Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Upgrade advice please

Upgrade advice please
2017-10-17, 17:01
Upgrade advice please
Hi Folks. At the moment I have an AkurateDS/0 straight into a 2250. This setup has no pre-amp. I am planning on remodelling my lounge which would allow me to put my TV between my speakers. I therefore need a pre-amp to take the sound from my TV. I don’t particularly want to add another box, so have ruled out an Akurate kontrol. A new AkurateDSM is a bit over my budget. I am considering a MajikDSM and selling on the AkurateDS and 2250. Bearing in mind the age difference between my existing boxes and a new MajikDSM, I would hope that I wouldn’t be taking a step back. I like the idea of a one box unit as it would do away with interconects and free up some shelf space. I would not expect to lose much in the way of detail as I did not find a lot of difference when I upgraded from a SneakyDS to the Akurate. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bill.

ADSM2 | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-17, 17:13
RE: Upgrade advice please
(2017-10-17 17:01)billzab Wrote:  Hi Folks. At the moment I have an AkurateDS/0 straight into a 2250. This setup has no pre-amp. I am planning on remodelling my lounge which would allow me to put my TV between my speakers. I therefore need a pre-amp to take the sound from my TV. I don’t particularly want to add another box, so have ruled out an Akurate kontrol. A new AkurateDSM is a bit over my budget. I am considering a MajikDSM and selling on the AkurateDS and 2250. Bearing in mind the age difference between my existing boxes and a new MajikDSM, I would hope that I wouldn’t be taking a step back. I like the idea of a one box unit as it would do away with interconects and free up some shelf space. I would not expect to lose much in the way of detail as I did not find a lot of difference when I upgraded from a SneakyDS to the Akurate. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bill.

As good as the current Majik DSM is, I'm not sure I would be happy with that substituting an Akurate DS and 2250. Have you considered a second-hand current ADSM or upgrading the ADS to the current ADSM (€ 4.050,-)?

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM1/Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Kudos /2 x C6100-D/Akubarik (externally active).
2017-10-17, 19:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-17 19:35 by mrco99.)
Hi Bill,

If it's ADS0 without Dynamik then the latest MDSM2 with Exakt ports may turn out to be an improvement since you will be adding a preamp stage too - personally I am not that keen on digital volume control, especially on the early DS series.

But perhaps you should consider to keep the 2250 for powering the Keilidhs; it will keep the total box count the same but relieves the poweramp part of the MDSM of driving your speakers.

If you can test the MDSM in your system, your ears should be able to tell you straight away what will be the way forward.

Happy to hear the outcome of your anticipated upgrade.

Marco

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-17, 20:01
You know about the upgrade deal right?
You can get your ADS upgraded to the latest version and even have it converted to an ADSM.
Not to sure about the price but I think it's similar to buying a majik ds/dsm give or take.

Akurate DS/0D, Marantz PM 7001, Majik 109s, BK XLS200FF
2017-10-17, 21:15
(2017-10-17 20:01)Linnjim Wrote:  You know about the upgrade deal right?
You can get your ADS upgraded to the latest version and even have it converted to an ADSM.
Not to sure about the price but I think it's similar to buying a majik ds/dsm give or take.

Interesting. I did not realise this was an option. I have checked out the Linn web site and see that you also get a Renew with it. There is no mention of cost or how you go about ordering it. Maybe it has to be done through a dealer. If the cost is OK, this might be the best root for me, although I did like the idea of a one box system.

Thanks, Bill.

QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-10-17, 21:42
A new MDSM2 is now priced €3170 in The Netherlands.
From that you can deduct the s/h sale of your ADS.

The ADS0 to current ADSM upgrade costs €4114, but I am not sure if that also includes the HDMI 2.0 upgrade as that one is separately listed at €726.
In this scenario there's no money back for the ADS.

As to the Renew DS option, this is an extra, costing €3025.
For this you will get your old ADS board back inside a Renew enclosure, lacking a display - so it has to be controlled by an iThing or similair. It does have a Dynamik PSU. But the resale value will be lesser than €3K so in my view not worth the extra expense.

With converting your ADS to ADSM you will have a better streamer and preamp but no poweramp, so required to keep the 2250.

All in all I think for the money involved an MDSM2 may be a better option but it also depends on eventual further upgrade plans after this step - Exakt perhaps one day?

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

www.hexagonaudio.eu
2017-10-17, 22:38
(2017-10-17 21:42)mrco99 Wrote:  A new MDSM2 is now priced €3170 in The Netherlands.
From that you can deduct the s/h sale of your ADS.

The ADS0 to current ADSM upgrade costs €4114, but I am not sure if that also includes the HDMI 2.0 upgrade as that one is separately listed at €726.
In this scenario there's no money back for the ADS.

As to the Renew DS option, this is an extra, costing €3025.
For this you will get your old ADS board back inside a Renew enclosure, lacking a display - so it has to be controlled by an iThing or similair. It does have a Dynamik PSU. But the resale value will be lesser than €3K so in my view not worth the extra expense.

With converting your ADS to ADSM you will have a better streamer and preamp but no poweramp, so required to keep the 2250.

All in all I think for the money involved an MDSM2 may be a better option but it also depends on eventual further upgrade plans after this step - Exakt perhaps one day?

Thanks for this info. The Renew would definitely be out of the equation as I have no use for it. It seems to me that it is not really an upgrade of my existing Akurate, just a purchase of a new ADSM. If it’s a new board and a new case, what has been upgraded? As I said in my OP, a new ADSM is over my budget. It sounds like the MDSM would be the route, but keeping my 2250. The 2250 is not Dynamiked, so this is another upgrade option. I am not sure if I can go active using the amp in the MDSM and the 2250. Lots of food for thought.

Bill.

QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-10-17, 23:04
Normally, I would recommend going for the ADSM upgrade, and that may still be the best option. The fly in the ointment is what is going to happen, in what timescale, with the ADSM and Katalyst. My bet would be that there will be a Katalyst version of the ADSM, with an upgrade option, in the early part of 2018.

That's just my guess, of course. But the uncertainty about new releases is a factor to take into account. It was one of the factors that persuaded me to upgrade from the ADSM to the KEDSM, which, having had the HDMI 2.0 board included, is not IMO going to be upgraded any time soon.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-17, 23:41
(2017-10-17 21:42)mrco99 Wrote:  All in all I think for the money involved an MDSM2 may be a better option but it also depends on eventual further upgrade plans after this step - Exakt perhaps one day?

I tend to disagree. An up to date ADS(M) with a 2250 will significantly outperform an MDSM/2 driving the speakers with its internal amplification. IMHO the ADS/0 upgrade is well worth the money spent.

The further upgrade plans are irrelevant here. If Exakt comes into play, replacing the ADSM by an AEDSM (which sounds slightly better than a ADSM in an Exakt system) would be at least cost neutral, whereas replacing an MDSM by an AEDSM would be most likely not. Besides that keeping the 2250 does provide two valuable channels of amplification needed for any Exakt system not relying on the MEB-I. And even an MEB-I Exakt system will benefit from the two channels of external amplification a 2250 can provide.

@Bill
You’ll find the upgrade cost in the current Linn price list here.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-10-18, 06:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-18 15:05 by mrco99.)
Let me elaborate, using BB1s UK pricelist.

System is now ADS0 (resale value £1K) and 2250 (resale value £600).

Change to MDSM2 alone (£3K) will be a net cost of £1.4K
Keep the 2250 for separate amplification and it will be £2K. I think MDSM2+2250 will be at least on par but possibly better than ADS0+2250. It allows to integrate the TV into the system plus opens up the Exakt upgrade option.

Upgrade the ADS to ADSM1 is £3.4K. Keeping the 2250 is necessary. I agree this is a better system than MDSM2+2250, costing £1.4K more. If you are likely to stick to this for quite some time then it may be the best option.

With the further upgrade to Exakt, it's the DAC engine inside the Exaktbox that mostly deters the systems playback performance. Add a Majik-I Exaktbox at £4K and the performance between MDSM2+M-EB and ADSM1+M-EB will not be that big, but the expense is.

Put the £1.4K savings onto the Majik-I Exaktbox + selling the 2250 and you then have an Exakt system for another £2K extra compared to the ADSM1 system. There the extra outlay will be £3.4 (£4K minus £600 for the 2250).

Going for an Exakt system later on with your Keilidhs will be much, much better than the ADSM1+2250 but again, at a higher cost.

There's a slight shortcut in going for the (Exakt-only) AEDSM at £2.7K but this requires to buy the M-EB at the same time, so £6.7K in total. This would leave you with a net expense of £5.1K when trading in or selling on your old equipment. As this is only about £250 cheaper than the MDSM2 option I would only advise this if you are convinced of going straight for an Exakt system. Otherwise, the £250 extra for the MDSM2 plus the ability of upgrading in stages may be more comfortable.

I have not taken separate Exaktbox and amplification into account as then you will not be able to stick to your desired 2-box setup.

PS. Do inquire at a Linn dealer whether the ADS0 conversion to ADSM1 includes the 2.0 HDMI board. If your TV requires this and it's not included, it will be £600 extra. And with the upgrade conversion, you will possibly get the ADSM1 back in your existing ADS0 enclosure? It won't matter for performance but may cripple resale value when eventually selling it on again.

PPS. To clarify: with ADSM1 (ADSM2?) and MDSM2 (MDSM3?) I mean the very latest, current versions as mentioned in the pricelist - not earlier ones

www.hexagonaudio.eu