Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Kazoo Shuffle

Kazoo Shuffle
2017-10-10, 14:08
Kazoo Shuffle
Having just bought a Magik DSM and NAS drive I was excited to get the system up and running. Having done that, I'm amazed at the playback sound, it's fantastic!
However, I'm a little disappointed with the Kazoo software, particularly the shuffle mode. I have 10,000+ songs in my library and the only way I can shuffle (some of) them, is to put them into a playlist!
The limit to a playlist (as far as i can make out) is 1000 songs, now I know that is a fair amount, but I want to be able to listen to ALL my library on shuffle without having to make a playlist.
Anyone any ideas on how to solve this problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-10, 14:31
RE: Kazoo Shuffle
Unfortunately it's a feature of the OpenHome protocol Linn uses that means the DS has 'control' of the playlist, and therefore has to store it. And 1000 is the limit. If you really want to do what you say, the only way would be by using Asset's randomising feature rather than shuffle the playlist. It will always be limited to 1000 tracks, but at least each time you select them it will be a random selection.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-10, 14:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-10 14:48 by DavidHB.)
(2017-10-10 14:08)IVG54 Wrote:  I want to be able to listen to ALL my library on shuffle without having to make a playlist ... Anyone any ideas on how to solve this problem?

The short answer is that you can't. This is because the limit of 1000 tracks in a playlist is not a software restriction, it's a 'feature' of the player. With the OpenHome streaming protocol used by Linn players, the master playlist is held in your DSM rather than in the control point. This has other advantages, but clearly there has to be some sort of limit on the number of tracks in the playlist, and that limit is 1000.

You can save playlists in Kazoo, but that is limiting if (as many of us do) you use more than one control point on several different devices. If you use the MinimServer software, you can compile playlists in the standard .m3u format (up to the 1000 track limit) and store them in your music library; MinimServer will index them along with the music, so that they are readily accessible in any control point you are using. The .m3u files are standard text files in a particular format, mainly containing folder/file paths to the individual music files. They are a pain to compile manually, but Windows users can install a little utility called Playlist Creator, which does the job with drag and drop. I can provide more details if this option interests you.

(2017-10-10 14:31)timster Wrote:  the only way would be by using Asset's randomising feature rather than shuffle the playlist. It will always be limited to 1000 tracks, but at least each time you select them it will be a random selection.

I didn't know that Asset had this feature, so that would be a good solution if IVG54 is using Asset, which we don't know.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-10, 15:28
(2017-10-10 14:43)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 14:08)IVG54 Wrote:  I want to be able to listen to ALL my library on shuffle without having to make a playlist ... Anyone any ideas on how to solve this problem?

(2017-10-10 14:31)timster Wrote:  the only way would be by using Asset's randomising feature rather than shuffle the playlist. It will always be limited to 1000 tracks, but at least each time you select them it will be a random selection.

I didn't know that Asset had this feature, so that would be a good solution if IVG54 is using Asset, which we don't know.

David

It is the one thing I miss in Minim. It actually allows for 1600 tracks in a "dynamic playlist" which appears on the control point under Playlists as "Jukebox Album Selection" and "Jukebox Track Selection" (confusingly for us who know the old Kinsky Jukebox!). The number of albums it selects is the number of tracks you have chosen, divided by 10.

It's only available on the Premium (paid-for) version of Asset though, and Asset isn't available for Synology either. So I have a copy of my library on my PC, primarily so I can use the random track feature, and as I had a legacy paid-for copy of Asset I am going to use it (not unlike the fuzzbox!)
Sometimes (quite often actually) a track makes me think - "I haven't heard that album in ages", so I then select it on my NAS via Minim to play later.

Anyway - long explanation, off topic (sort of). Simon Nash is looking into doing something similar, or better BTW.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-10, 15:31
Thanks for the quick answer guys, it looks like I'm limited to 1000 tracks!

As I said previously, I'm new to the Magik/Kazoo system, up until you mentioned it, I was unaware of Asset. I've got a little swotting up to do!!

So, shuffling my library? I'll just have to make a playlist and change it now and again!

I'm an Apple user by the way, so no Windows software.

Thanks again.
2017-10-10, 16:02
(2017-10-10 15:31)IVG54 Wrote:  Thanks for the quick answer guys, it looks like I'm limited to 1000 tracks!

As I said previously, I'm new to the Magik/Kazoo system, up until you mentioned it, I was unaware of Asset. I've got a little swotting up to do!!

So, shuffling my library? I'll just have to make a playlist and change it now and again!

I'm an Apple user by the way, so no Windows software.

Thanks again.

Asset is a paid-for (£20) music server, available for Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Mac OS and QNAP (and some ARM based Synology). It will be a better solution than creating your own playlists.
http://dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-10, 16:14
(2017-10-10 15:28)timster Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 14:43)DavidHB Wrote:  

David

It is the one thing I miss in Minim. It actually allows for 1600 tracks in a "dynamic playlist" which appears on the control point under Playlists as "Jukebox Album Selection" and "Jukebox Track Selection" (confusingly for us who know the old Kinsky Jukebox!). The number of albums it selects is the number of tracks you have chosen, divided by 10.

It's only available on the Premium (paid-for) version of Asset though, and Asset isn't available for Synology either. So I have a copy of my library on my PC, primarily so I can use the random track feature, and as I had a legacy paid-for copy of Asset I am going to use it (not unlike the fuzzbox!)
Sometimes (quite often actually) a track makes me think - "I haven't heard that album in ages", so I then select it on my NAS via Minim to play later.

Anyway - long explanation, off topic (sort of). Simon Nash is looking into doing something similar, or better BTW.

It was the feature I used most on Asset and probably the only feature I would desperately want within Minimserver. I have exchanged many an email and forum post with Simon re this. There still hasn't been any firm commitment but he has thought through solutions I believe. I have several friends that have reverted to Asset just for this feature. I have been tempted but for now still holding out for Minimserver for now. If I was PC based only I would probably use Asset.
2017-10-10, 16:45
Sorry for slightly hijacking the OP, but..
I don't know your music library setup Martin, but I assume as you don't use Asset at all but wish you could you have a Synology?
You could in the meantime do what I do, or - if you have your NAS music library as network drive on your PC - run Asset on there using the NAS library as the source. I was thinking of doing exactly that, but the thought of my PC network card reading from the NAS and sending out to the DSM all at once through the same ethernet cable made me think twice. In theory though it shouldn't be a problem if your PC is relatively well-spec'd.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-15, 20:41
I use Kinsky and have never used Kazoo but I know on Kinsky that you can shuffle all tracks, although that said, I have recently posted in the troubleshooting page that I am having trouble with this causing the system to crash, but that's not to say it won't work properly on your system as mine worked fine until recently.
Not sure if this is any help to you as I don't really know the difference between kazoo and kinsky, I've just stuck with what I know, and until recently listened to all my music via shuffle. You need to select all albums and then select shuffle tracks. Personally I love not knowing what's coming up next.
Since my crashing issues as mentioned above I simply drag a bunch of albums into the playlist and then select the random button at the bottom of the playlist....
No sure if any of this will help you though........

p.s I used the paid version of Asset UPnP

Main: Klimax Renew DS, 2250/D, My Audio Design 1920 speakers
2nd: Classik Music, AVI Pro-nine speakers
2017-10-16, 19:46 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-16 19:47 by fortune.)
Such a shame Linn are wedded to OpenHome - it's poo!

I put up with the lousy interface because the Linn sound is so fabulous but my neighbours Sonos system puts Kazoo/Asset/Twonky totally to shame from a control point of view: instant connection, highly responsive, no delays in uploading libraries or artwork.

Either the folks at OpenHome need to get on and release a decent version II update that sorts this out or otherwise Linn should jump ship to a similar control architecture to Sonos and match the performance of the control to that of the audio reproduction....

Regards

Peter-Marc

KDS4/350A; ADSE/AkurateExaktbox 6/6100/109 + ExaktboxSub/T/9i(x2); MDSM2/109; Sekrit(x5)/109; Sneaky
MacMini: MinimServer/Kazoo
TS-419P+:MinimServer/Assett