TV would be doing the upscaling anyway. Presumably when I later acquire 4K sources, such as Sky Q or a 4K BluRay, I would then connect them directly to the TV via HDMI, with the existing toslink connection for the audio?

Akurate DSM, Akurate 4200 active, Ninkas (Main System), Sneaky DS, Wharfedale Diamonds (Secondary System), QNAP TS-219PII (MinimServer, Asset), iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6+, Kinsky/Kazoo/Lumin
2017-12-10, 03:00
Had an old Pioneer Elite 50" plasma for years and I so wanted a larger TV but had to wait until something came to market that was actually better. Last year I picked up a 65" LG OLED65E6P, and yeah, it's better..WOW!

I also picked up the new OPPO 203 which will pass 4K as my ADSM doesn't have the new HDMI board, so basically I use the OPPO like a AV preamp and as the "surround Processor".

Next 2 upgrades for me are the new apple tv which is 4K and streams amazon content and the HDMI board for the ADSM.

Akurate ADSM/1. Akurate Exaktbox 10, 2X 4200, 2200, Akurate 242's. 2nd Akurate Exaktbox 10, 5100, Akurate 225. 5100, 104C's. ExaktBox Sub, Sunfire HRS12. Oppo 203.
Sneaky DSM, KEF LS50
2017-12-10, 05:48
Regarding OLED. At large screen sizes they can't match Samsung QLED & Sony Triluminos both of which use the IQ Corps Quantum Dot technology for colour rendition. Sony had about a 3 year exclusive to use Quantum Dot on their premium sets but that has now expired & Samsung also now uses it.