Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Klimax Exakt DSM Katalyst

Klimax Exakt DSM Katalyst
2017-10-12, 13:44
Klimax Exakt DSM Katalyst
Does anybody know if there will be a new version of Klimax Exakt DSM leveraging Katalyst DAC Architecture? Seem s to me that now it is available only for Klimax DSM and Klimax DS. Would be a great news to Akudorik and Akubarik customers that in this moment could have the Katalyst upgrade only for the speakers....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Akudorik System (Akurate Exakt DSM and Akudorik Speakers Katalyst)\Linn Sondek LP12 (Valhalla power supply, RB220 Tonearm, Goldring 2100 Cartridge)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-12, 13:54
RE: Klimax Exakt DSM Katalyst
Ummm - the Exakt-only DSM has no DAC. You are referring to the DAC in the Akudorik and Akubarik integrated speakers, which is now Katalyst new, and can be upgraded.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-12, 14:25
Ah..ok... you are for sure right... can you help in understanding how the "analogue in" flows to Akudorik (for example)? https://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems/kli...sic-player If I connect an LP12 with a phono stage (suppose Uphorik) to Klimax Exakt DSM how the signal flows to on the Ethernet cable? My understanding was a conversion Analogue to digital...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Akudorik System (Akurate Exakt DSM and Akudorik Speakers Katalyst)\Linn Sondek LP12 (Valhalla power supply, RB220 Tonearm, Goldring 2100 Cartridge)
2017-10-12, 14:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-12 15:19 by timster.)
Yes, [EDIT: not DS's as they have no inputs], all DSMs have an analogue to digitial converter (ADC, or A2D). This then gets processed in the digital domain, and in an Exakt set up gets sent down the Ethernet cable to the speakers or Xxaktbox.
Katalyst is a DAC - ie. it only applies going from the digital signal back to analogue, the last step before amplification, done either in the integrated 350 or Aku-speakers, or an Exaktbox.

EDIT: There has been a little bit of discussion as to whether Linn will apply a similar architecture as Katalyst DACs to the ADCs they use. Consensus seems to be that they are pretty good already, and the DAC process needs special attention in comparison. So perhaps if there would be any benefit it may not be worth the expense. But you never know.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-12, 15:33
General question, the Katalyst architecture includes a master clock upgrade (lower jitter). Does this just impact the DAC performance or would it also improve the Exaktlink output? Anyone compared?

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-10-12, 16:38
Katalyst is DAC only. Nothing to do with the Exakt bits. (Pun intended)Sad

‘troll
2017-10-12, 16:52
Thanks timster crystal clear!!! I was supposing wrongly that Katalyst was both AD and DA converter.

2017-10-12, 18:57
(2017-10-12 16:38)moomintroll Wrote:  Katalyst is DAC only. Nothing to do with the Exakt bits. (Pun intended)Sad

‘troll

But there is a clock in an EDSM - its the master for the system, I think.

So if Katalyst brings a better clock to the DAC, I think the question being asked is "should there be a better clock for EDSMs too".

Perhaps they already had the better clock? Smile

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-13, 11:53 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-13 14:10 by Music at Home.)
(2017-10-12 18:57)sunbeamgls Wrote:  
(2017-10-12 16:38)moomintroll Wrote:  Katalyst is DAC only. Nothing to do with the Exakt bits. (Pun intended)Sad

‘troll

But there is a clock in an EDSM - its the master for the system, I think.

So if Katalyst brings a better clock to the DAC, I think the question being asked is "should there be a better clock for EDSMs too".

Perhaps they already had the better clock? Smile

That's right, an Exakt DSM must have a clock in order to determine the timing frequency of the Exaktlink output. What I'm curious about is if this Exakt clock is derived from the same "Master Clock" (improved as part of the suite of Katalyst changes) used to clock data to the DAC or completely different and independent and unchanged as a result of Katalyst.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's