Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 21:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.

Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.
2017-10-02, 22:43
RE: Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.
I know that well David, been in the hifi hobby for God know how many years and have tried so many things out with a group of friends. Many things do work well for many systems but you are so right not in all or in ways that everyone like. I did use a cd player demagnetiser that for me kept my cd player at its best but a friend felt it made his system too edgy and had to wait a week or two for it to return to normal, well that is how he described it. I think he put it on repeat during the day when he was out or low for background stuff and played only vynal in the evening. The one thing the disc does is change a sound but whether you like what it does is another thing. I should add that I agreed with him in that it made his already 'bright' sound even brighter and aggressive.

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II cables.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-03, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 09:51 by Wat.)
(2017-10-02 19:23)Music at Home Wrote:  Galvanic isolation just means there is no direct metal-to-metal conductive path. If something is galvanically isolated, it will block DC and low frequency currents but high frequency signals can still radiate and be coupled from one device to another. For example, a battery powered radio can still pick up interference from noisy devices even though it is galvanically isolated from them.

Thanks ... so if it’s necessary to block high frequency signals then something else is needed.
Perhaps as a Linn DS plays from its buffer then it may be the case that this is unnecessary because noise suppresion is inherent in DS design.

(2017-10-02 16:39)DavidHB Wrote:  I fear that some people are taken in my the (mostly meaningless) marketing hype associated with some of these products, and have a vague feeling that what is true of analogue signal cables must be true of digital cables also. As my signature indicates, I am prepared to pay for good quality analogue cables from Linn. Where digital leads are concerned, I like to use something that is decently constructed, but I see no reason to pay the silly money that is charged for some products

Totally agree.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-10-03, 14:58
(2017-10-03 09:44)Wat Wrote:  noise suppresion is inherent in DS design.

I think it is helpful to realize that there is no such thing as perfect noise suppression, only noise attenuation. Linn do their best to reduce intruding electrical noise and minimize the amount they create, and maybe do a better job than most other people, but to imagine they do a perfect job is to attribute to them supernatural powers.

It's valid to ask how tiny this noise needs to be before we don't notice it. But my conclusion is we haven't got there yet. Not least because successive generations of DS players keep removing noise we didn't realize was still there - we just notice the sound keeps getting cleaner.

Mark

Klimax Renew DS/1, Avondale Grad1/TPX2, Sanders Magtech, Kingsound King
2017-10-03, 16:18
(2017-10-03 14:58)mark_gb Wrote:  

I think it is helpful to realize that there is no such thing as perfect noise suppression, only noise attenuation. Linn do their best to reduce intruding electrical noise and minimize the amount they create, and maybe do a better job than most other people, but to imagine they do a perfect job is to attribute to them supernatural powers.

It's valid to ask how tiny this noise needs to be before we don't notice it. But my conclusion is we haven't got there yet. Not least because successive generations of DS players keep removing noise we didn't realize was still there - we just notice the sound keeps getting cleaner.

Mark

Similarly, on many forums, you'll find those who say that a Raspberry Pi and its associated DAC board are all you'll ever need for streaming digital information because its all perfect. Everything else is in the imagination of course...

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-03, 18:09
(2017-10-03 14:58)mark_gb Wrote:  I think it is helpful to realize that there is no such thing as perfect noise suppression, only noise attenuation ... It's valid to ask how tiny this noise needs to be before we don't notice it. But my conclusion is we haven't got there yet. Not least because successive generations of DS players keep removing noise we didn't realise was still there - we just notice the sound keeps getting cleaner.

Absolutely agree.

It is also worth pointing out that some of this progressive improvement (much of which is the result of lowering the noise floor, though there are other issues, such as jitter) happens in the digital domain, even when (obviously) the results only become apparent in the analogue domain. I could not have believed the improvement that could be made by replacing an ADSM (functioning essentially as an AEDSM) with a KEDSM in an otherwise all Akurate Exakt system, until I tried it. No changes of cable were involved in making this determination. Smile

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-03, 23:37
(2017-10-03 14:58)mark_gb Wrote:  

Mark

Agreed

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s