Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Upgrade advice please

Upgrade advice please
2017-10-23, 23:04
RE: Upgrade advice please
(2017-10-23 22:48)BB1 Wrote:  Via Konfig you can attenuate the ADSM’s output level in such a way, that it suits your 'normal' listening level even at rather high digital volume settings. IIRC, it allows an analog attenuation of -12 dB or -24 dB, which should render the Tisbury useless. Hopefully someone actually owning an ADSM will correct me, if I'm wrong here.

As a (recent) former ADSM owner, I can confirm that my understanding is the same as this. The analogue attenuation is set to -12dB by default. Of course, this applies only to the ADSM's analogue output, and not to the Exakt outputs, for instance.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-23, 23:31
(2017-10-23 23:04)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-10-23 22:48)BB1 Wrote:  Via Konfig you can attenuate the ADSM’s output level in such a way, that it suits your 'normal' listening level even at rather high digital volume settings. IIRC, it allows an analog attenuation of -12 dB or -24 dB, which should render the Tisbury useless. Hopefully someone actually owning an ADSM will correct me, if I'm wrong here.

As a (recent) former ADSM owner, I can confirm that my understanding is the same as this. The analogue attenuation is set to -12dB by default. Of course, this applies only to the ADSM's analogue output, and not to the Exakt outputs, for instance.

David

Thanks, David.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-10-24, 06:06
As BB said, in Konfig you can adjust the output attentuation of your ADSM so you definitely do not need the Tisbury.

You can find the option in the Volume tab.
Change the value to a value which will allow the volume to be at least 50. This way the digital volume control of your ADSM will function best and it shouldn't sound harsh or thin.
Oh, another thing, when you get your ADSM, let it play music at a low volume during the night too for a couple of days, it will need some time to run in.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-24, 12:34
Thanks for putting my mind at rest re using the Tisbury. Once my ADSM arrives, I will not use the Tidsbury again (I will probably sell it as I have no further use for it) and I will play about with the output levels in konfig until I find the one that suits me best.

Bill.

ADSM2 | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-10-31, 22:11
ADSM arrived today. I have connected it up and run Konfig. All sounding good after a brief listen. I am out tonight, but will give it a good listen over the next few days and report back. I have turned off SO for the time being and will start configuring SO in a few weeks following PaulSurround’s posts.

Bill.

QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-11-06, 19:35
It has been over a week since my ADSM arrived and I have gave it a good listen over that time. I am very happy with the upgrade and want to thank everyone who contributed in helping my make the decision to have my AkuratDS/0 upgraded.

The whole system is now more musical. I am hearing lots of subtle sounds in my favourite recordings that I never heard before and they all go to make the overall sound more enjoyable. I am still listening with SO turned off and will give it a go in a few weeks or so. I did try it for a few songs using my old saved configuration, but did not like the sound. I find I lose a lot of bass when I use The SO configuration calculated by Konfig.

So now that the dark nights are here, I will be spending more time listening to music happy in the knowledge that my money has been well spent.

Next move sometime next year is to dynamic my 2250.

Bill.

QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-11-06, 20:11
(2017-11-06 19:35)billzab Wrote:  It has been over a week since my ADSM arrived and I have gave it a good listen over that time. I am very happy with the upgrade and want to thank everyone who contributed in helping my make the decision to have my AkuratDS/0 upgraded.

The whole system is now more musical. I am hearing lots of subtle sounds in my favourite recordings that I never heard before and they all go to make the overall sound more enjoyable. I am still listening with SO turned off and will give it a go in a few weeks or so. I did try it for a few songs using my old saved configuration, but did not like the sound. I find I lose a lot of bass when I use The SO configuration calculated by Konfig.

So now that the dark nights are here, I will be spending more time listening to music happy in the knowledge that my money has been well spent.

Next move sometime next year is to dynamic my 2250.

Bill.

Excellent!

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2017-11-06, 23:42
I'm glad that you are really enjoying the ADSM. It reminds me of the pleasure I had when I first got mine, four years ago. A glance at my signature will tell you that your voyage of discovery is by no means necessarily finished, though I'd entirely agree that putting Dynamik in your 2250 is the sensible next step.

As regards this point:
(2017-11-06 19:35)billzab Wrote:  I am still listening with SO turned off and will give it a go in a few weeks or so. I did try it for a few songs using my old saved configuration, but did not like the sound. I find I lose a lot of bass when I use The SO configuration calculated by Konfig.
I have a suggestion for a possible 'quick and dirty' test you can do.

If SO is taking out too much bass, go into Konfig, make SO active, and set all modes to calculated. Apply the calculation, and save it if you wish. Test with some music that has a well-defined bass component to confirm that SO has indeed removed more bass response than you would wish.

The drop-down list of modes normally defaults to the lowest mode (No. 1). Change the gain figure for each channel to reduce the attenuation by 6dB (so a gain figure of -21.36dB should be changed to -15.36dB). Why 6dB? In effect, that doubles the energy level at the filtered frequency. (Note that hearing sensitivity is logarithmic rather than arithmetic in character, so double the sound energy is a lot less than double the perceived loudness).

When you listen again, you should hear more bass. If the bass is still too light, there are two things you can do. The conventional next step is to adjust Mode 1 even further, say by another 3dB. However, if your modes list shows you that there is another mode (typically Mode 2 or 3) that makes a deep cut, particularly in the range 40Hz to 60Hz, you could try adjusting that mode by 6dB as well (leave the change to Mode 1 in place when you do this).

At this point, in my experience with my system when it was still passive, you should be getting a bass response you like much better. This is a good time to save the SO settings you now have and compare the system with SO on and off.

If you do things in this simple way before you immerse yourself in the detail of the Linn SO documentation and/or Paulssurround's recommendations, you will have a clearer idea of what all that good advice is about. I found that, even with the crude adjustments I have suggested, SO brought the system to life in a new way, and I never went back to running with SO switched off.

I hope this helps.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-11-07, 07:53 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-07 07:58 by Tin.)
By default SO will assume you don't have anything in your room hindering the roommodes, so the calculations will take away to much. The easiest method is to just decrease all values by 6dB, or put them at 60%, just as you fancy.

The more thorough approach takes more time:

Once you have written down the initial calculated modes, put them all to 0, except the steepest calculated one that you lower by 6dB as David suggests. See how that compares with SO at 0. If neccesary move it to the left or right as well and see how that works. Don't be afraid if the calculated value seems to be really off. It is an approximation and houses are never perfectly squarish. Save the configuration under an recognisable name so you can revisit it. If you're getting close to the correct value, make it narrower so it becomes more specific.
If you're happy with the final position and depth of the first mode, bring in the second highest one and repeat the same trick.
When you have done the 3 or 4 strongest modes, you could stop. It will be increasingly difficult to get the rest, so either leave them at 0, or at a low value. By this time you'll already have a huge improvement.
In my room there is really only a single mode that really 'ruins' the music, treating the other ones gave impressive improvements as well, but I could have easily lived with the treatment of that single most important one. That one was really bugging me.
When you're done, you could retry the process after a week or so and compare the outcome with the first iteration.
You can always revert to earlier outcomes if you save each try under a different name.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-07, 13:31
Thanks David and Tin. I will be giving SO some of my time soon and I will try your suggestions first. I will let you know how I get on.

Bill.

QNAP 212P | Minimserver