Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Found a new setting in my MDSM (to me)

Found a new setting in my MDSM (to me)
2017-10-07, 21:39
Found a new setting in my MDSM (to me)
Im sure those who have brought their kit new, and so have had dealer setups done, all you functions were unstop from the off.

I've had my 1st version Majik DSM (really a DSi), for about 6mths now. i have to say its been such a great journey. been so impressed with how it works for Sportify, LP12, and NAS - never been glitch (and i have to use a power line socket to get there ethernet in the right place).

it sounds great too. not had much success with Space if i am honest. In fact my 109's sound stronger with Space deactivated tbh (speakers in bookshelves thou).

Today i was fiddling around in the software, and found my Phono input wasn't switched to analogue direct. Made the change - wow!, has made a real difference to how my LP12. Moved it up a gear, sounds even better now. Wondering if there are any other neat setup tricks I've been missing - i know i need to read up more on Space and see if i can avoid loosing the weight when applied (obviously that will only work for Other sources, now LP12 id analogue direct).

the other thing - I've been impressed about how Linn support the product for so long, instead of bring a new model and none of the software is applicable to the older models (given mine is none HDMI etc).
hope this continues :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-08, 00:18
RE: Found a new setting in my MDSM (to me)
Hi Coolie,

Please take a look at my thread, “Musicality in Montana”

Try to create 2 new Space optimization profiles.

One of them will be the frequencies, gains and bandwidth of Stacia’s 109’s, the other profile will be Dennis’s 109 values.

This may be a good place to start on your journey on Space optimization for your 109’s. Smile

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-10-08, 11:13
(2017-10-08 00:18)Paulssurround Wrote:  Hi Coolie,

One of them will be the frequencies, gains and bandwidth of Stacia’s 109’s, the other profile will be Dennis’s 109 values.

This may be a good place to start on your journey on Space optimization for your 109’s. Smile

Thanks Paul, i will have a read through. I'm not sure i know where to start properly on this Space work, so perhaps i need to do some more basis reading up - are there other posts describing the process from the beginning (if that doesn't seem too dim!) Ta
2017-10-08, 18:24
(2017-10-08 11:13)Coolie Wrote:  

Thanks Paul, i will have a read through. I'm not sure i know where to start properly on this Space work, so perhaps i need to do some more basis reading up - are there other posts describing the process from the beginning (if that doesn't seem too dim!) Ta

Perhaps try following the suggestions in this thread:

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=36884

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-10-08, 20:33

But SPACE is much more aboit the room than the speaker Paul. Do you mean these tweaks should be applied after doing the regular room measuring and the default optimisation?

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-09, 06:05
(2017-10-08 20:33)sunbeamgls Wrote:  

But SPACE is much more aboit the room than the speaker Paul. Do you mean these tweaks should be applied after doing the regular room measuring and the default optimisation?

Yes, I am well aware of that.

I am suggesting that Stacia’s and Dennis’s values may be a starting guide for Coolie’s 109’s.

Perhaps Coolie could measure his room, enter the values into Konfig and compare the calculated room modes with Stacia’s and Dennis’s, then apply changes, similar to what I had done?

It is worth a try.

Exakt Surround 5.0: