Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Upgrade advice please

Upgrade advice please
2017-10-18, 07:17
RE: Upgrade advice please
Mrco explained it nicely, so I'll just stick to my opinions:
new MDSM beats ADS0, especially when it doesn't have an Dynamik powersupply.
I upgraded my ADS0/D to an ADSM/1, great value for money as you get a completely new device, only the old serial number remains.
The combination of ADSM and 2250, especially when the 2250 has a Dynamik powersupply, will easily outperform the MDSM, so the price difference is justified, although it is up to you to decide if it is affordable.
The renew option for Akurate isn't really worth it.

If you enjoy the sound signature of the 2250, you might not like the MDSMs amp. Give it a listen first.
I wasn't that impressed with Aktive Majik amplification after coming from a passive AV5125/D.
Sure the MDSM had more detail, but it was a lot harsher as well, and in my room that was not what I needed most. I have upgraded to Akurate amps and SPACE has taken away of most roomproblems as well, so all is good now, but really, do give the MDSM a listen before you jump. You may love the difference and you may hate it. It all depends on you, your room and your speakers.

Have you considered buying a secondhand ADSM (/1 or /2)?
That could be an affordable upgrade path.
If your 2250 stays, and doesn't have a Dynamik powersupply, consider that too. You have no idea how big that change is.

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-18, 08:25
So many options, and it's really all about budget. If it's tight I think keeping the 2250 would open up better options for the DS to DSM upgrade. Exhanging that amp for the built-in one in the MDSM would be a retrograde step IMO.
Incidentally I imagine the upgrade from ADS/0 to ADSM would include the HDMI 2.0 board. I can't see a Linn upgrade to incorporate old versions of anything.
So my tuppence - either go the upgrade path from ADS to ADSM (the Akurate renew is not worth it if you don't want a 2nd system), or try and source a 2nd hand ADSM/1 or /2 and sell on the ADS. Former will get you a new 5 year warranty btw.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-18, 08:53 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-18 08:55 by Music at Home.)
Upgrading an Akurate DS to an Akurate DSM is sure to include the HDMI board. HDMI in/out is part and parcel of what an Akurate DSM is, and they wouldn't give you an old board, you'll get what's current.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-10-18, 08:56
(2017-10-18 08:53)Music at Home Wrote:  Upgrading an Akurate DS to an Akurate DSM is sure to include the HDMI board. HDMI in/out is part and parcel of what an Akurate DSM is.

Yes, but I think the original question was HDMI 1.3 or 2.0. Seeing as there's a cost to do that on its own, it was unclear if that was included in the standard ADS to ADSM upgrade. But like I said I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-18, 11:01
Slightly unrelated, I was thinking of getting the HDMI board in my Akurate DSM updated to the latest 2.0 version, but the cost would be £600, so I've put it off for now. However, I'm pretty confident that if/when an Akurate Katalyst DSM upgrade is offered, opting to go for that will include a new HDMI 2.0 board "for free", saving £600 compared to doing the HDMI board separately and making the Katalyst upgrade a bit more palatable.

When I say confident, confidence level = 90% Wink

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-10-18, 11:22
(2017-10-18 11:01)Music at Home Wrote:  Slightly unrelated, I was thinking of getting the HDMI board in my Akurate DSM updated to the latest 2.0 version, but the cost would be £600, so I've put it off for now. However, I'm pretty confident that if/when an Akurate Katalyst DSM upgrade is offered, opting to go for that will include a new HDMI 2.0 board "for free", saving £600 compared to doing the HDMI board separately and making the Katalyst upgrade a bit more palatable.

When I say confident, confidence level = 90% Wink
Make that 100%. Linn is very strict in things and 'latest specifications' are just that.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-18, 12:53
Wow. Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially Mrco with his concise list of options and prices. I should mention that I am the wrong side of 60 by a couple of years and this will probably be my last, decent size, upgrade. I will probably avoid going down the exact route and look to getting my 2250 dynamiked along with an ADSM. Hopefully a new one if I can stretch my budget a bit or failing that a second hand one. I would want he HDMI 2.0 so i have the latest connection for my TV. My current AkurateDS/0 does have Dynamik power supply so maybe I can get a bit more for it.

Really grateful for everyone's input, it's all very helpful.

Bill.

ADSM2 | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-10-18, 13:08
(2017-10-18 12:53)billzab Wrote:  Wow. Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially Mrco with his concise list of options and prices. I should mention that I am the wrong side of 60 by a couple of years and this will probably be my last, decent size, upgrade. I will probably avoid going down the exact route and look to getting my 2250 dynamiked along with an ADSM. Hopefully a new one if I can stretch my budget a bit or failing that a second hand one. I would want he HDMI 2.0 so i have the latest connection for my TV. My current AkurateDS/0 does have Dynamik power supply so maybe I can get a bit more for it.

Bill.

Just be aware the HDMI 2.0 board only came out last September, only a year ago so chances of a 2nd hand one are pretty slim. They would be named ADSM/2 if they do exist.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-18, 14:59
(2017-10-18 13:08)timster Wrote:  Just be aware the HDMI 2.0 board only came out last September, only a year ago so chances of a 2nd hand one are pretty slim. They would be named ADSM/2 if they do exist.

All the more reason for going down the upgrade route. You'd have to do it through a dealer, but that gives you the opportunity to do a deal with installation, so some help in tuning the Space Optimisation.

If future-proofing (i.e. Katalyst) is not a major issue, and you'd like to get things moving sooner rather than later, I'd say go for it. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the degree of sound quality improvement from ADS/0 to ADSM/1 or /2.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-18, 17:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-18 17:54 by mrco99.)
(2017-10-18 12:53)billzab Wrote:  I should mention that I am the wrong side of 60 by a couple of years and this will probably be my last, decent size, upgrade. I will probably avoid going down the exact route and look to getting my 2250 dynamiked along with an ADSM. Hopefully a new one if I can stretch my budget a bit or failing that a second hand one. I would want he HDMI 2.0 so i have the latest connection for my TV. My current AkurateDS/0 does have Dynamik power supply so maybe I can get a bit more for it.

Bill.

All Majik and Akurate DSMs produced by Linn as from the end of September 2016 have been factory equipped with the new HDMI 2.0 board.
You can check this from serialno. by sending an inquiry to the linn helpline.

With your ADS0 Dynamiked you may get about £1250 for it.

If it's your last step, do consider to take your Keilidhs active, it will make a significant difference. You can do so by acquiring an MDSM+2250 then you have the necessary channels. Or get an ADSM1 but then you need to exchange your 2250 to a 5125, 4100 or 4200 power amp in order to stick to a two-box setup with active Keilidhs.

Power amp options:
4200/D is among the best and most expensive, with s/h prices starting from £2K and upwards.
2250/D is comparable and for you only £600 given that you only need the dynamik upgrade - but it would require another one to go active with an ADSM. With an MDSM you have a stereo power amp inside that unit so have the required channels to go active as well.
5125.. without Dynamik imo not very special but a different beast when Dynamiked. You could easily exchange your 2250 to a 5125 with no money involved and then Dynamik the 5125 for the very same £600.
4100/D is about £1.2K s/h. Still good but the least of these options. Different sounding but 'perhaps' on a comparable level as 2250 with Dynamik.. (Oh dear, shouldn't have said that... Big Grin let the discussion begin)

You will also be needing actve cards for Keilidhs and these differ upon the amp they're being put in. When buying at a dealer he can help you - also with installing and converting your Keilidhs to active.

Linn gives you a free set of active cards for your speakers when you order a new power amplifier from their current range but perhaps you can arrange a similair deal with your dealer when buying a new MDSM (and Dynamiking your 2250). Do tell him you have a 2250 as you'll require an active adapter card for that type of amp.

With opting for an ADSM(1) you may well buy s/h but factor in the 2.0 HDMI upgrade board as an extra outlay - lots of s/h units on offer likely won't have it.
Exakt ports won't be a necessity as you won't use them but those that have (same counts for MDSM2) also have the best streamer onboard.

An older, only analogue ADSM costs about £2-2.5K. Add the 2.0 HDMI board and you're well on your way towards £3K.
I doubt if it is better than the newest MDSM with 5y warranty, also at £3K.

So let's suggest these systems to explore your options and give you something to ponder on;

MDSM2 new with HDMI 2.0 at £3K
Passive: 2250 with Dynamik at £600
Active: exchange 2250 to 5125 with Dynamik at £600
(Free active cards for Keilidhs?)
Trade-in ADS0/D £1.0-£1.2K
Net cost £2.4-£2.6K

Upgrade ADS0/D to ADSM2 (with HDMI 2.0?) at £3.4K
(Free active cards for Keilidhs?)
No trade-in
Net cost £4K

Buy s/h ADSM (analogue only) for £2.3K
2.0 HDMI upgrade board £600
(Active cards for Keilidhs £400)
Trade-in ADS0/D £1.0-£1.2K
Net cost £2.5-£3.1K

I am almost certain more suggestions and discussions are going to follow Big Grin

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu