Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / US source for good sounding ethernet cables?

US source for good sounding ethernet cables?
2017-09-23, 20:54
US source for good sounding ethernet cables?
Has anyone found a good source for relatively inexpensive but good sounding CAT6 or 7 cables in the US?
Thanks

Klimax DS/1, Klimax Twin, Akkurate 212s, Sizmik, Sneaky DS & Tukans (bedroom), Sneaky DS & AVI Neutrons (office)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-23, 21:50
RE: US source for good sounding ethernet cables?
Any Cat 5e or better cable should be fine. Blue Jeans cables (Please Click) are very good, but are not the cheapest at about $12 (for 6ft) depending on length.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-09-23, 22:14
This is a Linn forum, we all think that they have some nice engineering skills.
Well, according to those engineers any Cat 5e cable should do the trick.

I use some cheap Cat 5e patch cable and my system seems to sound nice enough, so I guess the people who brought us the DSs know what they're talking about.
Who'd thought. Smile

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-23, 22:44
My advice is to listen to the music rather than the cables.

Home: Akurate DSM, Ikemi, Oppo BDP-95, LK140 x 3, Aktiv Keilidh x 2, Paradigm Servo-15, Pioneer PDP-LX6090.
Somewhere in Southern Europe: Sneaky DS, Pioneer BDP-LX70A, Yamaha A-S5000/A, EB Acoustics EB1 x 2 and a telly.
2017-09-24, 08:30
(2017-09-23 22:44)TomBL Wrote:  My advice is to listen to the music rather than the cables.
Exactly why there are such threads. Some confuse sound with music!

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-24, 12:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-24 12:43 by DavidHB.)
All Ethernet cables sound the same. Plugged in and left alone (as they usually are) they make no sound whatever Smile. Whether changing a network cable connected to a hi-fi system makes a difference to the sound of the system will depend in large measure on the particular characteristics and setup of that system. So saying that one cable 'sounds better' than another is misleading at best, and in some cases actively dishonest.

Ethernet cables are typically not screened (they rely in the fact that they are configured as twisted pairs), but I think that it is a sensible precaution, in a hi-fi system where the noise floor needs to be kept as low as possible, to use screened cables wherever they need to be run in close proximity to power cables or a large cluster of other signal leads. Apart from that, any search for the 'best sounding' cables is bound to turn into an expensive wild goose chase.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-24, 14:00
(2017-09-24 12:39)DavidHB Wrote:  All Ethernet cables sound the same. Plugged in and left alone (as they usually are) they make no sound whatever Smile. Whether changing a network cable connected to a hi-fi system makes a difference to the sound of the system will depend in large measure on the particular characteristics and setup of that system. So saying that one cable 'sounds better' than another is misleading at best, and in some cases actively dishonest.

Ethernet cables are typically not screened (they rely in the fact that they are configured as twisted pairs), but I think that it is a sensible precaution, in a hi-fi system where the noise floor needs to be kept as low as possible, to use screened cables wherever they need to be run in close proximity to power cables or a large cluster of other signal leads. Apart from that, any search for the 'best sounding' cables is bound to turn into an expensive wild goose chase.

David

IMHO, shielded cables need to be used with caution - I asked MurrayS about this almost seven years ago and got this reply:

"Shielded Ethernet cables need to be used with care to avoid introducing ground loops. Standard unshielded Ethernet cable is transformer isolated at both ends, so no ground loop can exist. Adding a shield will connect the chassis of the DS to the chassis of the network device it is attached to. This can cause unwanted currents to flow between the two devices and could end up making things worse rather than better.

The best way to use shielded cable is to connect the shield at one end only. This preserves the isolation between the two devices, but still allows any noise picked up by the shield to drain safely away to earth. I don't know if it's possible to buy a shielded Ethernet cable that is wired in this way.

Shielded Ethernet cable is normally only used in very harsh industrial environments where there are high levels of electromagnetic interference. They are not normally necessary in a typical domestic situation. At Linn we use unshielded cable for all our testing and listening
."

'troll
2017-09-24, 19:44
(2017-09-24 14:00)moomintroll Wrote:  IMHO, shielded cables need to be used with caution - I asked MurrayS about this almost seven years ago ...

I'm not sure why Murray should think (if he does) that shielding on Ethernet cables creates any more risk of earth loops than shielding on other signal cables. It is actually quite easy to ensure that a cable is only earthed at one end: use coupled shorter cables, one shielded and one not shielded, in the pace of one longer one, with the shielded cable at the DS/DSM end.

As I said previously, you would only do this kind of thing where the circumstances require it. but anyone who has seen the mangrove forest of cabling required for an Exaktbox 10 based system will realise that more than just careful cable positioning is needed to keep noise and interference to a minimum.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-28, 14:47
In my system, unshielded interconnect cables consistently sound more musical and open than shielded versions of the same cables. The improvement is significant. I've never tried shielded Ethernet cables, though.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords