Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / What is Chunk?

What is Chunk?
2017-09-23, 10:01
What is Chunk?
Anybody have a clue what this means:

I bought the latest Van Morrison album on vinyl. With it came a free download. Surprisingly enough, this wasn't MP3 but WAV. So I used dbPoweramp batch converter to convert to FLAC.

On Track 14 (Mean Old World) it fails with an error that says "Chunk is out of file". All other tracks are ok. I tried downloading again, but with the same result. Sad

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-23, 10:12
RE: What is Chunk?
Sounds like the WAV is corrupt somehow - it thinks the next chuck of data is outside the file, so could either be the chunk pointer, or the file size is wrong. Does it play as WAV?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-23, 11:53
Very simplistically & IIRC, WAV files are in chunks. First chunk defines format: how many channels, sample rate & so on. Next chunk is to do with seldom used compression. Third chunk has cue points, so you can jump around in the music. Then comes a playlist chunk which works with the cues to let you play or repeat specific passages of your music (WAV files can hold multiple tracks). Then there is a chunk for text associated with cues. Lastly you get the data chunk with PCM music: this has a header which contains stuff about its size. Perhaps there's a mismatch between this size parameter & actual size or a cue beyond the end of the file (not sure TBH).

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-09-23, 11:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-23 11:58 by grimreaper46.)
(2017-09-23 11:53)Wat Wrote:  Very simplistically & IIRC, WAV files are in chunks. First chunk defines format: how many channels, sample rate & so on. Next chunk is to do with seldom used compression. Third chunk has cue points, so you can jump around in the music. Then comes a playlist chunk which works with the cues to let you play or repeat specific passages of your music (WAV files can hold multiple tracks). Then there is a chunk for text associated with cues. Lastly you get the data chunk with PCM music: this has a header which contains stuff about its size. Perhaps there's a mismatch between this size parameter & actual size or a cue beyond the end of the file (not sure TBH).

Thanks. So the error is saying the WAV file is corrupt? Unless the provider can supply me with an uncorrupt file I can't convert to FLAC. So I will delete it from the album tracks and just live with the other 13. Besides which it will almost always get played on the Vinyl (thankfully no Chunks missing Big Grin )

(2017-09-23 10:12)timster Wrote:  Sounds like the WAV is corrupt somehow - it thinks the next chuck of data is outside the file, so could either be the chunk pointer, or the file size is wrong. Does it play as WAV?

Plays as a WAV on my Lap Top, yes.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2017-09-23, 12:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-23 12:19 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-23 11:57)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Thanks. So the error is saying the WAV file is corrupt?

Yup. Or that the file is malformed. A distinction without a difference, you will no doubt think. It's unusual for dBpoweramp file converter to come to grief. You might like to raise the question on the relevant Illustrate forum, to see what Spoon has to say.

Or you could try 'converting' it from WAV to WAV in dBpoweramp, and then retry the FLAC conversion, to see whether that goes any better.

(2017-09-23 11:57)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Unless the provider can supply me with an uncorrupt file I can't convert to FLAC. So I will delete it from the album tracks and just live with the other 13. Besides which it will almost always get played on the Vinyl (thankfully no Chunks missing Big Grin )

You could just leave it as WAV with the rest of the album in FLAC, and see if it plays.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-23, 15:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-23 15:23 by JDEC.)
Grim,

Same problem here. I downloaded it twice in case it was the transmission that was corrupt.

The WAV file is incomplete. It plays but stops mid-music.

I've reported it. So hopefully it'll be rectified.

The last VM release (Keep me singing), actually came with a 24 bit WAV!

KR

J

PS did you notice the files were tagged, so no need to faff around with MP3 tag!!
2017-09-23, 21:39
If it plays as WAV then I'd definitely try WAV to WAV conversion as suggested & if that works then convert the new WAV to FLAC. If that fails try using iTunes to convert WAV to AIFF & then dBPA to convert the AIFF to FLAC. If that fails then burn the track to CD (as an Audio CD) then use dBPA to rip it to FLAC.

I hope one of these works for you.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s